Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for A Dwarven Calender Reader  (Read 1345 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Looking for A Dwarven Calender Reader
« on: June 16, 2008, 10:22:21 pm »

I would like to know if any of the coders out there would be interested in creating a program to display a live time-and-date display for Fortress Mode, and/or Adventurer. If possible, it would rock quite hard of it could suppress announcements in the notice bar and display the Announcements window too.
Also, might as well give it the Combat Announcements functionality, and maybe even the ability to ignore announcements. And, maybe, have it display the number of idlers.
Call it Dwarven Status Report.

Of course, I'd do it myself, but the Calculator I once made in basic could not subtract. I was hoping that someone out there might be a little more skilled than I am and give it a go. This might make an excellent function for Tweak.

And if you don't know code any better than me, maybe you have some good functions it should have. It would probably be a lot simpler to make this just act as a reader than an editor.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for A Dwarven Calender Reader
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:40:35 pm »

would this be very complex? If it's something I could make in Visual Basic 8, you know, like
"set counter to (get date from DF)" or something, I MIGHT be able to make it. Would this be more complex than that?

Benny

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Poster
    • View Profile
    • retrojaffa
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:31:42 pm »

if your on about an external app that would read the date from df then you'd need to do some searching around in the memory, I'm sure you can pull it from there but I'd be of little to no help in that I'm afraid
On this post is an image of Benny in Obsidian. Benny is typing a reply

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:59:01 pm »

All the programming I know is just enough to display "hello world" in C. So I'm not going to be much help. However, this would be an awesome project. I'll have to go read up on memory hacking and such, now...

Scrangos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 06:06:47 pm »

I think this would be very simple if you can find the date on the memory... now finding the date on the memory sounds pretty rough :x

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 07:00:44 pm »

I'd like to see a utility that did this, as well as allowed for the creation and saving of "journal entrys."
Think about it:
Your favorite miner dies, so you pause the game, scroll to the location of the miner, then go into the utility (which would already be open in the background) and write something like: "Urist McDwarf died in a tragic magma accident," check the box labled "Save screenshot," and click save. This would then generate an entry including the fortress name (accessed from memory or inputed previously), the game-date (accessed from memory), the entry, and a screenshot of the current game screen, which would of course feature a magma flood in progress and the announcement of the miner dying, or whatever was on screen.
Every entry for a particular fort could be exported into html or bbcode, touched up a bit (add a few more screenshots, lengthen the entrys, whatever) and you have a nice, chronologically-ordered, simple fortress log. This would make community/bloodline fortresses much easier to manage, at least for people like me who can't seem to keep track of more than a few images and a text file.

This is, of course, all just my babbling about my dream utility, so if you've gotten this far, disregard all that you have just read, for your own sanity and that of those around you. Have a nice day.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 08:00:04 pm »

I'd like to see a utility that did this, as well as allowed for the creation and saving of "journal entrys."
Think about it:
Your favorite miner dies, so you pause the game, scroll to the location of the miner, then go into the utility (which would already be open in the background) and write something like: "Urist McDwarf died in a tragic magma accident," check the box labled "Save screenshot," and click save. This would then generate an entry including the fortress name (accessed from memory or inputed previously), the game-date (accessed from memory), the entry, and a screenshot of the current game screen, which would of course feature a magma flood in progress and the announcement of the miner dying, or whatever was on screen.
Every entry for a particular fort could be exported into html or bbcode, touched up a bit (add a few more screenshots, lengthen the entrys, whatever) and you have a nice, chronologically-ordered, simple fortress log. This would make community/bloodline fortresses much easier to manage, at least for people like me who can't seem to keep track of more than a few images and a text file.

This is, of course, all just my babbling about my dream utility, so if you've gotten this far, disregard all that you have just read, for your own sanity and that of those around you. Have a nice day.

If I had Novice Programmer, I'd be going Fey Mood right about now.

Time to practice, I guess.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 10:46:31 pm »

That sounds good, Tahin. I was thinking of something that you could keep to the side of the screen that would just have some simple displays of the data; hypothetically, this could be very complex or very simple. For instance, the date/time, or the average happiness of the fort. Or the number of idle dwarves by class. Or have a list of dwarves who are hungry/tired/thirsty/wounded. More of an interface tool.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 11:25:42 pm »

Ah, but think if it could be an interface tool combined with a logging tool!