Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Killer Ice Trap, can it be done?  (Read 2598 times)

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killer Ice Trap, can it be done?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 09:16:02 am »

I'm not sure that a auto-refreezing trap would be ideal. There would probably be a lot of unneeded movement pauses due to freeze blockage, to say nothing of what your going to do when dwarves want access to the gear these goblins are dropping.
A better plan is a pressure plate for the goblins to step on and trigger the freeze.

A more complex plan would also seek to exploit the flow of low level water to slowly remove the junk post melt. Ideally this would involve slowly pumping water into the trap from one side and quickly dropping it out of pathing on the other side. Ideally you'd use bridges to create multiple storage points that could be pumped clear of water for dwarf access without the need to stop the flow of water.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 10:38:45 am »

Code: [Select]
Z=0

######
#PX.X~
###D##

Z +1 to Ground level -1
######
# ####
######

Ground level

######
#G####
######

P-Pressure Plate
#-Wall
G-Grate
X-Floodgate
D-Door
 -Open Space
~-Water connected to a cistern that goes up to the highest subterranean level.

The second floodgate is connected to the pressure plate. The first floodgate and door is connected to a lever. When the creature triggers the plate, you close the door, open the left floodgate and let the mechanism take it's toll. The floodgate opens, the pressurized water floods in and the creature is pressed back and frozen. You open the floodgate and door and let the excess water flood out in a drainage room. This however, only works in winter and freezing biomes.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 10:57:28 am »

Hell, why didn't I think of this before?

Very highly-pressurized water flows quickly. There's a video out there of someone who made a cistern that was something like 20x20x20, full to the brim with water; when he opened the spigot, water was instantly at 7/7 for a good 200 squares around his fortress. This is an artifact of the way water flows.

Anyway, because it's instant, the water doesn't have a time to freeze and block the rest of the flow. So really all you need for an ice-freezing trap is a sufficient quantity of highly-pressurized water and a place below it that is subject to freezing.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 02:33:28 pm »

I'd have to test the high velocity water not freezing...  While it may look fast, I don't know if it's instant.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 05:07:21 pm »

I'm pretty certain that the check to freeze new water cells isn't performed every tick, so it doesn't need to be instant; just fast enough to get a lot out there before the check is made.

You'd want to set things up so that the spigot itself doesn't freeze (which would unbuild the floodgate/hatch that you're using to control the water flow), but that's a minor design consideration.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: 1 [2]