Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: How did you come across DF?  (Read 3130 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How did you come across DF?
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:42:00 am »

How did all of you come by this game? What made you get so hooked to it, do you have a particular story? Lets hear it...
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
Re: How did you come across DF?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 10:12:00 am »

One word:
Roguelikes.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Remliel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 11:04:00 am »

One of my friends on a MUSH talked about it, so I checked it out. The rest is predictable.  :D

Nikica

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 11:20:00 am »

One site:

TIGSource !!!

Am Nikica !!!

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 12:35:00 pm »

I was actually looking for tutorials for the Neverwinter Nights 2 toolset, and I saw something about keeping dwarves fed and watered.

The rest is history.

[ August 04, 2007: Message edited by: Dreamer ]

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »

Neverwinter Nights 2? Bleh! I refuse to leave the first one until they fix the multiplay... and until the second one starts having more role play.

Personally I found out about DF from a friend. Sadly enough he never really got into it himself.

[ August 04, 2007: Message edited by: Jusal ]

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 12:46:00 pm »

A friend of mine told me about it at a US Independence day party, 4 July 2006. A month or two later, I was bored with WoW and decided to find this awesome game about which he told me. (Not so much his flavor though, but he knew it was mine.) Took me a hell of a time to find it, I googled everything I could think of for an hour. See, I had forgotten the name. Finally found it, and I have been playing for about a year now. Only Civ has sucked more life from me than DF, and maybe UO did.

Nexus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 01:02:00 pm »

Read about it browsing through a roguelike thread at RPGcodex.  They had a lot of other nice (free) games, but nothing nearly as fun as DF.

RP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »

Came here via a mention from someone in the Gearhead forum (http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/). I found the Gearhead site courtesy of Home of the Underdogs. And boy am I glad I found DF. I've been playing games since the days of the C64, so you can imagine I'd grown somewhat jaded. DF, Gearhead, Orbiter and their like--all free and yet so interesting--show that gems still do crop up in the world of gaming.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »

Almost a year ago Game Informer ran their Mod World column on this game. I read it, found it interesting, didn't bother to do much with it on the piece-of-crap computer I was stuck on at the time. Then I got a laptop and was digging through old copies of the magazine I found while cleaning my room and the rest is history.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »

I think it was via theunderdogs forum if I recall correctly. I think that there was some thread there (or maybe it was in a different community) which announced DF's imminent latest version release at that time or something like that. I eventually got curious and decided to give the game a go - and ended up hooked.

I later on introduced it in the Taleworlds community and it ended up becoming a huge hit there - course, some people over there knew already about the game, but right now that one thread is 96 pages long :P

Here :P

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »

Found it via an obscure link on the (if I recall) Nexus War forums.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »

AN enthusiastic recommendment on the Battle for Wesnoth forum (open source, turn based strategy, try it!)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »

Myself, was in the Illarion boards (its an RP game), and someone suggested that we try this game, and 2 or 3 players were playing it and really got to it, saying how good it was. I downloaded it, but because my computer was rubbish, it couldn't work.

Then I bought a new laptop, then I had a period of 5 days till I get the internet (I was without internet), and I erm... decided to install it.

Spent half of those 5 days in the kitchen on the laptop, my family complaining about the music  :)

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6