Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 84468 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #750 on: April 03, 2009, 10:15:34 am »

We've got plenty of super-high pressure water just waiting to kill people.
Use it on them before it breaks out and kills us.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 08, 2009, 04:51:24 am »

The water is flowing freely and no one is in danger of drowning. Everything is under control, please remain calm.

*Kazari has been comforted by a wonderful waterfall recently*
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:53:24 am by Kazindir »

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 08, 2009, 01:58:49 pm »

The marksdwarves moved to the overwatch span and the north gate was opened.

The marksdwarves then decided it was time for bed and all except one promptly left. Vucar, the only dwarf actuall willing to do ther job, is alone and rather unhelfully decided to bring only one bolt with him.

A planter has been taken by a fey mood and several of the crossbowgoblins have been dismounted and generally bashed about by some of my traps on the bridge. Vucar is taking potshots at them as well but most of them are withdrawing.

The champions are pursuing and will hopefully kill off the hammergoblins without further incident.
Hopefully.

The masons have drawn up so many masonry plans that I don't know what is being built now. I have a sneaking suspicion they don't know either - between the Abbey and the walls there are masons running all over. At least no one has complained about the lack of work for a few months now though.

The last of the goblins has been driven off and the siege has been broken.
One of the champions was slain in the beakdog charge and has been laid to rest in the Halls of Echoing Repose.
Which reminds me, the extension to the Halls is coming along nicely, almost all smoothed and engraved now.

A goblin snatcher was spotted and chased off through the western gate today. The champions doing the chasing found a whole ambush waiting but took care of it without incident.

Tested the waterfall today and it seems to work. Still a fair bit to finish so it may be some time yet until we can have a grand opening. Omega gave the mechanisms to the hatches a good workout.

The cave river in Issha's Cavern is filling up nicely, although the pumps have been turned off again after a retaining wall collapsed. The masons say it wasn't even finished properly!

The masons building the northern bastion have finished the first layer, so enemies approaching the north gate can now be shot at from behind the relative safety of the fortifications. A bridge links it to the Great Tower, with a lever inside the Tower to retract the bridge. Perhaps a second floor with a barracks and dining area would be good, with practice targets on the ground floor to allow marksdwarves to live and resupply there without having to traipse over to the other side of the fortress. There is a well on the ground floor, or will be.

Food and drink has been moved to some of the completed storage areas under the Abbey and the waterfall reactivated.
It's all going surprisingly smoothly now and no one has drowned or even fallen in, depsite the current lack of bars.

The year has ended and a new one has begun. Time to find Keldor.

This fortress is getting rather Gormenghast-y  ;D

Save
Map

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 08, 2009, 05:50:30 pm »

I think i'm ready for my first succession game, so sign me up for a turn (Is someone taking a turn now or?)

Edit: In the event that it is my turn next, i have started.

edit2: Sorry, the fort is so huge my computer drops to abysmal FPS, resulting in one day taking around 22 minutes. un fortunately i do not have 133 hours to devote to this fort.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:39:09 pm by alphawolf29 »

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 09, 2009, 03:57:22 am »

Ouch. :o

Kulettogum moves with dignity although it's not nearly as slow for me.

I usually do it as a background task, putting in a load of orders and then spending time writing it up whilst it runs, reading forums, watching telly, planning further gigantoexpansions etc. :)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 03:59:01 am by Kazindir »

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 09, 2009, 11:57:37 pm »

Regarding Issha's cavern - the goblins are dropped into the river and expected to swim to riverbank to be killed by Issha, but what if they swim to the opposite side of the river?
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 10, 2009, 08:45:39 am »

Then they live out the rest of their natural lives as part of a peaceful community.

Damn.  :D

I guess some little mining of a (non-topple-able) tunnel, maybe at the current east end of the cavern might be in order to get round!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 11, 2009, 06:17:02 am »

Maybe just a bridge....

Or, we have 2 colossi, right?

And I guess it's my turn now - darn, didn't finish Halltraded...  I guess I get to juggle now!
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 11, 2009, 07:01:04 am »

Excerpt from the journal of Endok Monangbesmar:

Granite 1st, 1069:

Today I discovered many wonderful creatures cramped in cages and neglected!  Some of the poor things weren't even tame!  I've decided that I need to tame them at once!

On the way up, I passed the butcher shop.  It seems that we've been slaughtering creatures for food, despite the records saying that we have plenty!  I will put an end to this monstrosity at once!  It's almost as if the other dwarves can't read my records.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 11, 2009, 07:22:06 am »

Journal of Ustuth Elbellogem, King Consort:

1st Granite, 1069:

Duke Consort Jools Zimducim has made an interesting proposal, that we complete the top of the Great Salt Shaker.  Because of his status as a Duke Consort, lowly perhaps, but not so low as the peasantry, but most importantly, because I will not have incomplete projects sullying my kingdom, I have acquiesced to his request.  Besides, it's not like the peasantry don't have time to handle an additional project.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 11, 2009, 07:40:08 am »

Journal of Endok Monangbesmar:

Granite 2nd, 1069:

Although our swimming pool is too deep for dwarves, the humans don't seem to mind.  I just sighted our guild representative taking a dip.  I wonder why he's not discussing trade agreements?

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 11, 2009, 02:14:42 pm »

Maybe just a bridge....

Or, we have 2 colossi, right?

I thought bridges were destroyable? When the collossus is released she'dd be found to destroy anything she can as a first order of business.

I think we do have another bronze colossus somewhere though. :)

/edit Nooo, don't stop the fps-saving-slaughter-efforts!

I think the Human has been there sobbing and having flashbacks since one of the sieges. Although I think the humans arrived and left ok last summer, it was "just" the leves and dwarves that nevr showed up.  :P

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:18:00 pm by Kazindir »

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 12, 2009, 09:03:03 am »

By bridge, I meant more in the strip of floor spanning the river sense.  They can't destroy constructions  ;D

Come to think of it, I'll want to make sure there's a ramp up from the river, since it wouldn't be the first time I've seen megabeasts "dodge into" a body of water - I seem to recall that happening a while ago during an epic fight against one of our mules...

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 12, 2009, 09:48:54 am »

Are you sure? I've seen big monsters topple floors before just like they do statues - although that might have been a titan rather than a colossus. :)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 15, 2009, 04:06:56 pm »

Journal of Ustuth Elbellogem, King Consort:

7th Granite, 1069:

That lazy beardless peasant miner, what was it?  Walter?  Dug a mere cubit through the earth for the power interconnect project before calling it a day!  What would my sweet tootsie think?  She'd have a fish dissector show her how to dissect him alive, that's what she'd do!
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 70