Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Etägbemòng: Omerta In The Deep  (Read 5518 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Etägbemòng: Omerta In The Deep
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:11:30 am »

Speak softly, dwarf, (but not as softly as an elf)
Say one wrong word and I might strangle you myself
We're in a world of Armok's own,
And we'll have riches few have ever known

Wine-flooded days deep in the earth,
We'll let no siege delay our mirth

Speak softly, dwarf, so none can hear us but the Giant Eagles sky,
Our mines are deep, our dwarves are stout, our towers high
We live short lives, but that's because
Despite all else, we're governed by our flaws

The room was darkly lit; a single shaft of torchlight cast just enough illumination on the two dwarves seated across from each other that they could make out the features of one anothers' faces.

"I believe in the mountainhomes," Started the first dwarf. "The mountainhomes have made my fortune. And I raised my daughter in the dwarven fashion; on booze. She found a boyfriend, an engraver. One day a miner accidentally destroyed one of his engravings. And what did he do? He beat my daughter, like an animal."

The speaker began to sob. The other dwarf motioned to a shadowy figure nearby, who quickly brought a stone mug of beer over and set it on the marble table between them.

"Sorry. I.. I went to the Fortress Guard, like a good dwa--"

But he never finished his story. Without warning, the door to the room burst open, revealing three dwarves holding upraised crossbows. A rain of bolts punched through the unsuspecting speaker before he had time to scream, and a fine red mist of blood settled over the desk and chair. The two figures in the dark corners of the room quickly returned fire, while the dwarf still seated at the other side of the desk, miraculously unharmed, stood and charged towards the attackers. Within moments two lay dead at his feet, while the third ran down the long torchlit hall away from him. Back in the room one of his guards lay bleeding to death on the floor; the other, sporting a nasty wound in one of his legs, limped over.

"Boss.. you okay?"

Panting, Ast 'The Hatchet' Bloodpillar wiped the blood on his axe-blade off with a silk kerchief. "Yeah. Get a hold of the boys and let them know we're making a move. This place has gotten too hot."

The guard nodded, then began limping off in the opposite direction that last attacker had fled in. Ast closed and locked the door, then moved over to his bloodstained desk and sat back down. It was going to be a long day.

+==\==+
| |  \  |
| |  |  |
| |  |  |
----==============================----

Why a Mafia-themed fortress? Why not, I say!

Available:
Associates - Join with immigrant waves.

Available Positions:
Associate

So, what I need from you, good people:
-Name
-Weapon-affinity (If your dwarf doesn't come trained in its use, they'll be trained eventually)

Out of the following three stats, choose one at 'Below Average', one at 'Good', and one at 'Exceptional':
-Loyalty (Are you trustworthy?)
-Moxy (Do you have the right stuff?)
-Guts (Are you a mouse, or a dwarf?)

Migrants will be admitted to the fortress as Associates. They may, in time, prove themselves worthy of becoming Made Dwarves.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:40:00 am by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
Re: Etägbemòng: Omerta In The Deep
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 03:18:55 am »

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 04:10:37 am »

Consigliere Orycteropus
Hammerdwarf
Exeptional Loyaltyood Moxy
Below average guts

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 04:31:24 am »

Soldato Barrantino

Swordsdwarf

Loyalty: Below Average
Moxy: Exceptional
Guts: Good
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 04:35:21 am by Impending Doom »
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

RandomRandomUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 04:39:28 am »

M.C. Hammer

Hammerdwarf, Soldato

Exceptional guts,
Good loyalty,
Below average moxy
You live and learn then you die and forget it all

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 06:41:33 am »

Nojh

Macedwarf, Caporegime

Exceptional Moxy
Good Loyalty
Below Average Guts
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 11:01:27 am »

Two more and we're off!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:35:50 am by Lord Dullard »

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 11:08:56 am »

You've sold me.  This is a fantastic idea!

