Is this mod idea good or not?

Good
- 11 (64.7%)
Meh
- 6 (35.3%)
Bad
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Suggestion and Test suggestion system  (Read 967 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Suggestion and Test suggestion system
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:09:52 pm »

This is a test of a new way to post Ideas. This should make it much easier to "second" ideas you like, or gently let someone know how bad their idea is.

Now then: my suggestion.

I find the mechanics elements to be a lot of fun. What I would enjoy would be a wide variety of uses and sources of mechanical power. Some brainstorming, some of which I have picked up around the forum:

- Bellows: Increases the speed of production in adjacent forges/smelters/kilns.
- Lathe: Increases speed in standard large craft shops (mason, carpenter, Mech, Siege)
- Cutter: Increases speed in fine craft shops (craftdwarf, gemcutter, clothier, gem)
- Fan: attracts 'gases' on one side, repels them on the other. (clears Miasma, Smoke, boiling Mule Leather if used right, blows it into the noble's quarters if used wrong right in a different way.)

- Crank: generates power relitive to cranking dwarf's strength. "Machine Operation" skill replaces pump operation.
- Treadmill : can be loaded with a creature- operates relitive to creatures' strength.
- Capstan :several creatures can be attached for more power- requires rope for each.

-Gate:   \
             } Both of these activate when power is applied. Gates slowly open/close. Bridges raise and
-Bridge: /   lower.

There is room for a lot more, but these are the basics.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:13:31 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Salbrismind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion and Test suggestion system
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 06:31:27 pm »

Good ideas, I understand these are a bunch of ideas from many people but good ideas none the less. In addition to the treadmill, how about conveyor belts made of skins? I especially like the idea of the productivity enhancing machines, something to put that power to use?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:11:30 pm »

This might actually be good, at least some of them.
But they probably will not appear in the game anytime soon, although I think they will eventually.
Eh?
Eh!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:59:03 pm »

We do need more uses for power, and I do like those.  Lathes, bellows, and "cutters" as well as rotational saws (cutting wood, specifically, though they only date back to 1777) are relatively simple machines.  Bellows and Lathes have been around for thousands (lathes were invented by the Egyptians in the 13000 BCs).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:18:37 am »

I was thinking of a cutter as something you could use for anything from lumber to leather to  gems- it would probably use a Serrated Metal Disc. I don't know what a lathe would need, but bellows would need probably metal/wood, cloth/leather/silk, blocks, and maybe something else besides mechanisms.

Hm, with these speed enhancers, perhaps regular workshops should be slowed to provide more incentive.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 08:05:36 am »

Or powered versions of some of the main workshops that grant double production speed, such as:
Sawmill: carpenters workshop, requires a large serrated metal disc and 1 mechanism
Powered loom: weaving workshop, requires 2 mechanisms
Blast furnace: Forge, requires 1 mechanism
Magma blast furnace: Magma forge, requires 1 mechanism

And in the interesting curiosity department, concerning the history of water wheels:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Around 1150, the astronomer Bhaskara Ach?rya observed water-raising wheels and imagined such a wheel lifting enough water to replenish the stream driving it, effectively, a perpetual motion machine.[10]
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Valandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 10:14:03 am »

I'd like to see someone build this in DF :P

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 10:18:15 am »

They're good suggestions (animal power would be very nice to have underground for milling and whatnot, for example) but as far as powered mechanisms for workshops I'm not so sure.  Legendary dwarves crop up fairly often, and their rates of production are so quick that I have trouble keeping large fortresses busy all the time (which is good, I suppose, 'cuz the lazy bastards spend most of the time partying anyway).  Most of the time production seems to far outstrip resource gathering.

Salbrismind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 08:26:01 pm »

I'd like to see someone build this in DF :P

You sir, are not helping!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 10:09:50 pm »

Yes, but the ability to cut the time required to obtain a legendary dwarf is cut almost in half. (There is still hauling raw materials involved)
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.