Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winter killed me, not from hunger, but from thirst.  (Read 1083 times)

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Winter killed me, not from hunger, but from thirst.
« on: June 17, 2008, 05:50:25 pm »

My first lost game other than abandoning fortresses. I used an already discovered world and settled down on a piece of land that had everything that I needed, except sand, but the magma makes up for that. Winter came, it was nearing the end of mid-winter and I was digging towards the magma for later. But let me tell the tale of my short lived fortress that didn't even make it a year.

My Dwarves settled in this nice little place, they began digging but had very little soil on the first layer. Just enough to make a farm and a few small storage rooms. I dig downwards then north to find an ocean load of soil. While that was happening one of my hunters and a woodcutter were killed by a troll. I spent half a month searching for it before I found more than I bargained for, well not much more but still. My unarmed Dwarves, all 12 of them (I got some immigrants) fought like crazy against 2 trolls then 2 other creatures ran away, Trogdorashes or something. There was 1 or 2 deaths, I'll check the coffins later. Meanwhile I posted by Swordsdwarve (also leader) around the fortress to protect from more attacks, no reason really why because I lost all my woodcutters and hunters.

Everything went back to normal, I had too much stone and in Autumn someone apparently just then realized they had a broken arm from the fight with the trolls and was stuck in bed. The Dwarve merchants came and we traded some of the clothes from my dead Dwarves (who I was building a tomb for) and everything went well. They left and near the beginning of Winter the ponds froze over and I never found that underground river. I also apparently ran out of alcohol and I had almost nothing to brew. Time went on, Mid-winter, the wounded guy dies. The child immigrant I got after the merchants came died while in bed (he wasn't even wounded, wtf, why was he stuck in bed?)

Soon a farmer and jewelcrafter died. While one of the miners were about to the mining spot, he died. All from thirst. Soon they fell left and right. My sheriff went berserk and constantly kept going into a mad rage then back to normal again. He soon died. Eventually only 1 person was left, my brewer. He was rushing towards the brewery only to die from thirst right outside its doors.

I plan to come back with a reclaiming crew and get that damn magma and find that underground river.

Well, I came back... with 70 dwarves >_<
I'm going to make some coffins to house the dead bodies, and some more for when I kill the excess dwarves.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 06:18:32 pm by Reinecker »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Winter killed me, not from hunger, but from thirst.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 07:51:14 pm »

Losing is fun!

Nice story, but ... you had a farm, why weren't you brewing?

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 08:16:24 pm »

I was more focused on getting the magma, also I figured I would be alright for the winter and I didn't make a brewery till late Autumn. I regenerated the world to avoid the 70 dwarf problem. A whole new story arose. I feel like telling what has happened this tragic time that almost ended up in complete failure.

I land with 1 male, who is the trader and leader, then the rest are females. One of them are a Proficient swordsdwarve and she has a shortsword too. Well right when I embark I am attacked by trolls. After killing them and making sure everything is clear when I am transferring my supplies to my cave site I dig down one level to get to the soil and start farming. Everything goes good and I figure I can make it without dogs for awhile. I start the farming industry, getting ready to brew if I can't find the underground river. I start up a simple industry of being able to make the necessities so I start looking for the river.

I find some damp stone and I know that this is it. Now wanting to flood my fortress with an infinite water source, I dig upwards then create a hole so I can access the river. There it was, in all it's glory. No more worrying about thirst. Instead I created a much much bigger problem. My miner is killed by a frogman. My only other miner comes and kills it then gets overcome by more various monsters flooding from the river. I get my swordsman lady to come and deal with them, after all there wasn't too many and she was proficient. She instantly dies, not taking one down with her. Not wanting them to come and kill my animals I draft my whole fortress to fight off the invaders. There was no survivors. Except one, my woodcutter/carpenter. She has a yellow arm which healed very fast and a yellow lower body which is still yellow to this day. I know what I must do. I must wall off the fortress from the river.

She is walking back into the developed part of the fortress when a frogman attacks her. I am about screaming "no" at my monitor and about at tears to see that my fortress was ready to fall. She kills it without taking a hit.  :-\
Well after making her only do things which involve not going back in that bloody hellhole, I wall it up.

So far everything has been going good, I'm in mid-Summer and the farm is going very good and I am planning to start brewing soon. She is building coffins for the dead and beds for the immigrants which should arrive soon. After I get my immigrants I plan to go back into that hellhole, recover the bodies and shortsword then wall it back up only destroying the wall when my people are about to die from thirst.

Oh wait, the bodies have already completely rotted, now there is only bones. Well I will open it up just to take back the bones anyways.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 08:21:53 pm by Reinecker »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:40:22 pm »

In all reality water sources are a very shabby second-best for drinking purposes. Dwarves need alcohol to function correctly.

This means that, ideally, you should focus on setting up a brewery ASAP. Once your farm is humming along, convert all of its produce to alcohol. Food needs should be taken care of by cooking the alcohol down; this not only provides dwarves with excellent food that will give them happy thoughts, but it also increases the value of your fortress (because food is currently ridiculously overpriced).

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 09:11:30 pm »

I forgot to put the meeting zone inside and my last dwarf got killed by a Trogdorash(?) while sleeping.

Reclaim gave me 70 dwarves again. I'm making them build a device that will flood the lower level of my fortress, but not the people controlls the floodgates who will still have access over the unflooded regions of the level. Then after every dwarf that I don't need is dead then I will drain out the level and make sure no more water from the river can get through.

I just can't take care of 70 dwarves off the bat, I have to work up to 70 otherwise it is hard for me and it is no fun.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 09:27:55 pm by Reinecker »

RandomRandomUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 03:04:12 pm »

This 70 dwarf reclaim thing sounds pretty hardcore! You need to build a really big farm straight away and designate some dedicated growers and brewers, also make sure you have lots of plump helmet spawn, they only cost 1 point each so it's definitely worth getting 50 or so.

I am currently playing a map with an underground river and magma (one I found myself) but what I did is mine out a path that led to a reservoir on the floor on the same level as the river.. Then I set up a floodgate between the river and the channel and linked it to a lever. Finally, I opened the floodgate, channeled in the space between the river and the path from the floor above, then waited till the reservoir was almost full and pulled the lever again. After that I could easily build a well over the reservoir. Textbook.

Later on things went a bit  :-\ when I wanted to build a bridge over the river and didn't realise the creatures could climb out. Luckily my mason ran away and I walled the passage back up.
You live and learn then you die and forget it all

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 04:09:43 pm »

I had a reclaim with 70 dwarves, first they started to die from lack of alcohol. After that they where done with that the rest killed each others by tantrumming. In the end only one guy survived and he ended up being the leader for the immigrants that arrived, a real conqueror who fought to get into power.

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 06:31:33 pm »

I'm still trying to get my system set up. It seems right away after I embark all of those 70 dwarves either tantrum or sit around drooling. I just need to hook up the lever and a pressure plate and I am done.