Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 86851 times)

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2008, 10:45:49 am »

Just got the message: "previous leader turned to ash, come quickly". Ouch.

I'll get to it tomorrow afternoon since only my work computer is good enough to run DF properly, and luckily I don't have much work to do anyway. Are we using the new version or the old one? Any configurations to be aware of?
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2008, 10:57:47 am »

Unless the new version breaks something catastrophically, it's probably easiest to use 39c, or whatever's the most recent.  There shouldn't be any unusual configurations, since the fort was started with 38c vanilla.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2008, 11:29:09 am »

Unless the new version breaks something catastrophically, it's probably easiest to use 39c, or whatever's the most recent.  There shouldn't be any unusual configurations, since the fort was started with 38c vanilla.

It might have started out as vanilla but it looks a bit more like raspberry ripple now with all the carp blood on it...

Anyway. Damn lightning storm. I hope that you didn't lose anything more than the save, Aardvark.

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2008, 11:45:47 am »

No I was lucky, have been playing DF for awhile today.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2008, 01:19:12 am »

*Random thought*

Next immigrant wave, could you name a dwarf Wulfgar Openthroat for me? "Axedwarf" and Paranoid Tree-Murderer (ie, Lumberjack). Or just rename some mook and fudge it.

He can arrive with tales of the last replacement administrator being struck down by an animated tree-mage's lightning spell in ambush(ie, it started to rain, Aardvark sought shelter under a tree, and was struck by lightning), of the harrowing battle that followed(dark, stormy, a bit of panic and alot of imagination), and the doubtlessly numerous other travelers struck down that night(there was alot of lightning = alot of other ambushes, or maybe the storm was cover). All of it the result is those scheming, tree-loving elves(a 'scout'[/random immigrant] thought he saw one through the woods earlier that day before the storm - obviously they were being sneakily followed)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2008, 05:37:00 am »

Hehe, I imagined him standing atop the tower, giving a grand speech about the glorious future of the fort... :D

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 22, 2008, 12:14:35 am »

Very fun read.  Posting so this shows up on the new replies list.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 22, 2008, 06:01:47 pm »

Started playing today. Going at an average, uhh... 25 FPS. So this is going to take a little while... ^^'

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2008, 03:53:08 pm »

(Due to the game running really slow, and getting a sudden load of work, I'll only play autumn and winter. That should also normalize the schedule. :) )

Journal of Endok 'Omega' Nomaletost, Temporary Administrator and former Philosopher

1st Limestone, 1058

It's raining a lot today.

Our new administrator finally showed up. We managed to fish him from the overflowing river  and brought him inside. Some of the peasants were in the middle of drying him up when,  announced his intentions: he wanted to make a brilliant speech at the top of the salt tower  to mark his arrival. The Duchess and I tried to dissuade him, urging him to wait until the  skies cleared, but he was adamant in his determination.

The rain had barely stopped when he made his way to the higher level of the tower, raised  his notes in one hand, cleared his throat, and was promptly struck by lightning.

2nd Limestone, 1058

We finally managed to convince some idle commonner called Stukos to go up the tower. He  couldn't find anything up there except a small pile of wet ash.

At least we won't have to bury him.

3rd Limestone, 1058

I'm told there was a gathering and that it was decided that I would be appointed the new  administrator, until a new one showed up. Funny, I spent most of the day over the new  bridge, musing about life, death and fish, and can't remember being called to any sort of  meeting.

Ah, well. Can't be all that hard. And it's not like I was doing anything good, anyway. To  work!

4th Limestone, 1058

Ordered a microcline statue in honour of our former administrator to be built in the bottom  level of the tower (simply because no one wanted to put it at the top). I'd have his name  engraved on it, but I don't think he lived long enough to tell us.

Also, the tax collector told me that weird Duke Consort decided to change the prices on some  items. I can't for the life of me find out what exactly he changed, though.

5th Limestone, 1058

Dresdor the Quartermaster tells me he just finished a trade agreement with Xakimong (been  there, nice place, awful at choosing names). Apparently, they're very interested in  Scepters. I wonder if we have many of those in stock.

