Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting with Magma  (Read 2674 times)

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting with Magma
« on: June 16, 2008, 11:59:06 am »

I've built a lot of forts in the new release, but I have not yet dealt with Magma in 3D.  I was wondering if there is any change to your starting dwarves' skills to deal with any chasm/magma creatures, or if you simply draft new refugees to be the defense force?  Alternatively, I suppose we can always use Traps, but I'm not sure how well those work against magma critters.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting with Magma
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 12:56:09 pm »

I'd imagine water would be the best defense against magma/fire creatures. Just make the entrance(s) to your fort floodable.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 01:04:23 pm »

I'd imagine water would be the best defense against magma/fire creatures. Just make the entrance(s) to your fort floodable.
A lot of the magma creatures walk through water evaporating it as they move.  Search for magma creatures here on the forum.  There's actually quite a few resource threads.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 01:09:26 pm »

Magma creatures start inside the volcano and don't respawn once killed. It's easily possible to simply dig a magma access channel to the volcano to get the magma you need to power forges, without having to put the forges anywhere near the volcano. This will keep your dwarves safe from errant fireballs. There's plenty of other methods you can use, including fortifications and the like, but I've found that simple distance is your best bet.

Of course, this assumes that your dwarves aren't silly enough to park the wagon right next to the caldera, as my dwarves have the last three times I made a fort...

It's worth eventually killing the magma critters off so they don't bother migrants and traders; the last thing you want is a !!Glumprong wagon!!. But odds of that happening are pretty low, giving you a few years to train up marksdwarves. Or you can set up some pumps and freeze over the cap so nothing can get out.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:19:47 pm »

I just turn off the [FIREIMMUNE] tags on magma creatures.
I don't really want to bother with them anyways.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 02:30:35 pm »

Bring a dwarf with Proficient Mining and Proficient wrestling.  I always bring this guy, wrestling makes him a melee badass and gives him a better chance to dodge a fireball.  Making an attack with a wielded pick checks mining skill, so a Proficient Miner hits nearly as hard as a Proficient Speardwarf.

You might not need to bother with the imps and magma men right away, but in the event you do, you'll have a very capable combat dwarf who can shred an imp and should handle magma men pretty easy too.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 02:44:15 pm »

If you have to fight fire imps, they're absolute wimps in melee. A random peasant with no stat boosts has decent odds of wrestling one into the ground if he doesn't get fried by a fireball, which imps won't chuck when they're in melee range. So all you really have to do is survive to get close.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 03:42:45 pm »

Derakon: They do chuck fireballs in melee. At point blank even. Try it out in adventurer.

Basically, you'd want to give your guys some weapon of some sort and charge them in. Or use your wardogs. Every combat situation is made much better when there's a weapon to use. As such, a fire imp can be struck down with one hit with a noquality steel axe but when you're just wrestling, it'll take awhile.

I'm not sure if fire imps grab stuff, but when they touch something, or if your dwarves have gloves and are touching them, after awhile, they catch fire.

It's really fun in adventurer if you play as imps as when you wrestle, everything burns.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 04:25:21 pm »

Derakon: They do chuck fireballs in melee. At point blank even. Try it out in adventurer.
Allow me to amend my statement: I have never seen an imp throw a fireball when in melee range in fortress mode.

Mind you, my untrained peasant wrestlers tend to send the imps unconscious within a few turns anyway, so it's a bit hard to run lengthy experiments.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 05:01:45 pm »

Just got an idea from the wiki entry on Fire men - I'll just build some magma-safe bars early on in the channel.  Problem solved!

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 07:32:18 pm »

I just turn off the [FIREIMMUNE] tags on magma creatures.
I don't really want to bother with them anyways.
You little cheater :D

Magma creatures are honestly little more than a nuisance. It's perfectly possible to cohabit an area without resorting to sealing up the caldera or killing off the little buggers; in some cases I've actually ended up with fire imps spotting, chasing and killing kobolds and goblin snatchers when they go for a little wander outside the magma :) If you run into problems you can deal with them as you see fit, but I've NEVER killed a fire imp in the 3D version...ever. The worst they get subjected to by me is just to get walled in so they can't leave the perimeter of the caldera :)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 07:51:33 pm »

[FIREIMMUNE] actually does not affect their fire immunity.  All it does is make them THINK they're fire immune.
Set it on your dwarves and watch them walk right into a 3/7 pool of magma after an errant stone and get burnt up as the magma climbs higher and they don't run.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 08:59:24 pm »

My wagon once was inbetween a carp-infested stream (3-4 wide, N/S) and a magma pipe. The Distance was only about 15-25 tiles. It is a very death oriented fort. I solve the death problem by building a stone perimeter wall. This kept out everything. Later, I made a wall all around the magma pipe. This kept any tripping mishaps from occuring.

I killed 2 seperate groups of 3 imps with a 3-dwarf peasant wrestler squad.I left the 2 magma men (very dangerous) alone. They killed off two of my sieges, done in by the goblin leader himself. I was safe behind my 3-wide water moat and 3-z's tall , 3 tile thick perimeter wall.

Starting out, if you are near the pipe and you see a magma man. Just put walls. Even a simple l wall could prevent them from spotting you.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 10:21:06 pm »

Again, magma men can't get out of the caldera. They'll just wander back and forth on the z-level they start on. Fire men, on the other hand, can swim in magma and go wherever they like so long as they don't have to fly to get there.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 09:01:32 am »

Hmm... How do you get creatures save/vulnerable to magma then? I looked at the source code for magma men, but the closest thing I could find was their temperature.
Pages: [1] 2