Likot "The Red Hand" Istamdolush
Female Speardwarf, Underboss

Loyalty: Exceptional
Moxy: Below Average

Edit: I just thought up a little bit of back story for Likot, if you had some in mind already for the Starting Seven that's perfectly fine by me.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:12:39 am by Heavy Flak »

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kung Fu Kingdom - An RTS with Kung Fu!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 11:20:29 am »

Snoopicus "The Red Baron"
Caporegimes
Speardwarf

Exceptional Moxy
Good Guts
Below Average Loyalty (He always did think he was better than the other bosses, but he was smart enough to keep it to himself. That's how he got where he is today)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:22:02 am by Snoopicus »
Snoopicus: What is the kill radius of lava heat?
Snugglybear: I''ve seen it, I think, kill dudes one level above it. But the guy was falling into it at the time, as a dwarven sacrifice. So it''s hard to say.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:36:32 am »

Added and added. Anyone else who wants to join will be added at the first immigrant wave as an Associate. Onwards!

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 11:40:55 am »

Ok,

Name: Jon "Kilowatt" McGhee
Family: Spranoo
Weapon Specialty: Marksdwarf

Exceptional Moxy
Good Loyalty
Below Average guts

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 11:49:49 am »

You've sold me.  This is a fantastic idea!

Likot "The Red Hand" Istamdolush
Female Speardwarf, Underboss

Edit: I just thought up a little bit of back story for Likot, if you had some in mind already for the Starting Seven that's perfectly fine by me.

For the most part, save for some major details, I'm going to leave the past of the story sort of a 'Big Fuzzy Blank', so backstories should be fine.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 12:48:14 pm »

\   
+==\==+
| |  \  |
| |  |  |
| |  |  |
----==============================---
Prelude
1 Granite, 1051
----------------------------------------------
It was dank and humid. Ferns, willows, and palm trees all swayed in the wind as if they were made of rubber. Thick vegetation brushed about the seven dwarves' legs.

"Bastard mosquitoes," One of them complained. It was Snoopicus, one of the Capos, sometimes referred to as 'The Red Baron'. "They've got more of my blood than I do."

"We need to put up somewhere soon, Boss," Said another. This one was Orycteropus, the Family's Consigliere. "All this humidity's going to get to the supplies if we don't get them somewhere dry."

Ast tugged on his beard. It was true, they needed to find cover soon, and not just because of the supplies. The Utharziril Family, their rivals, had spilled much Nazushobok blood, and they were hungry for more. Ast's father and two brothers had all been killed in the space of two years. The situation was grim. Undermanned and led by a relatively inexperienced dwarf, the Nazushoboks would need to seek cover until they could strike back.

Barrantino, one of the few soldiers that had survived the blood war back in their home, pointed north. Tall, wispy-looking mountains loomed in that direction. "The foothills of those mountains should be drier than here. Lower down on the slopes, there's enough tree cover to keep any Utharziril cabnuls from spotting us."

"He's right, Ast," Likot added. The Underboss stood on his right, the butt of her spear planted in the wet ground under their boots. "Those hills will be safe.. or as safe as we can hope for."

Ast nodded. Likot had served his father well, and that was good enough for him. "Alright, we'll head north. Let's go." The sound of seven sets of boots rhythmically plodding through the thick muck started up once again.

Armok, watch over the Family, thought Ast.

The map!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:24:01 pm by Lord Dullard »

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 01:03:15 pm »

Stravitch "The Red Hammer"

Male Hammerdwarf
If I can request I would like to be under the underboss Heavyflak

He'll be a muscle-bound lacky that does anything the boss says unflinchingly without a second guess.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:05:11 pm by Stravitch »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
Intermission: So How Do These Stats Work, Anyway?
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 01:22:09 pm »

So How Do These Stats Work, Anyway?
=============================

This story will progress in Scenes. A 'scene' may last anywhere from one to several posts. Each scene is part of an Act, which is simply a set of related scenes with an over-arching plot.

In each scene that your character participates in, I will roll three die for their stats. These die will be D3 for their Exceptional stat, d4 for their Good stat, and d5 for their Below Average stat.

The target number to roll at or below is 2. Therefore Exceptional stats have a 2/3 chance of success, Good have 1/2, and Below Average have 2/5.

Each stat may or may not come into play during a scene, but I will have your character 'act' according to their stat rolls if they're applicable. If those dirty elves try to hire on a spy and your character fails their Loyalty roll, guess who the elven mole is? (Clue: it's you!)

I'll be posting the results of die rolls and such through the story at the end of each scene.

(Yes, I make things pretty complicated, don't I? But my Thoughts page has a 'He is disorganized' in there, and this sort of structure helps me keep things straight!)
Pages: [1] 2 3