Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 86830 times)

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #900 on: August 24, 2009, 04:40:57 pm »

You have struck Borax!

I hope Borax doesn't retaliate.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 26, 2009, 08:17:50 am »

Diary of maggarg
Huh, that Kaziari wants to clean out the wells!
Don't she realise that corpses give some character and body to the water! It's tasteless otherwise.
Oh, and 'parrently my Sun of Rakust is all mucky 'cause the water just won't flow down. When I were a lad, water only went forwards, backwards and sideways. No ups an' downs to speak of.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 28, 2009, 01:07:06 am »

The only corpse I know of in that cistern is that of Jools the First.  It was first dug by the illustrious Keldor the First (the one in all the engravings - obviously the fortress's most famous figure) in the first year of our great hole in the mud fortress.  At that time, he wished to secure a carp-free water source, and was concerned that the pool would dry up if left unattended.

For the muddy floor, I just paved matching roads over the muddy part when it first got damp.  Those don't seem to get muddy, for some reason.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 28, 2009, 12:58:57 pm »

Oh, I forgot to mention - those levers by the swimming pool don't do anything - I had planned to have them control the emergency shutoff for the swimming pool, one for each of four floodgates for the four tunnels, but when the swimming pool proved too deep and then too shallow, they ended up forgotten.

As for the human diplomat, he'd been down there for years.  Maybe he finally died of old age?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 01, 2009, 03:45:43 am »

Oh, I forgot to mention - those levers by the swimming pool don't do anything - I had planned to have them control the emergency shutoff for the swimming pool, one for each of four floodgates for the four tunnels, but when the swimming pool proved too deep and then too shallow, they ended up forgotten.

As for the human diplomat, he'd been down there for years.  Maybe he finally died of old age?
I think he was there even in my first turn.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 07, 2009, 06:50:06 am »

Jools the First apparently rotted away entirely, as there were no bones at the bottom of the cistern. He has become one with the swamp.

Or...

Maybe he survived somehow in the dark, eventually escaping to the riverbank to plot his revenge. It would explain the smoke at the lodge at least. ;)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 10, 2009, 09:55:01 pm »

You sure the cistern didn't empty out when you drained the moat a few years back?  If so, they probably just grabbed the bones and stuck them in a tomb.

Though, bones usually decay within a year if you leave them outdoors, so they were probably long gone even then.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 11, 2009, 11:19:31 am »

You sure the cistern didn't empty out when you drained the moat a few years back?  If so, they probably just grabbed the bones and stuck them in a tomb.

Though, bones usually decay within a year if you leave them outdoors, so they were probably long gone even then.
I prefer the zombie noble murderer.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 15, 2009, 05:27:44 pm »

Limestone 1070

The humans are still here. I think they are stuck in the swamp actually, slowly sinking into the mud. I wonder if someone should go and offer them a log to lever themselves out?

The Foe Flusher has drained the top of the so called cistern and Valter noted that the bottom of the well is actually pretty close to the drain shaft used to drain the chambers flooded in that little fortress flooding accident years ago. He's gone off to get digging.

Valter has dug a new tunnel and some rocksalt grates installed to redirect the water flow so he won't drown. Or at least, that's the plan. Anyway, he's gone off to breach the bottom of the cistern.

The operation was a success! Valter got a "bit" wet but didn't drown or get impaled by rotting debris so all in all a a glorious triumph of dwarven ingenuity. He can't get out until the cistern drains, as the stairs up to the bottom of the cistern also double as the exit route for the water but that's a minor issue.

Endok wants to see if trees will grow on stone flooring if given some wet mud to grow on. Some very arcane looking plans for a testing area were drawn up for the northern wall and the mason's don't have enough to do anyway.

Sandstone 1070

Endok has been possessed!
He has laid claim to a craftsdwarves workshop in  the Bonehoard. He left the plans for the tree-testing area.

The humans finally sorted out whatever they were sorting out and attacked today. One was caught in a cage trap and the rest massacred by the marksdwarves along the southern wall. None of them even mnaged to reach the western gate. A bit anticlimactic given  it has taken them almost two seasons to think of that plan.

Endok has re-emerged, brandishing a nice magnetite amulet made entirely out of magnetite. Azmolasiz, The Obscure Flashes. Made from magnetite, encircled with bands of magnetite and menacing with spikes of magnetite, it bears an engraved image (in magnetite) of Lolor Churchswords ascending to the leadership of the Rag of Suns in 831.
He's also decided the existing test site is rubbish, as the waterworks would be rather involved and only useful for a brief period. Instead he wants to build a new site near the current water tower folly near the west gate - it might as well be used for something I suppose.

Ambush!
For some reason a woodcutter was wandering about to the far north west, past the pit of alligator doom. No trees were scheduled to be felled up there and he was jumped by about 10 goblins. The champions have gone out for vengeance.

