Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 86873 times)

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #270 on: August 15, 2008, 05:37:46 am »

Bumping for justice. And updates. :)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 17, 2008, 08:45:09 am »

Finally!  After four tries, the siege is over!  And Kazindir didn't even die this time!  Next we get to other pressing matters, such as rescuing dwarves from the swimming pool ::)

12th Limestone, 1060:

The caravan, apparently presenting a easy target, has been attacked.  As soon as the merchants in the head of the caravan heard the screams of their companions near the end of the line, they all turned about to flee.  Straight into the goblins.

13th Limestone, 1060:

The tide has turned in the favor of the merchants!  Apparently they were not as weak as the goblins thought.  Two of the wagons even escaped.  Heeding the call of armor and weapons left behind in the overturned wagons, our entire military is now joining in to the battle, in a piecemeal fashion, so that they can get shares of the loot.  I may have to forbid anyone going near it, since it remains important that the military remain at its posts!

15th Limestone, 1060:

Kazindir is asleep.  The second group of goblins has almost reached the bridge.  Without Kazindir to lead them, the remainder of our military mills about in confusion in much the same fashion as headless chickens.

16th Limestone, 1060:

The first group of goblin archers is marching past the outer guard tower, but the marksdwarves who are supposed to be in the tower are nowhere to be seen.

Kazindir awakes!  He is currently making short work of an elite axe goblin.

17th Limestone, 1060:

The group of goblins at the bridge was charged by Kazindir, and summarily dispatched.  By the time the rest of Kazindir's squad (which wasn't far bahind!) reached the fray, Kazindir had singlehandedly killed or incapacitated nearly half of the goblins!

Meanwhile, due to our missing marksdwarves, the marksgoblins have taken the outer gate.  We lost three dwarves there, all of whom were disobeying orders in order to pick up some of the (forbidden!) loot from the fallen caravan.

19th Limestone, 1060:

The goblins are breaking ranks and fleeing!  Unfortunently, the price was heavy.  Two champians as well as others lie dead on the battlefield.

The siege is officially broken!  Kazindir is chasing down the fleeing goblins.  I just hope he won't get in over his head if they decide to make a last stand.

In the chaos, a kobold thief managed to sneak in.  It probably won't get far, however...

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:48:32 am by Keldor »
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 17, 2008, 03:27:33 pm »

Hooray! Kazindir's alive! And awake! And killing goblins!

That siege must have been an absolute arse to fight through. Getting through with casualties that low is damn good - were the casualties anyone we cared about? Named dwarves, the famous Endok, certain nameless traders who never get round to actually trading?

And how's the rest of the year going?

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 17, 2008, 03:40:35 pm »

I don't believe the casualties were anyone important, although one of the champions that died (Zasit) has been mentioned a couple times, mostly as the guy who becomes squad leader when Kazindir is AWOL.  Other than that, we just lost a couple random fortress guard and soldiers, mostly those that were too busy with Pickup Equipment to notice that the equipment in question had been forbidden  :P.  I don't believe that there were any civilian casualties, since everyone managed to get inside (amazingly enough, given the carp catching wall construction project which was designed to protect from just such an incidence - once finished of course!), and since the entrance dance never made it out of the main keep.

The rest of the year will probably involve me trying to figure out how to lower the water level in the swimming pool, and quickly too, since several dwarves are stranded.  It'll be tricky, since if the water level goes too low, it'll trigger the floodgate to open again.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:44:32 pm by Keldor »

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 17, 2008, 05:43:02 pm »

Cool :)

Is the water in the pool still the same depth it was when they managed to swim across it the first time? If so the dwarves are being rather silly. :P

Checking Endok's scribblings, it depends on what floodgates are where now (is the pressure pad one a new floodgate?) but pulling this lever will open/close the gate at the bottom of the well. Once that's closed you just need to deal with the water in the pool.

If that won't work, pull this. (You may need to pull the lever for this in order to reach it.) Will stop the pump at the bottom of the well, so you'll only have the swimming pool water and the few tiles of water at the bottom of the well itself to deal with.

Maybe only depth 2 water will do? Hmm. ;D

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 17, 2008, 11:18:16 pm »

Yes, it's the same depth as before ::)  It's somewhere in the 5-6 range, but that doesn't seem to stop them from pathing in, then climbing out wherever they  can.  There are two dwarves stuck on the 'islands', while another got stuck in the back tunnel (last place to fill), and is now bobbing up and down in the water complaining of thirst.

I'm going to have to shut down the pump, since I connected the pressure plate to the lever controled  floodgate because of some oddities in pressure plate behavior.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2008, 03:10:31 am »

...another got stuck in the back tunnel (last place to fill), and is now bobbing up and down in the water complaining of thirst.

It's a shame we can't fill the pool with rum or something instead of just water. Then the problems with dwarves not wanting to go in to it, and the problems of trying to empty it would be gone in an instant...

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2008, 04:40:52 am »

I just had an even better idea for extending the waterworks to vast and giddy new heights of pointless complexity! :)

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2008, 06:23:00 am »

Building a giant reservoir over the entire map at the top of the Z axis, with regularly spaced outlets underneath, controlled by floodgates connected to a network of levers, so that pulling a single lever can flood any small area of the map and wash away sieges, or pull the lot and call ourselves Noah, Shem and Ham?

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 19, 2008, 06:46:52 am »

No. :lol:

It will require the dragon and/or hydra or any other megabeast though. Or not really require but would work best with. :)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 19, 2008, 02:22:35 pm »

I LIVE!
I just got back from Croatia, and I'm ready to go tomorrow.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 19, 2008, 02:27:15 pm »

This is a VERY(!!!) good succession game, I've just read all the way through it, and this is now the personal favourite (of what I've read) thread in the comunity section!

I was wondering if I could have a turn, I have a small idea of how to capture those darn carp

And best of all, it won't flood the fortress!!!

Well... It SHOULDN'T... :P
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 20, 2008, 03:30:30 am »

I'm mildly amazed that I haven't been skipped.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 20, 2008, 04:08:17 am »

This succession game is a fairly slow runner - I don't quite know what it is, but FPS tend to be on the low side, and it took me about 11 days for my last turn to be complete - and that was before more water-pumping stuff got added like the drowning swimming pool, and without a huge siege by seriously arse-kicking goblins to try to get through without any critical casualties. I kind of like that though - we may not be rushing swiftly through turns, but this place keeps ticking over and surviving, strip mining z-levels, building some great and crazy stuff, and generally being rather cool and entertaining.

Plus I think it's taken a while to get to you because Keldor has other responsibilities right now... ;-D

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 20, 2008, 04:36:48 am »

Keldor has been taking our traders lead and is snoozing his way through his year. :P

The only things I can think of for speed are:

1) The carp - there are always quite a few of them in the river, I doubt they are the main cause but they won't be helping!

2) Pathfinding/object number - The underground bits of the fortress are rather confused and cluttered in places. I've read numbers of stockpiled items can effect FPS as well, and we have a vast stockpile of food - it was around 14000 when I last played. I've no idea if it's true but I could see how that might cause some slowdown, the game having to keep track of that much food (along with all the other goods) and for dwarves to decide what theu're eating, drag it down to the dining rooms etc. Might be an idea to turn all the fields to fallow for a year or three and see if that helps?

But as Jools says it's ok on the whole as it's still more than playable and it gives plenty of time for contemplation of new projects - and as the OP says you don't have to do a whole year if you don't have time, just do what you can. :)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 70