Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Depiction Floods  (Read 1026 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Depiction Floods
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:59:58 pm »

I've got a common problem.  My fortress is home to a legendary stonecrafter and a legendary engraver.  The crafter is the cornerstone of my economy, the engraver is making everything pretty.  They both crank out masterpeices, hence influencing each other.

Almost every tile in my fortress is either a masterpeice engraving of a dwarf holding a masterpeice mug, or a masterpeice depiction of a masterpeice engraving of a dwarf holding a masterpeice mug.  My entryway is a hall of mirrors.

So my suggestion is, removing the creation of masterpeices from the list of picture-worthy events.  Whatever the weight given to different possibilities, if any, is quickly crowded out with just two legendary makers.

If I can make a further point from this, it would be giving more weight to making pictures of historical events.  With the vast new world-gen system, dwarves engraving events from the past would really add to the whole living world feel.

Yes, alterations to engraving have been brought up before, but I think this one is straightforward enough to suggest.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Depiction Floods
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 07:13:39 pm »

How about a limit to the amount of times it can be referenced, or something like that?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:16:11 pm »

And not having masterwork engravings "Engrave worthy"
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 07:23:14 pm »

And not having masterwork engravings "Engrave worthy"
Ahh, imitating the masters is a common way to learn. Plus it's funny.

I do think, though, that any given subject should have a relatively limited scope, both in number of engravings and in timeliness of those engravings. So right after an artifact is made, yes, get a half-dozen or so engravings of it. But if I make engravings right after the siege in which a dozen dwarfs fought off six dozen goblins and a dozen trolls, I damned well want to see cowering goblins and laughing dwarves, not that same artifact again.

The other problem with engravings is that so many of them are of dwarves surrounded by other dwarves, either laboring or traveling. While these engravings have more meaning in adventurer mode, most of the game is in fortress mode. It'd be nice if the meanings were provided in fortress mode too.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 07:29:47 pm »

But showing the deeper meanings in fortress mode would take out one of the interesting parts of adventure. I do wish that rather than "a dwarf" the look tool specified precisely WHICH dwarf it was a picture of.

I rather like masterpiece depiction flood. Get a few more legendary dwarves making masterpieces and it becomes quite colourful.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 07:31:12 pm »

I've yet to get an engraving of an artifact in any timely fashion. I waited for a mood, not engraving ANYTHING until then. Then, once I got an artifact, I turned EVERYONE to ONLY engrave, set every engravable( I know its not a real word) tile to be engraved. Checked ALL of them. Nothing of the artifact. Plenty of plump helmets. Had quite a few legendary engravers after that, no artifact engravings.

"This is an image depicting the depiction the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of a dwarf engraving the depiction the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of the depiction of a kitten and a dwarf. The kitten is striking down the dwarf. The kitten is laughing."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:36:45 pm by Joseph Miles »
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:35:20 pm »

If it isn't already in, it would be nice if events were engraved less often based on how many times they already have been, and related engravings shouldbe more likely to occur together, but identical ones should occur less often nearby.

This would make for some interesting results such as a wall devoted to the story of some dwarf hero in their tomb.

Of course, this is assuming something like this is not already in the game.
Eh?
Eh!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 09:08:59 pm »

Mayhaps the history culling could help with this...

As time passes, it becomes less important, unless it becomes part of the folktales.

AKA, a masterpiece mug would get attention for awhile, then fade away or something.

Same with, oh, lets say, a masterpiece hammer.  Then, lets say that hammer is used to disembowel several goblins.  Normally the hammers data would be culled, but it stays around and becomes part of the folktales, so there are a lot of engravings about it.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 09:17:04 pm »

Joseph: part of your problem has to do with the skill of the engravers involved. I don't think you can get engravings of history for anything less than Exceptional engravings. Below that, you get abstract stuff and basic objects. Thus my forts tend to have one engraver, who trained up to Master or so by smoothing things and then spends the rest of his time smoothing and engraving the entire fort.

Sadly, this means that a lot of the engravings are of a dwarf engraving, but oh well...
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 09:39:31 pm »

Perhaps engravable subjects should be given ratings internally. A recently engraved subject would have its rating lowered, and therefore a lower priority and likelyhood of being engraved again.

Or maybe one could have a "total engravings" statistic for each engravable subject and lower numbers would receive higher priority. Perhaps this can be used in conjunction with a fixed rating for each subject.

I just don't like hard caps, they seem rather unnatural.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 10:30:04 pm »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 10:32:49 pm »

Dwarven Anime: All the creepiness, none of the cuteness.

But yes, I would like if more engravings resembled those of temples in towns. Tose things are great.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 02:08:18 pm »

I recall there being a note in the dev log before the release we're currently playing about stolen masterworks causing less and less of an unhappy thought in the creator as he makes more of them, so the dwarf with 1 masterwork tantrums instantly, while the legendary is just a little sad for a moment, and then it passes.
Perhaps the same could be done for their engraving-chance? So if there's 20(x3) masterwork mugs, it's no longer worth depicting.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Domini0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 07:06:15 pm »

I seriously hope that we can engrave historic events. One in three of my engravings are of dwarves engraving. Another third of them are engravings of my artifacts. The majority of the last third are of dwarves surrounding a single dwarf.  I only have two legendary engravers so you must assume some lack in variety, but still. Who wants to have their tomb filled with pictures of other peoples great accomplishments and the artists who portrayed them?

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 08:25:04 pm »

I would think (dwarf psychology may be different from human psychology) that proximity would tend to -decrease- the desirability of some legend in engraving, not increase it. If you went to work with Paul Bunyan everyday, surely he'd be a little more mundane in your eyes than in the eyes of a folktale audience. It makes more sense that artifacts and legendary dwarves in your fort would have their legend travel and distort the farther away from your fort the tale goes, and (possibly) be attributed every more implausible properties ("I heard Urist McLegendaryMiner is 70 feet tall and carves passages by shouting!" "There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures Urist McRanger has allowed to live.")