Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Toady, listen up and answere some questions. Now.  (Read 2648 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Toady, listen up and answere some questions. Now.
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 09:13:00 am »

I am beginning to think this tread was a really bad idea, Toadys post if there will be any is the one to determine if it was worth it.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 09:14:00 am »

I don't see how this is arrogant AT ALL

these are normal questions, and I I would sure like to know if Toady also chuckled when the goblin in Nist Akath said "Dirt shine good"

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 10:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:

... stuff...

Sorry to do such a hostile sounding thread

... more stuff...

Yeeaah, this thread could go the same as the When does the action start? rather easily. Too much hostility and all.

That being said, your questions are valid, even if your tone is harsh. I believe Toady One said during the interview that when he upgrades the forums he's just going to toss the old one out.

quote:

RPPR Interview with Tarn Adams, Creator of Dwarf Fortress
77:40 - 78:85
(in reference to upload limits on the site)

TA: ... 'cause I'm probably moving forums soon, that was the main thing, 's 'cause I've got this creaky creaky ass old 2001 Ultimate Bullitin Board. And I need to move that, and I can't really move it it's kind of just stuck in the site. It's just this nasty old thing.

RPPR: Exporting all the users 's going to be a pain

TA: Yeah, just exporting everything. So I'm just going to start clean but maybe I should start clean somewhere else.

What I'd recommend is archiving the old forum, basically locking everything then moving it.

Note: I'm sorry if any swearing Toady did offends anybodies delicate sensibilities   :(

[ May 21, 2008: Message edited by: Surma ]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 10:54:00 am »

I think before toady moves the forum, the authors should simply save their treads
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 11:00:00 am »

I've got to admit, the idea of these forums getting shut down - even if it is to move to a better system - fills me with this cold dread.  There are a lot of good suggestions, a lot of good stories, a lot of useless-but-fun threads kicking around that ... may be wiped?  May just be locked down and would need to be relinked?  

I don't claim to know much about forum software, and I don't want to go throwing people under the bus, but is this an instance where the forum members could help Toady out?  Surely there are a few people versed as admins that kick around here that would be willing to help out a forum move to pipe over users and threads, and make it go as smoothly as possible.

If you do read this thread, Toady, I know you're all for keeping most things in house but would this be an acceptable time to ask for assistance?  And to the people who might be reading this - anyone have ideas on (or have done anything like) moving forums from one system to another?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 11:20:00 am »

Wait, the forums are being moved?  I heard it in the interview myself but I was unaware it would be right away...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 11:25:00 am »

the date for the move is not set yet, and knowing toady is busy programming, it might take a while before he starts looking for better forum software

yet, getting all of these miniature masterpieces get removed would be a shame

that's why I really press this matter:

Save every tread you want to be carried over

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 11:30:00 am »

This forum is a bunch of fun babble. The game is what's important. Toady and Three Toe are already so creative, I think what we add to the game outside bug reports could be easily ignored and they would still create an awesome game. After all, things were going awfully well even before such triumphs of literary genius as Nist Akath.

Arrogance is not a virtue. It's a vice on the axis of confidence. Confidence is good, but consider that:

Too much confidence + lack of communication skills required to soften your approach + lack of enough discretion to know the limits of your communication skills = arrogance = Armok's OP.

I may be unfairly targeting Armok here, but seriously dude. Lighten up. Your emo drama is waay up heah, and we need you to tone it down to right about heah. Capisce? And if a forum wipe counts as a "terrible weight" on your shoulders, wipe off your runny mascara and start learning about history, sociology, and politics. There are more important issues to spend time thinking about.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 11:31:00 am »

That was exactly what I thought Heavy Flak, except I get ten times more dreed.
Really, not to be blasphermic but I would consider the forums getting wiped just as bad as the source getting wiped; after all that's a lot of work but it's reproducible, Toady probably have much of it in his head and some stuff has been rewritten, even losing the entire source would probably "only" take a year of so to get back to about were it were before. All the stories here on the other hand... if that's lost then it's lost, many of the authors are gone, and there is the equivalents of many well written books here.

Actually, I have a few 100GB or so sitting around that I won't use for a while, maybe I could just get it all in it's raw form? Really, even if there wasn't/isn't going to move just as a safety in case something happens to the server, I'd be glad to be of service.
And I get it assessable of line to for my own use...
Really, even if it's only the text and not the users and pictures and so on we'd still have saved the most important stuff.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 11:56:00 am »

Well I agree that losing most of this stuff would be a shame, but a forum upgrade is needed.  

I'm sure Toady would give us plenty of warning when it does happen.  Plenty of time for us to back up what we want.  He may also accept those backups when the new forum is up and have some way to recreate them on the new board.

As a side note, how exactly do you back up a website to a hard drive?  I've never needed to do it and don't know.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

STOP

E-DRAMA TREAD STOP

I have enough to do being a mod on a forum with thousands of members who do barely get along. I do not wish to see this forum, which has one of the most peaceful and creative userbase I have ever seen, to argue over such tings.

Armok, do and edit the topic a bit, so that it loses the hostility. the others, stop picking on armok because he is genuinely concerned about tons of quality content getting lost. It might look silly in your eyes and might not warrant such a harsh tone, but he has the right to do so.

And now, HOSTILITY STOP

go and re-read the first few chapters of boatmurdered, that will brighten up your mood. if that doesn't help, scetch up an insane deathtrap for the elves and crush them with all your might. if you are still not happy after that, dunno, throw rocks at the birds in front of you window

STOP

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

I actually agree whit that last post Akroma, that's kinda what I meant when I said in the end of the OP that it could be taken the wrong way.
I will edit it as soon as Toady has answered, is that enough?
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

Somehow when I read Armok's posts, I picture a small, raging little imp, wearing a crown, and a sign around his neck reading "Armok, God of da Blooodz", swinging a pitchfork angrily, muttering cantrips and curses that merely singe and produce the smell of foul, rotten eggs, hopping up and down, producing small little puffs of smoke from his ears and a minute cloud of dust about his feet, pointing his pitchfork at passersby in the town square, with a tiny chain about his ankle attached to a huge iron ball, his wings flapping with frustrated but tireless seething outrage, his body impotent, ignorable, and utterly useless and rather pointless. Nevertheless, everyone doing their business in the town square get a small kick every time they see him, and they say, "Ah, there's that angry little imp that calls himself Armok. He's been here since.. well, since forever, I guess. I guess he's just part of the ambiance now."
火族

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

Um, Akroma? Calm down. Being a mod on some random forum somewhere doesn't make you the Guardian of Peace on the Internet. Your telegram was unnecessary and a tiny bit irritating.

And caps is for losers.

As for the forum vs source thing - if we lost the forum I expect we'd still use it. If Toady lost his source ... well that's who knows how many (thousands?) hours down the drain.

It's pointless to talk about losing the source actually, since common sense dictates Toady backs up every release on removable media or a separate drive. If I were putting that much work into something, I'd burn a CD with each release and stick them in a safe desposit box. Not that much work compared to rewriting so much code.

Just relax. Boulder in the river, man. It'll all work out fine. And if it doesn't, we'll survive somehow.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »

fuck the peace of the internet, I want peace in the DF forum, because this place is awesome, and we don't need people going around and calling people overwhelmingly arrogant (while they are not) or mocking their worries about the loss of tons and tons of amusing and interesting content, calling it emo-drama.
The tone around here is easy going and jokingly. When people joke about each other, they usually don't go over board. Even if your reply to armoks post was meant more sarcastingly than seriously, seeing the general direction and mood of this topic, such jokes will easily be mistaken and stir up aggression.
I just don't want that to happen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4