Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 84430 times)

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2008, 10:01:00 am »

There is carp access to the southernmost grate section, because it's directly connected to the river...as well as part of the well system (just not the inner parts).  So there's carp a plenty.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2008, 10:08:00 am »

Update 2: still spring.

Work on the bridge system is progressing, although it has been interrupted by pesky goblins. There's a squad of crossbowgoblins on beak dogs somewhere nearby, but they haven't got any access to my fleshy dwarven population, so I guess it's all right.

Fortunately, the only casualty so far has been the aforementioned woodworker. I guess that old adage is true: "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few dwarves".

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2008, 04:39:00 am »

GeneralValter, it's been nearly a week since you've posted.  You still with us?
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2008, 09:05:00 am »

I am still with us. Studying for finals has gotten the best of me, but I have enough content to make an update.

We had been under siege for the better part of the spring. The raised drawbridge prevented access to the fort by the goblins, but Valter was still uneasy. At the end of the season, he finally snapped.

"I need another line of weapon traps here. Then, we fight."

After the traps were ready, the drawbridge was lowered. The single remaining squad of military dwarves stood and waited.

--------------------------------------------------
Carnage report: The first enemies to arrive were two macegoblin squads. I had hoped to position my dwarves far enough way to from the goblins so as to let them impale themselves on my devious traps, but several dwarves jumped the gun. I decided "what the heck?" and sent the entire squad in after them. The dwarves reached the goblins just as the goblins reached the weapon traps. The rest of the battle can be summed up with this picture:

About a bajillion dogs died, and four or five dwarves. I currently don't have an exact body count, but this fortress has way too many dwarves in it already.

After the macegoblin spree, the captain of the guard (and the squad) decided it was a nice time for a drink. Fortunately, this was the only time in DF history when that could have been useful, because the rest of the squad followed the captain down the main stairs just as the crossbow-goblins arrived.

I was afraid the crossbow-goblins would make it through the measly two lines of weapon traps, but they impaled themselves significantly enough to start running. The last enemy squad, a group of swords-goblins, decided that they would forgo the whole "impale themselves on weapon traps" step, and skipped straight to the "Run away!!!" step.

All in all: not bad. The second line of weapon traps should be enough to last the enemy sieges for a while, or at least until I can get my bridge system up.

Extra tid-bits: I found a magnetite cluster, so we now have a massive amount of iron at our hands. I also found a few veins of bituminous coal, so we should be set there. Without flux, we can't make much steel, but between melting the goblin metal and smelting our magnetite, we could equip our entire fortress with armor and weapons.

[ May 31, 2008: Message edited by: GeneralValter ]

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

Ah, good.  I was afraid we'd have to skip you, but I'm glad we don't :-)

What's with all those random pillers in your picture?

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

dresdor made them to keep the front-door-waterfall-mechanism-thing from  caving in. Silly dresdor!

I'm now working through summer. Only alarming thing to note is an unhappy peasant. I'll check his relationships page later to make sure that he doesn't tantrum-spiral. If he does have lots of friends, he might just have to sleep in the noble's quarters for a while to cheer up. Or something.

Also, I'm fitting every single room with the proper necessities (come on! Not a single cabinet or chest?), and I'm adding a statue as well due to the spacious 3x3 room design.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

You can remove them, They were just used to help build the waterfall system...so the stupid dwarves would actually build the walls on the corners.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2008, 05:22:00 am »

*Pokes the thread again..."  :o

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2008, 07:51:00 am »

I'd hate to think that my noble sacrifice in dying pointlessly in a freak waterfall reservoir accident is going to all be for nothing... any sign of the General on the boards? Or do we skip on to the next player?

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2008, 07:38:00 am »

I saw him a few days ago, passing on his turn over at the chasm fort, because he was already busy with a different succession fort (this one, presumably).

For what it's worth, there's nothing that says you have to  finish the entire year, if you don't mind ending your term early.  Maybe the dwarves could impeach you for some delightfully stupid reason.  I hear there's a nasty shortage of clear topaz  encrusted hoary marmot leather left low boots!  Some  noble might get very, very mad...

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2008, 05:58:00 am »

Pass on him if there is no word by tomorrow?
I think I'm after him and should be able to get a year done over the weekend.  :)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »

I hate skipping Valter, since he's already started, but it has been a very, very long time...

Kazindir, you have been re-elected leader!  Your room is that one over there.  The one with all the engravings of dogs in various states of dismemberment.  Enjoy!  XD

BTW, in the future, everyone will have a single week to play.  If you don't finish your year in that time, just submit what you managed to do, and we'll continue from that point.  After all, it seems sorta strange that every overseer reigns for exactly one year.  Keep in mind that the writing up portion can easily take longer than the actual playing.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

Hey. Sorry. Gimme a minute, I'll post the current map. I made it through... spring. Also, lots of bridge building.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2008, 04:39:00 pm »

Alright, here you go. Bit off a bit more than I could chew there   :(
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=224

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »

Excellent!  That means we won't lose your history.  Kazindir, it's all yours.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 11:14:32 pm by Keldor »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 70