Also, Bomrek (the mayor), just mandated a buckler. Funny, we DO have a buckler laying  around, so why did he waste all the paperwork officially mandating it instead of just going  there and grabbing the thing?

6th Limestone, 1058

The Merchant Prince has left the fortress.

Also, the Duchess Consort decided she likes copper warhammers too much to allow them to be  sold. Huh.

9th Limestone, 1058

Some of the rooms in the living quarters level were still empty. That should be fixed before  the end of the month.

What's this smell...?

12th Limestone, 1058

Three more price changes today. I added mine to the pile, it's not like the tax collector  isn't happy to have something to do.

Also, I just found one of our Fish Cleaners lugging a rock coffer around with a broken spine  and pierced lung. What a remarkable example of perseverance!

Speaking of fish cleaners, I found out what the smell was: apparently we have a huge pile of  fish waiting to be prepared. Looks like that guy won't have any time to rest.

15th Limestone, 1058

The hammerer sure likes buying cheap meat... another price change.

21st Limestone, 1058

Duchess Consort ordered ballista parts. We already have those, too. I wonder what she wants  to do with those. I mean, they aren't particularly good as room decoration either.

22nd Limestone, 1058

A caravan from Unib Ad showed up today. I haven't checked our stocks yet, and I don't think  anyone left a note saying what we need. Mhm...

(second entry:)

Some arrows and a few pieces of goblin clothing. Plus a couple dozen crafts bins. Let's see  what's in them. The Depot was also clogged with cages from the last caravan, so I've set  another cage stockpile near the first one.

The tax collector also imposed a ban on bonobo leather stuff. Dresdor has been warned about  that.

(third entry:)

Amazingly, Dresdor got to the depot before the merchants starting to sing "ninety nine kegs  of beer".

(fourth entry:)

Ambush to the south! A handful of melee goblins plus a few bowgoblin, so I brought everybody  in. Kazindir was practically begging for action, so I sent him and his squad out while  Bomrek defended the entrance.

Cog Shorastcuggán (champion hammerdwarf) got there first and wiped most of them out before  retreating to tend a gash on his leg. Kazindir, understandably, was disappointed when he  arrived and found only a half-dead wrestler.

What a busy day!

(fifth entry:)

Dresdor is back to normal: eating instead of trading. Good news is: now we have a lot more  narrow clothing to sell!

(sixth entry:)

The rest of the ambushers decided to show up. At our west entrance. Right in front of  Kazindir and his squad. I've put the haulers on alert.

(seventh entry:)

No more goblins, a lot more useless junk to bring to the depot. Kazindir just went to sleep.

Note to self: never annoy Kazindir and his folks.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:55:19 pm by Omega2 »

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2008, 12:20:54 am »

...Shouldn't the gods have waited until AFTER Aardvark said something blasphemous before smiting him?  Maybe it was preemptive...
 ;D ;D ;D

(OOC) Now you have to go to the wood furnace, have them make some ashes, and then put a special ashes stockpile on top of the tower... The ashes get hauled up, you forbid them and remove the stockpile, and presto!  "Remains of Administrator"  Oh, you'll probably have to set the stockpile to not allow any bins, or else they'll put the ashes in a bin.(/OOC)

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2008, 02:56:51 am »

It's not to us to question the Gods' motives. Maybe they just didn't like Aardvark.

Anyway, great update! Nice to know that my dwarf is still fiddling with stuff.

<edit> Just checked the first page, and I like the summaries of how each dwarf got on. Can you stick me on the end of the list for round three? </edit>
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:17:28 am by Jools »

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2008, 03:44:24 am »

Added Jools in for round 3 ;-)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2008, 05:03:49 am »

It's not to us to question the Gods' motives. Maybe they just didn't like Aardvark.

Anyway, great update! Nice to know that my dwarf is still fiddling with stuff.

<edit> Just checked the first page, and I like the summaries of how each dwarf got on. Can you stick me on the end of the list for round three? </edit>
Perhaps he was wearing a hat that menaced with copper spikes.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2008, 04:28:45 am »

Doink.
Bumped.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 28, 2008, 05:24:28 am »

I hope Omega hasn't fallen in the river. :)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 70