Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unusually barren map  (Read 1588 times)

AMRIV

• Bay Watcher
  • [MISCHIEVIOUS]
    • View Profile
Unusually barren map
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:34:46 pm »

Alright so I'm rather new so I thought I'd use one of the seeds from the Dwarf Fortress wiki. I ended up doing some rather silly things and decided that with my new learnings I could do a lot better if I just restarted the map. This actually happens a couple of times to tell the truth. Anyway on the latest, and hopefully last iteration of this map I notice that there are no plants. I thought about it and decided to go ahead and go with it anyway. But I thought that Toady might want to investigate this phenomenon in any case.

Notable information:

-There are no plants or wandering animals. Also the frogmen usually found in the underground pond are missing.

-The Legendary Ettin and his giant moles are still present.
-I did not assign anyone grower or planter skills.I don't think this is the cause but I thought I'd mention it.
-I still have an old save of the map in region 1 (which does have vegetation).
-I use  Mike Mayday's graphic mod, though I don't think that should cause problems.

-I have a save of it available.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=238

I am interested to know if any of that will come back though. Also I hope it does not hinder my attempt at a tower cap forest.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:38:59 pm by AMRIV »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unusually barren map
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:36:29 pm »

On a kinda-related note, I've noticed that sometimes when you embark onto a desert map that still has some plants, shortly after embarking, plants start springing up all over the place. It's like the biome says there should be scarce plants, but the water table says there should be plentiful plants, so the game has to do some catching up when you arrive.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Alenth Eneil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:40:57 am »

Does it involve multiple biomes?
Sometimes I just generate worlds and read all the funny names.
(|||)

AMRIV

• Bay Watcher
  • [MISCHIEVIOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:22:40 am »

I think it does have more than one biome, yes.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 09:33:01 am »

I had this problem once, too.  I found a really nice spot with plenty of plants and trees.  (One of the biomes was temperate/woodland, I believe, and at least one other was mountain.)  Things went bad, and I regenerated the world from the seed.  Upon embarking this second time, I send out a dwarf to gather plants so I could acquire seeds for above-ground farming.  (The dwarf had zero skill, if that is relevant.)  But there were no plants.  No trees either, I noticed.  I waited a short while, but nothing appeared.  And seeing that I had brought no seeds of my own, I gave up.  I regenerated the world from the seed again, and embarked a third time.  This time everything was fine once again regarding the plant growth.

Valandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 11:00:44 am »

I think this is allready a known bug (I remember a thread not so long ago about no trees)

I think it is affected by on which biodome your wagon ends up

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 11:34:22 am »

I think this is allready a known bug (I remember a thread not so long ago about no trees)

I think it is affected by on which biodome your wagon ends up

Ah, yes, now that someone mentioned that, yes.  Especially when there are vast heights the wagon can end up on, always make sure it ends up in the lowest one (have the forest be the highlighted biome before embarking) or the Tree Line gets FUBARed.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 11:24:38 pm »

Rather than the recent biome line one, this is perhaps related to

000691 whether or not you exit and save between embarks influences whether or not you have trees

which I haven't really got a clue on.

Was the world here regenerated each time or were you talking about reclaims?

What is that a save of?  A fresh world that doesn't get trees, where the other one got them?

I wonder how this could be made to reproduce -- perhaps if you generate the same world multiple times and then start without shutting down?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

AMRIV

• Bay Watcher
  • [MISCHIEVIOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 07:35:46 pm »

I used a fresh world each time. The save is of that fresh world with no trees or plants. Well, mostly fresh. I did some planning before I thought to make a copy for the bug report. And yes, previous plays did have trees, plants, deer, and frogmen (in the underground pool). I think it might be the biome issue that was mentioned, but I'm not sure since the wagon was in the same spot it always was.

If you're curious the seed is from the wiki (http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Pregenerated_worlds) and is seed 3593291792, the Realm of Typhoons, about halfway down the page.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 08:46:19 pm »

Okay, I've downloaded it and I'll take a look at some point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!