Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 86839 times)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #885 on: July 18, 2009, 07:38:34 am »

I think you'll find that that's Jools, the Duke Consort, who's surrounded by the pet jaguars. ;)
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 18, 2009, 08:32:47 am »

Maggarg has a bunch of pet cats.
He doesn't know why, he really hates cats.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 24, 2009, 06:57:29 pm »

Ok, you know what happened to magargg? well it happened to me too.
Tsiru cancels playing videogame: Stark raving mad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 25, 2009, 06:03:16 am »

dammit, I'll go for round 7, slot three.
THIS TIME I'LL SHOW THEM YOUNG FOLK!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 27, 2009, 10:41:22 am »

Ok, you know what happened to magargg? well it happened to me too.
Tsiru cancels playing videogame: Stark raving mad

I take it this means it's Kazindir's turn now?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 28, 2009, 05:20:37 am »

Apparently.
I hope he gets round to making the Central Control chamber.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 28, 2009, 07:48:51 am »

The...what?

Can you link levers to levers by the way? I've never tried it and half of the mechanics are somewhat inaccessible if you can't swim through high pressure water tunnels. ;)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 28, 2009, 08:09:47 am »

The...what?

Can you link levers to levers by the way? I've never tried it and half of the mechanics are somewhat inaccessible if you can't swim through high pressure water tunnels. ;)
I haven't a clue.
The problem is that I don't know what any of the levers do, and even less where they are.
Our mechanics are more fucked up than the Fritzl family.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #893 on: August 01, 2009, 10:03:17 pm »

Nice to see my legendary arena is still being used.  Other than that I barely recognize the fortress.  Its definately undergone major revisions from when I played it. 

Good job keeping it going.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 10, 2009, 12:59:43 pm »

Sorry for the delay :)

Granite, 1070
It's strangely quiet in Kulettogum. There is large amounts of work planned, from large scale flower picking (the King-consort claims it will make the trees grow) to random building projects but few dwarves seem to actually be doing anything about it. The western tradesman road is also still littered with goblin rubbish,

That's an awful lot of flowers.

Took a stroll around the fortress this morning and ended up in the surface-side wing that links the inner keep with the western gate, near the Cursed Bridge. There is a big hole in the roof and a mad old dwarf - not Maggarg this time - running around the ruins of that blasted bridge, shouting something about alligators and cheese.
Made a note to have that hole roofed over at some point.

Just got told the elven caravan has been sighted. No one seems to know what we have any more so I gave orders for the first 20 craftbins anyone saw to be hauled up. They'll probably be made out of wood and filled with goblin skull totems but I'm sure the elves love that sort of thing.

Discovered a drift of masonry orders stuffed in a side tunnel. No one seems to have touched any of them and at this rate they'll form a new coal vein before anyone does. Where is everyone?

The waterfall in the Abbey is somehow creating pools of water inside the Abbey on the floor. I don't understand how this is possible as it's traditional for water for fall down, rather than sideways. It must be a miracle!

Ah, I've discovered where all the workers are and why nothing is being done.
At some point a series of pumps to pump air about were installed in a new cavern named an "exercise gym", whatever that is. The workers have spent the last Armok knows how long pumping nothing furiously, to the point of exhaustion.
Apparantly this is good for them in the long term. Maybe but there is a lot of building work to be getting on with and hauling large blocks of rock salt up steep stairs is surely just as good for them!

Goden reports he's bought a few cages and some booze off the elves in exchange for some rock trickets and a few pieces of clothing far too large for a dwarf to wear. According to the stocks, we have over thirty thousand meals and seven thousand six hundred gallons of alcohol.
I'm not sure what to make of that. The food stores on the third level are so vast that from one end, you can't see the other.
We also still have a vast horde of livestock roaming the halls so the butchery orders have been reinstated.

Endok has announced today that an animal has grown to become a stray donkey.
I ordered it butchered for tea.

Slate, 1070
Does the Foe Flusher still work?

Also, made a note to replace some of the sylvite sections of the inner keep wall - I'm still not convinced it's stable. That amount of yellow can't be stable!