The flooring at the bottom of the cistern refuses to be built - the masons insist there is already something there but refuse to say what.

The Tax Collector has volunteered to break down one of the walls in the tower at the west gate. Hopefully he won't be swept into the river.

A carpenter starved to death in the jails today and the tax collector dismantled the wall safely. The champions have destroyed the ambush that killed to woodcutter and had a good run in the process.

Moonstone
Another ambush, this time at the south. They blundered into the old elephant traps then got shot to pieces from the walls.

The Abbey floor is flooding again - water is miraculously travelling sideways not only round the wall but round the new window as well! Why it isn't just falling and why it is only happening on the north side, nobody seems to know.

There is building going on in the main keep. The masons decided that as the Foe Flusher and the pump tower were already there, it would be easy enough to turn the space in between into rooms for something.
Only problem is there are at least 3 plans that I've seen, so there have been gangs of children running about following orders from different masons to pull down parts of flooring that other masons have just built.

This will not end well.

Opal

There you are! I wonder how my diary ended up under a box of 37 microcline mechanisms. Anyway, you didn't miss much - the builders are building, the peasants are complaining and the nobles are demanding things we don't have must not be exported. The main well has been nicely lined and Endok suggested putting some gem windows at the bottom - he insists they're waterproof - so dwarves can check for themselves that there are no carp in the well.

Two corpses were found on the upper levels of the roof, near the Foe Flusher, rotting gently in the breeze. The remains look dwarven but they're unrecognisable - I wonder who they were. The corpses are being retrieved and will hopefully be interred properly.

A child has withdrawn from society today. I'm not sure why this is important, last time I asked about the children I was told they do as they please.

Blood spatterings have appeared on the roof of the Abbey. Hm.

Obsidian 1070

Some nice new barracks next to the Great Tower, with a dining room underneath. There might be a small hole in the wall of the barracks but one day it might be fixed if the masons ever stop bickering.

The floodgate to the river was also opened again today, and the new cistern has started filling. It's lined with rock salt so, according to some old dwarf in the Abbey, soon our well water will be blessed with holy saltyness. I don't think I've ever seen him before now I think about it.

I saw the new rotting room was in busy use, as well as the new butcheries.

Plague!
There is vast amounts of vomit strewn across the Overlook and down towards the pump tower. I don't understand it - it can't be simple cave adaptation, dwarves have been using that for years with only the occasional heave.

Now a pump operator has been possessed - in the middle of the food stockpile as well!

Endok is moping about because his tree growifier still isn't finished. Some problem with the mechanics apparently. I pointed out the Foe Flusher had been empty for most of the year and the inside of that is muddy enough but never had any grass growing on it but he just muttered something about the light.
The mechanics on the big pump tower there are a little broken but hopefully there should be fixed at some point - then it would just be a matter of blocking off the stairs and turning the pumps back on. Won't be me in charge when that happens though, New Year is approaching quickly and everyone is far to drunk to do anything useful.

Maggarg has been badgering me about this lever manual of his again. We found a pile of levers that don't seem to do anything so I'll note them on this handy map I found under a lion in the dining room.

Save
Map

I'll add points-of-interest to the map marking levers that I know do something useful.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 05:29:56 pm by Kazindir »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 16, 2009, 12:33:04 pm »

Granite 1071
kaziari handed me a block o' wood today. Took me a while to work out it weren't a log, but a very thick book.
Told me it wuz important, and I read it. Lots of little maps labeled "DON'T PULL OR WE DIE, KAY?" Anyway, it had a lot of pages about these new-fangled lever thingies and mech-anne-icks. The pages are nice and soft and loosely bound, and should last me fer bog roll a few months.

(Don't worry, I read all of them. It's Keldor next, right?)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 16, 2009, 07:57:58 pm »

Endok got possessed?  I thought he was already legendary??

I think it's my turn, yes.  I'll get started tonight or tomorrow.  Can't say much else right now, using a laptop with a different format keyboard.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 17, 2009, 01:08:14 pm »

Endok was always a bit odd.  ;)

Maybe posession doesn't follow the same 1-artefact max rule? Or he got to legendary the old fashioned way - although I'm sure he's made an artefact in the past.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 18, 2009, 11:08:18 am »

There is no reference in previous posts to Endok making an artifact, so it looks like he got legendary the old-fashioned way.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 19, 2009, 06:32:17 am »

Journal of Endok Monagbesmar:

1st Granite, 1071:

I just realized something.  Today is the 20th anniversary of our wonderful fortress!  This calls for celebration!  It's a pity we don't have a new monument to unveil for the occasion.

Wait, maybe we can open the tree garden!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 19, 2009, 06:38:33 am »

2nd Granite, 1071:

I just noticed that our poor military has been on duty since the last siege!  I told the poor blokes to stand down.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 70