Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 38c, hunters work in stealth mode?  (Read 1959 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
38c, hunters work in stealth mode?
« on: June 17, 2008, 10:47:12 pm »

Another strange problem. So I was building a bigass wall. When it was completed I ended up with a solid wall 15 levels high and a solid wall of staircases which was just as big.

I started to dismantle the staircase level by level and I noticed something odd. The rangers who came to dismantle the wall took almost 4 times as long to dismantle the stairs as the other dwarves. Also I modded this game so that dwarves move a lot faster. It seems that the rangers in my fortress all move and mine very slowly as well. Since all of the other dwarves zip around like roadrunner the slowly moving rangers stand out a lot.

Presumably whats happening is that dwarves with the hunting job stay in stealth mode even when they are not actually hunting. Otherwise hunting works normally as they gank any polar bear that happens to show up at my fort.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: 38c, hunters work in stealth mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:37:03 pm »

Okay, I'll check it out at some point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 09:17:57 pm »

Children also seem to take so long to deconstruct something they get hungry/thirsty/tired and quit, leaving the job to someone else, possibly another child to repeat.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:58:46 pm »

Children work? Is that using a utility?
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:23:37 pm »

Children work? Is that using a utility?
Children will do any task which "requires no special profession" IME. e.g. removing constructions, pulling levers, harvesting and so on
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:50:51 am »

I know, but I have never seen a child remove construction. I can't think of a single construction that doesn't require either masonry or carpentry.

Unless you mean something like a rope or cage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 09:56:38 am »

I know, but I have never seen a child remove construction. I can't think of a single construction that doesn't require either masonry or carpentry.

Unless you mean something like a rope or cage.
Making constructions require a job. Removing them requires a sense of destruction.

Which one do you think the kids have? Woeking on a child swarming fortress now with a megaproject, I can assure you that children remove constructions.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO