Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 84474 times)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #735 on: March 14, 2009, 03:28:13 pm »

Say, Kazindir, would you mind taking your turn ahead of mine?  I just got control of Halltraded a day before Maggarg finished, and I really don't want to try to deal with two large succession forts at the same time! :D
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 16, 2009, 05:40:26 am »

I had to try to cope with the eternal halls as well.
Not nice.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 16, 2009, 09:23:42 am »

Say, Kazindir, would you mind taking your turn ahead of mine?  I just got control of Halltraded a day before Maggarg finished, and I really don't want to try to deal with two large succession forts at the same time! :D

Sure - I'm pretty busy this week but should be able to get started. :)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 17, 2009, 12:51:20 pm »

Great!  Hopefully I'll finish my Halltraded turn before you finish your Abbeyverse turn... ::)

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 17, 2009, 12:55:33 pm »

I don't know what Halltraded is like but I think thats a fairly safe bet.  ;)

Downloading now.

/edit Wait what am I doing, I already have the save from doing the map!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:57:27 pm by Kazindir »

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 22, 2009, 09:28:06 am »

1st Granite
Found a note from Keldor today, saying he's going to be busy for a year, have fun. He's nowhere to be found and Maggarg has grumpily slunk off somewhere again to splutter to himself in peace. Hmmpf.

The stockpiles are still as stuffed as ever, with enough food and drink to feed the fortress for about a decade stored near the kitchens. The butcheries are clogged up with discarded animal parts and there are still hndreds of unowned creatures wandering the halls. There is a massive gem window occupying most of the eastern end of the Abbey, the mechanics are complaining that half the floodgates are "stuck in the walls", whatever that means, and the Duchess Consort is shrieking about not only wanting an Adamantine door on her tomb but also two more nonspecific things made from adamantine. We still don't have any.

Dwarves keep grumbling about a lack of work as well. Seems so much effort was devoted to the Abbey that all else had been adandoned and forgotten, so when the current plans for the Abbey were completed no one had anything else to do.

10th Granite
A vile force of darkness has arrived! The marksdwarf squads seem to have vanished, we have a lot of close combat chamions but only a handful of marksdwarves now. The first 4 people to come and moan about no work were drafted as new marksdwarves - of course the complained about being employed as well - and everyone sent to the gates.
The area before the gate is still littered with decayed goblin corpses, battered armour and bent bolts from the last years so I don't know why the goblins think this year is going to be any different.

They are coming from the south again - the south wall should have battlements placed all along it really but no time for that now.

13th Granite
Crossbowgoblins, riding beak dogs. They're trading bolts outside the western Hopefully their aim will be rubbish, they are goblins. Half of the The marksdwarves have decided it's time for dinner and have headed off, leaving the champions behind the arena.

17th Granite
Some jaguar cubs were born in the main hallway earlier.
I've just approved a lot of new work orders so hopefully epople will stop moaning about the amount of work available. Also, the goblins are gone - no sign of the elves yet either.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 23, 2009, 02:50:17 pm »

Went for a walk outside today, not sure why, the sun was terrible. Anyway, the amount of goblin debris along the western road is colossal! Tonnes of slowly rusting iron poke out of huge heaps of decaying corpses - I wonder if that is why the elves never showed up?

Ordered a lot more trees to be felled to fuel the smelters and told the blacksmiths to get melting down all that goblin rubbish to reclaim the iron. The military could do with new equipment and half the guard still have only partial armour. Someone suggested the underworks of the Abbey could be expanded into nice rooms to take advantage of the waterfall (if it ever works), which sounds like an idea.

Full employment has been reached again, with dwarves picking through the debris, chopping trees, mining and building and a bone carver killed  kobold at the western gate. There are tonnes of bomes both in the bone hoard and lying around outside the walls, so he must have been rather keen for kobold bone.

1st Slate
The first day of the month and a metalsmith called Ilral has been taken by a fey mood.
There's a funny smell coming from the rubbish pit again and there is a large amount of freshly felled wood outside waiting to be picked up. It is both amazing and scary watching Vucar chop trees, for every log a peasant can haul she's felled about 5 more trees.

