Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 86819 times)

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #780 on: April 29, 2009, 05:41:15 am »

I did say I could haunt the place once *someone* got me killed. ;)

(Bumping for updates)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 01, 2009, 11:12:57 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of Ustuth Elbellogem, King Consort:

5th Slate, 1069:
Kulettögum, that is, the main massing of the original salt, taken by itself would have displayed a certain ponderous architectural quality were it possible to have ignored the circumfusion of those mean dwellings that swarmed like an epidemic around its outer walls.  They sprawled over the muddy earth, each one half way under its neighbor until, held back by the fortress ramparts, the innermost of these hovels laid hold on the great walls, clamping themselves thereto like limpets to a rock...

I have taken to novel-writing, anything to pass the time in this dreary place.  The tale is to be about the reign of Urist Groan, Seventy-Seventh King Consort of Kulettögum, his life, among the lowly dwarves of this place, and the goblin squatters living outside the walls.  I think my sweet tootsie would have been proud!  Were that she were still here...[here the diary trails off into a tear-stained scrawl of rememberances]
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 01, 2009, 11:16:33 pm »

Journal of Endok Monangbesmar:

5th Slate:

The Duchess Consort has mandated that we produce adamantine items!  I've checked and double-checked the hoard records, but there's no record of any of the stuff ever being found!  She also wants another buckler.  I'll have Kazari put an order in, I guess.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 01, 2009, 11:35:33 pm »

Journal of Ustuth Elbellogem, King Consort:

6th Slate, 1069:

One of the peasantry has created a wonderful artifact, Gudikobem Limulmingtuth, or Lessentroubles the Golden Contingency, a marvelous golden idol.  It's a representation of the dwarven spirit that drives the goblins away from this place, the contingency to lessen our troubles, no matter what the circumstances.  It's quite a work for a mere peasant.  I wonder what my sweet tootsie would think?

This idol is encrusted with rock salt, representative of the stinging wounds of our troubles, but the gold studs and elephant leather decoration show our defience, our resolution to stand fast.  The willow decoration represents our ability to bend with the times, in order to adapt to adversity.

There are also bands of gold, pig tail, and dog leather about the object.  These represent golden hearted compassion, tightly woven loyalty, and hard work.

Finally, there is an image of Charriddles, the artifact toy hammer, in cave lobster shell and an image of a narrow crescent in goblin bone.  The first is no doubt a reference to our brave hammerer, the second a reference to his endearing love of collecting totems made out of the skulls of our enemies.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 02, 2009, 02:19:30 am »

The duchess consort wants adamantine items?

Oh dear, no doubt some unlucky legendary metalsmith will get hammered to death, unless you do something about it.

*hint* *hint*
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 06, 2009, 04:39:15 am »

It has been some time since we last heard from Kulettogum. Is it under permanent siege? Has Issha escaped and killed everyone? Has everyone jumped down the abbey pit rather than do any more bloody masonry? :o

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 06, 2009, 11:01:58 am »

I did say I could haunt the place once *someone* got me killed. ;)

(Bumping for updates)
In my day ghosts didn't just talk about haunting, oh no! *lights pipe*
They got down to the real business of pullin' of heads and smashin' valuable windows...
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 09, 2009, 12:38:10 am »

Journal of Endok Monangbesmar

9th Slate, 1069:

Today I noticed that someone had decided to remove the pick-your-own sunberries and grow longland grass there instead!  Thankfully, they only got as far as setting up the plant grass markers, so I easilly fixed that.  I like sunberries, and sunshine is even better!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 09, 2009, 01:04:53 am »

Journal of Ustuth Elbellogem, King Consort:

9th Slate, 1069:

Oh, those blathering idiots!  First they build my wonderful abbey low to the ground, rather than soaring into the sky, and now their waterfall has spread mud all over my beautiful mosaic!  What would my tootsie think?  Oh, this is simply dreadful!

What's worse, there's a dead palm sapling poking up through the tiles by the Pit of Devotion!  Moreover, there's a big hole in the floor at the back end of the abbey!  Can't these peasants do anything right?  Oh, times like this are when I miss my sweet tootsie the most, she'd know what to do, yes she would!  But I?  Well, if I stand over here, then the horrible calamity is hidden.  Yes, that's what I'll do.

((The abbey waterfall is spilling out of the pit a bit, tracking mud all over the mosaic.  A couple of the fortress cats can be seen watching the water and occasionally poking at the mud cautiously with a paw.  That's the King Consort himself standing on the other side of the pit, where he can't see the mess XD

I have no idea what to do about it, I think I might just build color coordinated block roads over the muddy parts, unless anyone can think of something better?))

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 09, 2009, 01:22:38 am »

10th Slate, 1069:

Oh, but this place is surely a horrible mud puddle!  Why, today, I caught one of the lowly peasantry, with her filthy baby, eating on my sweet tootsie's throne!  She told me that the room wasn't officially claimed!  The nerve!

((And this one really was just a peasant!))

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 17, 2009, 12:04:43 pm »

Journal of Endok Monangbesmar:

10th Slate, 1069:

With Kazari's help, I finally managed to get the fortress powertrain fully connected!  As a result, we actually have a significant power surplus, just waiting to be used...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 17, 2009, 12:17:51 pm »

11th Slate, 1069:

Goden, our deputy trader, was complaining about all of Jool's jaguars pouncing on her when she went to get a drink.  They're sweet creatures, but I'll admit they can be a handful, especially the cubs.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 17, 2009, 12:48:38 pm »

18th Slate, 1069:

The great salt shaker has been completed!  Except for the middle hole anyway, which is plugged with salt, and a pile of ash that no one will touch.  In fact, if asked, most dwarves will make a sign against evil and quickly back away.  Quite strange really.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 17, 2009, 01:05:04 pm »

23rd Slate, 1069:

Well, they wanted carp in the abbey pit.  What they got were hippos.  Silly creatures dove in to play in the water, and now they can't get back out.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 17, 2009, 01:55:02 pm »

7th Felsite, 1069:

I wanted to cheer up the peasantry, so I've had a nice engraving done in the entrance to the lower quarter.  I would have helped with the engraving, but I was busy carving some stone blocks, and by the time I was done, the engraving was already finished!  Those engravers really do work fast!

The engravings are of a inspiring nature, they depict everyday heroics that everyone can aspire to - the creating of artifacts, the slaying of goblins, and even relate the story of how my old friend Keldor, a mere planter, struck out into the unknown to build this very fortress.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 70