Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: How did you come across DF?  (Read 3132 times)

Stregone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you come across DF?
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Phazon77:
<STRONG>The Penny Arcade forums.

They have a very healthy DF thread going at the moment and have had countless 5000+ post threads before that one (threads are stopped at 100 pages and then started anew there). I found out about DF a couple months after the first build was released to the public through these boards.</STRONG>

Same here  :)

haftan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2007, 08:26:00 pm »

TheUnderdogs I think?  Tried it and found it impossible then gave it another shot a week later.
This is from "great moments" thread on this forum... but when the frogmen blood spilled down the cave river and stained my walls.  I was hooked.

Kagira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2007, 09:41:00 pm »

One word- Boatmurdered.
obles make fine firewood.

tombhart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

boatmurdered, yeah.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2007, 05:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by flap:
<STRONG>Before it had been released last august. On the underdogs I had found LCS, found it interesting, downloaded genealogy poker and Corin Mystery Massacre.</STRONG>

Pretty much the same.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2007, 07:28:00 pm »

I heard about it in the freeloader section of the GFW magazine.
I was thinking, hm...I liked Angband...but Angband has tile graphics...I eventually went to the site, poked around the forums read through all the bloats and stuff and got interested.  The freeloader guy was right though, it's like those dudes looking into the matrix monitors, yer all "what the heck is all this?" for the first hour, then you know exactly what everything is, in nauseating detail, at a glance.

I'm paying $10 a month to play Phantasy Star Universe and I haven't been on it in 2 weeks because of DF.

Can't wait for armies and junk, and I love how easy it is to mod so far(I'm a modder at heart.)  Wish I could leave a fort to it's own devices for awhile to kill an adventurer in adventure mode and then continue playing my same fort tho.

Mayor cancels sleep: Being killed by PC adventurer.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Gorfob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2007, 04:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MacGyversMullet:
<STRONG>SA USer</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by Zhentar:
<STRONG>SA User</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by tombhart:
<STRONG>SA User</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by Mayday:
<STRONG>SA User</STRONG>

Sup SA buddies? DF is huge over there. It's a great game and the goon sense of humour applies to the game even more so. Also I started playing after reading BoatMurdered.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »

I find it kinda awesome that so many communities have taken such a liking to DF that they have huge-ass threads with their own stories etc...

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »

I heard about it less than a week after the first plublic announcement on rec.games.roguelike.announce

Good place to find new roguelikes, though people spam it with every one of their minor version patches.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »

I found DF in the very humblingly small 'game mod' section of Game Informer (You'll find it near the back on the right side of a page, taking about 1/4th of the page up)

Quite frankly, I was extremely suprised that Game Informer not only talked about a non-commercial-company freeware game in their magazine, but it was in ASCII. I figured there had to be a damn good reason for this, and me being generally poor, hence open in my game selection when it came to freeware, (pretty much everything) I decided to give it a shot.

I'm still trying to figure out DF. ;_;

Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

mcnmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »

I think I remember discovering this game while I was still a member of the Anywherebb forums (0x44.com). I don't remember exactly how it was first introduced to me, but I believe someone made a post about the game. Eventually that thread grew large with lots of people posting their fortress progress. This was before the map archive.

[ August 15, 2007: Message edited by: mcnmac ]

SnowWhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2007, 12:16:00 am »

I regularly read Dubious Quality, but for entertainment, not seriously for game recommendations.  But when DQ posted about DF for the first time (what, last October?) I downloaded it and got hooked.  It put a serious dent in my WoW playing for about two months.  

Then I stopped playing DF for a while.

Until a few weeks ago when DQ posted a link to Boatmurdered.  Now I've got a fortress with just under 200 dwarves, and for the first time I have champion and elite military.

quot;...we literally tore a hole in the mountain, and slept in the mud for THREE YEARS while we waited for these tower caps to grow, and you come dancing in here, clutching your grass and berries like you''re Armok''s Sodding Gift To Dwarves, and tell us

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2007, 05:16:00 am »

I was walking in the desert when a distant flicker caught my eye. I approached it and saw a small shrub on fire. Strangely, it did not seem to perish but maintained a constant flame. Then, it spoke to me;
   "I am speaking for the Silky Confederation of Lobsters, a short walk to the
    west is your house. Go there and download Dwarf Fortress!"
And I replied.
   "Mkay..?"

Or maybe it was on a ADOM forum.

"It's unpossible!"

Exasperation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »

I'm another one who found out through the TaleWorlds forum.

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2007, 04:24:00 pm »

I was looking for something similar to SimAnt, which is (alongside with Ultima VII) a game that I played endlessly when I was a kid. I came across a thread somewhere where a user said that Dwarf Fortress was like SimAnt on steroids, or something to that effect.

I came to a similar conclusion after playing it. I actually yelled out "THIS KICKS ASS!" when I first got the miners digging out my tunnels -- it was just so reminiscent of the hours upon hours I spent carving out my own elaborate tunnel system in the old Maxis game.

Even better, every little complexity that I wished I could have had in SimAnt is present in DF, and then some.

[ August 19, 2007: Message edited by: mikefictiti0us ]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6