Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: How did you come across DF?  (Read 3135 times)

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you come across DF?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »

I read about it on the Natural Selection forums. It's a Half-life mod, aliens vs. marines, FPS/RTS sorta game. Probably the only game I give more time to over DF.

[ August 04, 2007: Message edited by: Shzar ]

000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Dryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

I came across it via a link on the Cantr (online RPG) forums. Someone posted it there thinking that those who play Cantr whould be the kind who also appreciate DF.
You come back from the mansions of sleep with your pockets full of silverware.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »

Hmm, maybe I should bump it up on the NS forum again...I didn't know that it was a hot topic there to be honest...

Tracker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 07:14:00 pm »

The RPG.NET forums, I believe.
here''s men underground/who have never seen the sun/but they really know how to party/they raise their wooden pints/and they yoik and sing/and they fight and they dance ''till morning

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 07:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gauteamus:
<STRONG>AN enthusiastic recommendment on the Battle for Wesnoth forum (open source, turn based strategy, try it!)</STRONG>

The K.I.S.S. concept of that game is what keeping me away from it. Otherwise it could be a good game, but not in its current form. Yes I am subjective.
  :D

Ive heard about this game on the Dominions forum btw.
 :cool:

[ August 04, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »

I found this game almost a year back when it was still lacking a lot of features and long before the Great Update Drought. I honestly don't remember how I found about it (random browsing I guess). I played it for a few days but got bogged down by it's step learning curve and relative lack of features back then. I also had a terrible job that didn't left me much time to play with it so I abandoned DF for a few months and completely forgot about it. Then again by chance I stumbled upon some indy games section on some gaming site which mentioned it and linked to this Tea Leaves' post and subsequently to the mad ravings about DF at Dubious Quality.

After reading the stories there decided to give DF a second shot and with my previous experience and the help of the wiki I managed to get some successes and eventually got completely hooked. But with the amount of hype for the imminent release of the new version I stopped playing completely fearing that I would have to abandon my fortress midway for the new version. Bad decision.   :( I know try to avoid playing it by wasting time here and programming my own DF clone   :p

[ August 04, 2007: Message edited by: Zemat ]

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

PTTG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.2funnyguys.com
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 09:54:00 pm »

I read an article in a paper magazine, and I feel so old-fashioned! It was Games for windows.
A HREF="http://www.2funnyguys.com">www.2funnyguys.com

,".,''.,,''..,'',.'',,.''
.'',G''(Im in ur fotrez)
''.,.,(steln ur babyz:0)

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 10:19:00 pm »

A french video games magazine, Canard PC, made a review of the game, but I totally missed this issue, so I only knew about it via a topic on this magazine's forum, named "my game of the year".

MacGyversMullet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2007, 01:21:00 am »

There was a thread about it somewhere on the Something Awful forums. This was pretty soon after the first builds of Dwarf Fortress came out, and well before the SA forums became as excited by Dwarf Fortress as they are now. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't almost as many DF-related posts on Something Awful as there are here.

[ August 05, 2007: Message edited by: MacGyversMullet ]

Noctis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 03:00:00 am »

I was actually looking up some stuff about programming and heard someone talk how hooked he got with DF, so I wikied it and lost even that little scrap of life I had.

- Noctis

Noctis, Freebooter cancels Get a Life: DF sighted on the Cyberwaters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 03:41:00 am »

I heard about it from a friend.
Actually I check tigsource all the time, but I started playing DF before the article was up there. Although mind you if I wasn't so busy playing DF I might have emailed tigsource or something to get it there sooner.

[ August 05, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 03:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gauteamus:
<STRONG>AN enthusiastic recommendment on the Battle for Wesnoth forum (open source, turn based strategy, try it!)</STRONG>

I did try it, its a nyce game, but erm the random number generator is a bit TOO random...

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Axe of Agor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007, 04:00:00 am »

I'm fairly certain that I first heard of Dwarf Fortress from a post over on rec.games.roguelike.announce. Since I like roguelikes I check that newsgroup out every now and again. It's always possible that I just so happened to stumble across Dwarf Fortress by accident, however; I played "Slaves to Armok: God of Blood" a few times (as much as it could actually be "played") and rather thought the idea for the game had potential, and so would check in on its development from time to time. So in seeking out "Slaves to Armok", I might have found Dwarf Fortress that way.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 06:59:00 am »

Hi!

While I have played (losing all the time) and liked some Angband variants, I only heard about Dwarf Fortress recently on a forum at Age of Wonders Heaven in a thread where they were wondering about the future of turn-based strategy.

Well, I am always the curious type, so I downloaded it, started fortress mode, saw all the details and interesting stuff, and suddenly it was four o'clock in the morning.

So, I guess, your normal DF development (apart the AOW part). :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007, 07:10:00 am »

I heard about DF when I was reading the fourms on the Noctis homepage then I made a visit to www.bay12games.com/dwarves  and I did not like it but a week later I had a feeling that I should try it and I liked it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6