Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suicide-Proof Fortress  (Read 1582 times)

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suicide-Proof Fortress
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:28:29 pm »

I just had an idea for a fortress challenge. I read a lot about melancholy dwarves comitting suicide and beserk legendary dwarves killing off entire fortress populations before being subdued by kittens or something.

Here's the challenge:
-Make your fortress as impervious to melancholy and/or beserk dwarves as possible, while facilitating the means to get melancholy and/or beserk dwarves. Try and hold as many melancholy dwarves at once in your fortress.

You'd probably have to do things like have no loose items anywhere in the fortress, keep stored items in lockable rooms, have no sharp drops, replacing them all with ramps, etc...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide-Proof Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 10:51:53 pm »

It won't work, if dwarves can't find any other  way to kill themselves then they commit suicide by not eating to death.

actually no matter what form of insanity they get (berzerk, melancholy, babbling) they stop eating and drinking right then and there and die eventually.

Also the best 'insane proof' fort is one with a 20x20 masterfully engraved dining room with adamantine furniture :p
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 11:00:46 pm »

Ah, dwarves. The only species that can go to hell and back and still feel great because they ate in a legendary dining room.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 11:35:04 pm »

I just had an idea for a fortress challenge. I read a lot about melancholy dwarves comitting suicide and beserk legendary dwarves killing off entire fortress populations before being subdued by kittens or something.

Here's the challenge:
-Make your fortress as impervious to melancholy and/or beserk dwarves as possible, while facilitating the means to get melancholy and/or beserk dwarves. Try and hold as many melancholy dwarves at once in your fortress.

You'd probably have to do things like have no loose items anywhere in the fortress, keep stored items in lockable rooms, have no sharp drops, replacing them all with ramps, etc...

There is no such thing as a suicide-proof fortress. Even if you make them stop eating and drinking, they shall still find a way. For you see, Dwarves, while as Makrond said are fine just because they ate on a silver platter, they will also find innumerable ways to kill themselves.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 11:49:02 pm »

I had thought about the idea of a "berserk proof" design where you sanction off each dwarf into their own little rooms.  I just need to figure out how to make a door system or food drop that I can have a few loose dwarfs assigned to distribute food and supplies to the workers.  The easy part is mining out a workshop space, bedroom, and well.  The hard part is getting them food without interacting with other dwarfs.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 12:34:17 am »

You can use dump zones to do one-way transfers of goods between z-levels. It's a lot of micro-management, though, since you then have to un-forbid the goods for them to become usable.

I did have the amusing idea of a vertically-layered fortress. You'd have the farmers on the top; they'd make food and drop it down to the next level, which would be the carpenters; they'd make barrels, beds, and bins, and drop them and the extra food down to the brewers, who'd add booze and drop down to the miners, who would add ore and drop to the smelters, who'd add bars, to the smiths, and so on. At the bottom you have the trader and the trade depot; he exports everything the fort makes, then climbs to the top of the tower and drops supplies on the farmers.

Amusing, but the micro'd be hell. And it's not suicide-proof in the least, since melancholy dwarves would jump down the transfer chutes (which would only be one z-level tall, each, but then you have dwarves on the wrong levels and that's no good).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 01:56:39 am »

So... this would basically be a dwarven psychiatric asylum?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 02:01:17 am »

I believe my previous statement, which I spent a good deal of thought preparing, still holds true.

"Dwarves are very stubborn creatures...  They will kill themselves if it's the last thing they do!"

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 02:41:35 am »

No "open space" everything vertical is a staircase.
No exposed fluids.
Doors EVERYWHERE to avoid berserkers.
No meeting rooms and minimal contact with other dwarves.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 05:02:53 am »

The only way for a fortress to be suicide proof is for it to be encased entirely in adamantine (with air holes of course), have a self-sustaining food supply, have every room padded and every single dwarf comes into no contact with another dwarf, with no weapons, armor, shields, sharp edges, farming implements, tools, workshops, Z levels aside from the walls, or furniture. And even then I'd have my doubts. :D
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!