Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpile orders  (Read 907 times)

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stockpile orders
« on: June 17, 2008, 08:52:24 pm »

This might already be included in the "burrows" concept, but it would be helpful to have stockpiles that not only generate hauling orders, but also, optionally, generate creation orders (where feasible -- ie, workshop exists, dwarf that can and will perform labor exists, raw materials exist). Presumably the order would be for a random item out of the list of feasible items -- if you want more predictable results, narrow the stockpile paramters. Of course, setting a maximum threshold beyond which creation orders are no longer issued is also probably helpful.

Thus, create a charcoal stockpile by my smelter and wood burners will automatically keep it filled. If you have some "as needed" designations for, e.g., woodcutting, the woodcutter and haulers could then keep the wood burner's stockpile filled once it got too low, instead of leveling an entire forest at once, or requiring you to periodically toss out designations.

This could also be used to prevent overflows, e.g. too much food, if you let stockpile needs dictate when demand for a good is tapped out. This may be critical when some of the food-hoarding penalty bloats go in.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpile orders
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:18:03 pm »

We've discussed this previously, though as a Manager screen ability.
If (plump_helmets < 100) { plant_seeds; }

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 10:24:24 am »

Happy anniversary!

Also, I support this idea.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Mathias

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 06:08:45 pm »

I must say I really like this idea.

However, there may be a slight problem here, regarding 'who does what' in a fortress. I mean, the manager (dwarf in charge of the workshop orders) may be a different individual than the record keeper (dwarf who'd notice empty stockpiles).

Now, this (okay, minor) problem may be solved by simply
1. Having the record keeper generate orders for the manager directly;
or
2. having the record keeper running up to the manager, and interrupting whatever he's doing:
    "Urist Beardfires, manager cancels Sleep: Getting shouted at."
or
3. Something else.

Regardless, noticing whether or not stuff is running out in a stockpile would be the record keeper's job, I'd say...

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 06:55:03 pm »

Currently #2 in the Eternal Suggestion Voting thread.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:34:37 pm »

Now, this (okay, minor) problem may be solved by simply
1. Having the record keeper generate orders for the manager directly;

This.  Essentially the Record Keeper is leaving memos for the Manager who approves the jobs when he gets around to it.  If they're the same person it'd basically be adding work to his own "in" box.