Yes
- 12 (60%)
No
- 8 (40%)
Other (below)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Square Obstruction  (Read 3909 times)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Square Obstruction
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 06:10:26 pm »

Or just throwing out the limitation that an object has to have a SIZE value of one through seven, and allowing any integer from 1 to 255. Maybe there could even be a SIZE zero, for stuff that's so small even 255 of it wouldn't offer any obstruction, such as seeds.
Oh yeah, kinda strayed from the original idea there.. 0-7 would be just 3 more bits per square of land instead of a full byte. I'm not sure if it's possible to actually make a modern program accept an entity between 1 bit and 1 byte in size though. Without assembly.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »

I posted the idea of a 1-square difference doesn't 'flow' elsewhere.
That way, large 1-square dump-zone piles will become pyramid-ish piles.
Then again, if I wanted an orderly stack, I would put the items in a bin or a barrel or something.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 12:05:31 pm »

There'd have to be extra checks on item hauling once item piles are in to prevent Dwarfs from trying to grab the nearest item, even if they have to move a mountain of junk to get to it. Like a situation where you want a stone block of a certain color, but the nearest one of that type to the mason's workshop is at the bottom of the stone disposal dump pile. The Dwarfs'll need some mechanisim to figure out how much stuff'll need to be moved to get to the target, and a way to figure if it's just easier to go elsewhere for the stone, or even say if it's just too much effort either way.

And even if they determine that digging the stone out of the pile is better, how do they go about it? Start moving items from the edge on the same z-level, or from above? Maybe a system of temporary supports, walls, stairs, and floors that they could install to work through a deep pile without having to move half the stuff on the higher z-levels, then disassemble when finished. The player could get involved and micromange the building of all that, but it'd be one more pain to add to the pile.
Pages: 1 2 [3]