Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: How did you come across DF?  (Read 3134 times)

RP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you come across DF?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2007, 10:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deathworks:
<STRONG> . . . and suddenly it was four o'clock in the morning.</STRONG>

Oh, man, do I know the feeling.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2007, 11:11:00 am »

I usually got the indicator it was time to go to bed when my alarm clock went off... as in time to get up to go to work. Good thing I can do my job in my sleep!

Edit: My alarm goes off at 10:30 AM. I work 12-21.

[ August 05, 2007: Message edited by: herrbdog ]

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

You noobs. I came across DF on this very forum, 1 year before it was released.

Thetwodud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »

I can't recall exactly. It was either from a Wikipedia link when I was searching for roguelikes or from a thread at the RPG Codex.

Either way, I was driven by a search of a good ASCII game to play. I'd say I more than succeeded.

Lord_Daeloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »

Well, I originally heard about it from a friend.  I didn't give it much thought at the time because he described it as "Net-hack, but better" and that was one of my least favorite Rogue-likes.  Then I saw it mentioned on the something awful forums and laughed my ass off reading some of the stories and, realizing that the description I'd gotten before was way off, had to give it a go.  Oh, and I saw it in a game-informer magazine a bit later, that was kinda cool.

Zengief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »

I saw a thread on my normal source for a wide variety of decent links: the Lounge at gamedev.net.  I initally ignored it, but then after the thread grew a bit, I decided it was worth a try.  It was worth it.

[ August 05, 2007: Message edited by: Zengief ]

Arawak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »

I Found it after I looked up slaves to armok again, Didn't really like armok to be honest but the title screen was awesome X100.

I'd probably of posted up until now but I got into an argument with a guy about what color glass would turn into, We were both right just he was more right.

(I think he was referring to green glass and I reffered to clear which he said is what we were talking about, and I went into forges ect and how it would be made.)

[ August 05, 2007: Message edited by: Arawak ]

acking = in game steroids...
"when beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean''s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember, that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang.

Phazon77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2007, 10:05:00 pm »

The Penny Arcade forums.

They have a very healthy DF thread going at the moment and have had countless 5000+ post threads before that one (threads are stopped at 100 pages and then started anew there). I found out about DF a couple months after the first build was released to the public through these boards.

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »

a friend on the UnReal World forum(i'm known as aislinn there) mentioned it and i got curious (i had hunted and trapped myself silly at the time and was looking for a new fix) and checked it out.  i've played urw for years (found it through mikrobitti 'game of the day', i think) and love it because it's all outdoors and living in the wilderness kind of stuff.

df just has something addictive about it that i can't put my finger on.  the funny thing is i can't make it past 3 years before i get the bug to start a new fortress, so i think i've only had a bookkeeper once or twice.  starting out is just so fun - once i get to the point of making coins and have 50 or so dwarves i begin to wonder what to do next (i know, let's start over again!).  i am such a nut.

cause of unexplainable mischief

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007, 12:46:00 pm »

A thread in the Total War Center forums, a fansite for the Total War games. Registering on that forum was a very good desition. Nor jut because of DF, but mostly.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2007, 04:04:00 pm »

PC Gamer UK.  Read the article two or three times because I frankly didn't believe it. Downloaded it and was thoroughly (and happily) proved wrong

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2007, 06:41:00 am »

A friend told me about this game and said that only a idiot or a great programmer can love this game. Being both I was hooked instantly. The game have some great game play sides that I have been curious about myself, seeing it work is amazing. I am hooked. Telling myself that I should wait until the next release before playing any more. But still the game strangely appears running on my desktop. I can't explain it...
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2007, 07:28:00 am »

Before it had been released last august. On the underdogs I had found LCS, found it interesting, downloaded genealogy poker and Corin Mystery Massacre.

Then about March last year, I found that very ---- long thread in which Toady was already giving some informations of the game. And everybody was watching and hoping that it would not be vaporware ! Today it almost the same waiting again. But we already have a good version, and we know that the next release will exist.

N0ught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »

I found out about DF from this thread in the Mount & Blade forums:
http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,16721.0.html

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2007, 02:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MacGyversMullet:
<STRONG>There was a thread about it somewhere on the Something Awful forums. This was pretty soon after the first builds of Dwarf Fortress came out, and well before the SA forums became as excited by Dwarf Fortress as they are now. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't almost as many DF-related posts on Something Awful as there are here.

[ August 05, 2007: Message edited by: MacGyversMullet ]</STRONG>

This is how I found it too.

Out of curiousity, I added up the counts.
SA: 20,000 posts between the main DF threads and LPs/succession games.
Bay 12: 43,000 posts.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6