Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Daggers as side-arms  (Read 871 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Daggers as side-arms
« on: June 17, 2008, 10:20:43 am »

I've been thinking about crossbow use in melee combat, among other things, and came up with an idea.  Currently there is no use for daggers other than as a metal or trade source, depending on personal preference.  So what if daggers were implemented as a civilian/secondary weapon?  So marksdwarves could carry them in case of melee combat, and untrained civilians could carry them either as a matter of course, or in times of danger.  I.e. for fisherdwarves insisting on going to carp-infested waters, or dwarves who absolutely MUST get that ONE piece of heaven-knows-what lying in the direct path of the oncoming siege/megabeast/what-have-you, etc.  Thoughts?
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Daggers as side-arms
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 10:32:46 am »

I've always wanted something like this so that all my haulers and such could take on the thieves and babysnatchers that they run into.

Unless you can already give your civilians weapons...I haven't tried that.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 11:24:23 am »

Unless you can already give your civilians weapons...I haven't tried that.

If make your dwarves miners or woodcutters, they'll carry picks or axes everywhere. This means they get distracted when you mark out digging or tree-cutting tasks. And you'll end up with tons of Dabbling Miners and Woodcutters.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:04:14 pm »

However, only the pick uses the mining skill in combat.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 04:01:41 pm »

This is suggested constantly and is in the devnotes.    It's a good idea that'll be worked in eventually.