Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Welcome to the New Forum  (Read 60042 times)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
Re: Welcome to the New Forum
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2008, 09:44:22 pm »

I do wish we could get rid of the giant RE:SUBJECT NAMEabove every post.
That's the subject of the post, which can be changed when creating/editing the post. It also provides a direct link to that specific message within the topic. Useful to have.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2008, 10:32:41 pm »

My my, look at the shiny new forums.. Very nice.

I have one addition I'd like, namely the Pages: << < 1 2 3 ... n n+1 > >> that many other forums have for changing the page within a thread.

Where << would take you to the first page, < to the current page - 1, ... would expand to display all the pages in a thread, > to the current page + 1, and >> would take you to the last page in a thread.

Aside from that minor addition, I don't see why we couldn't have signatures that are <= 400 pixels wide, and 200 pixels tall. And perhaps impose a size limit of 100KB or so.

Edit: It seems that one can not be notified of changes to the "DF Announcements" board, but can to individual topics in this board. Seems odd to me.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 11:07:15 pm by Surma »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2008, 10:55:25 pm »

Is there a way to turn off automatic image resizing for the display pictures? I want mine to be smaller...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2008, 11:28:28 pm »

I have one addition I'd like, namely the Pages: << < 1 2 3 ... n n+1 > >> that many other forums have for changing the page within a thread.

You mean as can be found at the bottom and top left of every thread?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2008, 12:42:30 am »

Could we make the main board, which is currently blue and silver, become nice and dark like these ones are? Also, the Forums link here and here should be updated with the new link.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2008, 12:49:45 am »

As said before, the Darkling theme can be made default. Click on the Profile button above, then select Look and Layout on the left.

Something that I recommend all users do is activate personal message notifications. To do this, go to the Personal Messaging settings (found under Profile, as described earlier) and check the "Show a popup when you receive new messages" box. Doing this will make a small JavaScript box appear when you visit the forum and you have a new message. I have found it to be extremely useful on other SMF forums.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2008, 12:51:57 am »

You mean as can be found at the bottom and top left of every thread?

Yes, but with more options. It's currently rather difficult to move between pages if you have more than 6 or so in a thread.

Edit: The Considering forum upgrade and Forum Move Begins June 14th threads should probably be locked, as they're no longer applicable.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 12:55:48 am by Surma »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2008, 01:41:33 am »

Wow, fantastic new forum.  I was hoping the new version would be out by the time I returned from my internetless vacation, but all of the fantastic stuff in the dev_now seems to make up for it.  Excellent job Toady and Janus.  We've needed this for a long time.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2008, 01:53:11 am »

Yes, but with more options. It's currently rather difficult to move between pages if you have more than 6 or so in a thread.

Clicking the ... between the numbers makes all the page numbers visible.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2008, 02:11:20 am »

Noticed something...
My browser keeps asking for 'user authentication',this is getting disruptive and it's pissing me off.(could be something new that will keep showing up elsewhere this is the first place it has shown up however)

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2008, 08:05:09 am »

Ah. Finally figured out what was wrong with my password. Hi all. Nice forum we've landed on. Someone begin chopping firewood. I want two of you to mind deep into the forum and start looking for 'ores. The rest of you build a pair some farm plots or get to fishing.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2008, 08:19:39 am »

Funny that everyone was stalwartly against signature images before the move.  :D
Why not have a few polls for the issues like this? It's hard to keep track of how many people want it and how many don't otherwise, and it'd reach a lot more people. I personally hate them, but if it's really a majority of people that want them I guess I can't complain, since I mostly just lurk anyway.

Anyway, I was really surprised how quickly this was all done, even with the little glitches. Kudos to all involved :)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2008, 08:51:18 am »

It seems that when I first go to the forum on any particular day on a specific computer, it will take several minutes to load the page. Is this happening for anyone else?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2008, 09:44:23 am »

Oooh shiny new forum!

One thing I've just noticed was that some posts transferred from the old forum have been truncated between smileys. The one I noticed was cut from the old board eek smiley to the old board big grin. I doubt it will have had too much of an effect though.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2008, 11:19:21 am »

Good job, I think, it went better than expected. 

Here are some benefits I noticed right away: Being able to disable signatures is awesome, and a definite advantage.  The loading speed is not slow either, I think maybe 10% slower but still pretty fast.  Quoting looks like it is very efficient.  The Topic Summary is cool.  Being able to put newer messages first is great.  The Preview button works nice.

I do think some issues could be solved with a new theme, but I don't know enough about board themes to make one.   The page headers everywhere take up a lot of space.  It's odd, because they did on the old forum too, but it didn't bother me for some reason. I'd like a theme that is more compact, so you can see more topics on a page.  The pointless "Logged" icon is wasting space in each message.   A lot of places have unnecessary margins.

Oh, my biggest issue now is the Search.  I'd like to search for all posts by a user in the last 15 days, but Search requires a keyword.  And you can't use "the" or "a", or search for all posts without asparagus.  I tried searching for Dwarf, but it seemed like there should be more.  It was slower than the old search, and the results were bloated.  I just need a list of topics and post #, like before.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 11:41:11 am by axus »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11