It seems it does work!

Ast Imusheshon Zasfer Ishen, the Crystalline Beast of Passion, bravely volunteered to test the force of the Foe Flusher. I'm not sure if she knew thats what she was doing by standing there oblivious to the shouts and the grinding noises from the floodgates but maybe she just needed to cool down.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 11, 2009, 02:54:24 am »

Journal of Endok, Slate 22nd, 1070:

I hear that Ast got doused by the foe flusher.  Not that I blame her - that flusher can be very subtle.  The last time they tested it, they say that I was sleeping in the middle of it at the time.  I wondered why I was all wet when I woke up.

((Yes, that actually happened to Endok during one of my turns...  I think it was the same incident that led him to falling asleep on a cage trap. e.e))

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 13, 2009, 02:49:35 pm »

Mandates:
The Duchess Consort insists we export neither adamantite nor earrings.
The Duke Consort demands 2 bucklers.
The Tax Collector wants things made out of rope reed. Something. Anything.
The Mayor and Broker insists no black bronze items are to be exported at all.

Orders have been added and I'll ensure efforts to halt the export of mythical materials and things we don't have are redoubled!

Nish Astcerol has been recognised as a legendary champion after some particularly fine shooting at the crossbow range today. Idathzas Erith - the Amusing Crystal of Labour. I'm not sure what was so amusing though.

Endok has been looking industrious in the courtyard of the inner keep the last few days - keeps muttering something about trees and rock. There have been more complaints about the living quarters. The peasants like the new quarters but many of them are still crammed into the old, or worse, into the same small barracks that the original founders once used decades ago. There is so much to do that isn't being done already but maybe some of the areas around the Great Tower can be converted to living space.

We've definitely got enough gems for windows.

Felsite, 1070

Erm. The miraculous water pool in the Abbey has turned into a bit of a lake. Some might even call it a flood. Most of the northern side of the Sun of Rakust is a bit muddy, it must be a sign from Gembish! I wonder what of...
We're going to shut down the waterfall and narrow the bars a little, see if that helps. Someone may even mop up the mud one day.

How do we actually feed the Hammerer? There are some holes in the roof but no one seems to want to put things down them for him to eat.

Progress on the new living quarters are going well, won't be long until a fine new dining room and barracks is available just north of the Great Tower

The floodgate feeding the waterfall has been closed but a massive surge of water has been spurting out from beneatht he northern bastion for the last day now. Most of the surge has been carried down the river but the banks by the Bastion have been very waterlogged, including the waterwheels.

I don't understand! Where is the water coming from?!

Another day has passed and the surge is getting worse. The waterwheels are heavily flooded, with water lapping down one of the access tunnels. On the north bank, the Northern Gate has water reaching right up to it and on the southern there is flood water down the side of the Great Tower.

If this keeps going we may lose many of the access tunnels including those for the moat drainer and this stranging sorting contraption.
At least the floodgate put in to prevent the main fortress from flooding after the moat digging incident 10 years or so ago still works!

I've no idea what going on - somehow, turning off the water supply to the waterfall caused an enormous amount of extra water to come out of it...what's going on!

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 13, 2009, 03:01:41 pm »

Wait, no it doesn't. Well, it works fine, but at some point the old access staircase that went from the possibly wet side of the floodgate down to the well pump at the bottom has been reopened.

Right in the middle of the main hall.

There also seems to be a new lever down there. I don't remember seeing it before, I wonder what it does...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 15, 2009, 11:56:36 am »

There are levers everywhere, and no-one knows what most of them do.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 24, 2009, 04:39:09 pm »

I shall find out!

22nd Felsite , 1070

As quickly as it came, the surge has subsided, leaving the banks sodden but otherwise unharmed.
There was almost a fatal result down in the axle shaft beneath the river though - it's cramped and dangerous as it is, with the tunnel being filled by the mighty, constantly turning axle, but during the surge some dwarves were trapped down there as the tunnel filled with water along with a collection of panicking donkeys, dogs and a hippo.

There is a terrible miasma spreading to the east of the swimming pool, down where those odd platforms jut out into the water. Not sure where it is coming from but someone should go and have a look.

I told someone to pull that mystery lever at the bottom the well. We should really know what these things do.

Oh dear.
The source of the miasma near the pool has been found, a bloated human corpse.

According to the few sodden bits of parchement that were still legible found with him, he was the human Guild Representative to Kulettogum. What he was doing down there or how he got there in the first place no one knows but I doubt the humans will be very chuffed, especially not if they're billed for cleaning the pool.

Whilst down there I noticed there were also 4 levers in the swimming pool room itself, one in each corner. No idea what they do either, so ordered them all pulled as well.

Hematite, 1070
Summer has arrived!

No sign of those levers having actually done anything yet.

The bonecrafters have been cancelling all their orders recently, claiming we have no bones left. How can this be?!
I went straight to the bonehoard and yes, not a bone in sight. A fair few shells and skulls but no actual bones. We still have hundreds of animals wandering around awating to be slaughtered though and our lone butchers shop is in dire need of cleaning, so some new butcheries with a closer refuse pile for the chunks to rot are under construction.

Ah.
Apparantly the Hammerer has died of thirst.
In other completely unrelated news, I've decided to take a spell in the guards, to learn how to wear plate armour.

16th Hematite
The enemy have come and are laying siege to the fortress!
What enemy? Why doesn't the enemy think it's a vile force of darkness?

It's the humans. Seems they decided their representative killing himself in the swimming pool was somehow our fault. They don't seem to be doing much though, just sat ontop of a distant hill having a barbeque.

Well, a week has passed and the humans haven't moved. I found a nice dog leather shield though, that was nice - dog leather is good, right?

A pump operator has been taken by a fey mood. He was seen skipping off towards a masons workshop.

Those levers still haven't done anything that anyone has reported, so I ordered them removed. The humans haven't done anything either.

Malachite, 1070

Today I was recognised as an official novice shielddwarf! Hurray!

The pump operator re-emerged today dragging a huge microcline cabinet.

Godenroder Ritholdodok, Ropebaldness the Noble Clasp, a microcline cabinet. Encircled with bands of microcline, cave lobster, giant cave spider silk and pine, it is adorned with hanging rings of turtle shell and menaces with spikes of moss agate. On the item are two images, one of a rat weed in rope weed and the other an image of Udil Laborcloister on his dat of ascension to the leadership of the Rag of Suns in 983, in turtleshell.

Went up to the walls today to wave at the humans. They don't seem interested any more, stuck up on that hill of theirs. It looks like they've made a right mess up there, playing around in the mud. The woodcutters and plant gatherers are still outside the walls doing their jobs and the occaisonal looter picking through the battle debris by the western gate - the gates haven't even been closed since the human arrived with this siege of theirs. Even the goblins manage to do better than this, it's almost embarrassing.

On the way back form the walls I took a look at the old pump tower for the Foe Flusher and the original well cistern. The pumptower is built on sylvite you can see the efects of the strain at the bottom of the tower. The cistern itself is terrible - it's not so much a cistern as a murky pool someone put a roof over.

Even worse, apparantly it was enlarged simply by digging some tunnels undetneath it then flooding them, so Armok knows what sort of rotting debris is trapped beneath the cavern layers - and this is supposed to be the *well*! Something will have to be done about this, although I can't seem to find any masons.

The new fire opal windows in the Abbey were completed today, so the floodgates beneath the great tower have been opened once more. Hopefully this time the miracle pools made by the waterfall will be kept on a smaller scale and no longer threaten to flood the whole Abbey. PArts of the floor still need to be repaved though, soemthing about cleaning being unlikely and it being easier to simply repave the stones than wait for a peasant with a bucket to pass. Checking our records I am forced to agree - it seems we have only one official peasant and she's a little overworked.

Or I'll try to, if I can stop getting distracted by eleventy million things at once.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:29:25 am by Kazindir »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 70