8th Slate
"Jools" just had the hammerer kill the Fortress Armourer for failing to make him some useless trifle.
I don't know who is going to make the armour now.

10th Slate
Dining rooms, bedrooms and storage, that is what will lie beneath the Abbey. I think we might need to find some more gold.

14th Slate
Duzudesh, "Smearskinned", a Golden Grate. Encrusted with fire opal, studded with gold, decorated with elephant and chimpanzee leather and encircled with bands of giant cave spider silk and candlenut, it is adorned with hanging rings of gold and turtle shell and menaces with spikes of turtle shell.

Ilral Astelvabok has been hailed as a legendary metalsmith!

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 24, 2009, 07:57:17 pm »

Today I learned something about bonecarving. Bone leggings might not sound a feasible idea but apparently they are perfectly servicable, according to one of the legendary bonecarvers anyway.

One of the new reruits had a tantrum today in the dungeon. For some reason she was singled out by the Duchess for 96days in prison for failing to create that blasted mythical adamantite door and hasn't been fed for most of the last week. I've told a random animal caretaker to stop taking care of animals (we have more than enough alredy, thanks very much) and start taking care of dwarves.

It's the second of Felsite and the Duchess Consort has given birth to a baby boy.

In celebration, I made some dog bone bolts. Ok, maybe I was going to do that anyway.

Vucar has made a start on the trees near the north gate, although there are still dozens of logs needing collecting by the west gate and little progress has been made on actually either making much charcoal or melting anything.

The mechanics have finally managed to free the floodgates from the wall. It took a lot of effort and a random cat decided to give birth on the stairs up which didn't help in the slightest, and one of the gates fell over dramatically, scoring a deep gash in the floor. It'll have to be resmoothed, although luckily no one was squashed.

One of the new recruits flew into a berserk rage, was arrested and imprisoned for a few days and has been released. I worry, he was supposed to be a marksdwarf but I think I'll add him to the champion squad so they can keep an eye on him. Berserkers are dangerous and not just for the goblins.

Haulers are having to take enormous detours round the mining tunnels in order to reach fresh diorite for the abbey, so Valter has headed off to dig a more direct route. Might just build a masons workshop down there as well, we'll be needing a lot of diorite doors as some point as well...hmm....unless we go for something non-diorite. I think we have about forty rock salt doors lying around unused somewhere.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 25, 2009, 11:05:05 pm »

Smearskinned?!  I don't even want to know where he came up with that name.  The King Consort says it reminds him of the Queen, skinning peasants and having blood smear all over.  I don't want to think about that either.

What do you mean floodgates stuck in the wall anyway?  And why do I think Endok was involved with that somehow?

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 26, 2009, 04:21:00 am »

They were all stuck in an open position and no matter how hard the levers were wiggled they didn't close again.

There was a fair bit of lever wiggling done by various enthusiastic mechanics and then I resorted to rebuilding the steps in and removing the floodgates to replace them. They removed ok (out of the wall!) but one of the floors became mysteriously unsmoothed in the process. (It was probably never smoothed in the first place though... ;) )
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:24:30 am by Kazindir »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 28, 2009, 10:15:23 am »

Ach, mechanics.
In my day...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 01, 2009, 10:39:40 am »

I was kind of expecting an april fools day update.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 02, 2009, 06:29:12 am »

Sorry.  :D

Things at the Abbey are ticking along, slowly but surely. No one has fallen into the pit yet despite the gaping holes in the sides littered with rock and leading tot he dank and soggy soil tunnels beneath the Abbey. Health and Safety would be most impressed, if the carp hadn't eaten the entire department before they reached the fortress.

A large amount of diorite flooring and walling is going on in an effort to make it much more habitable. The difference between water dripping from a soggy soil roof and a designed waterfall over through an honest stone roof is plainly obvious but for some reason next to impossible to explain to non-dwarves. They're so dense some times!

Currently the masons are refusing point blank to venture into Issha's Cavern to build a flight of stairs, even though Issha is still safely caged. We'd know about it if she wasn't, as the way things are at the moment she could wander almost straight into the main halls if she were free. But no, some of the masons even claim to have seen a shadowy figure messing about near the cage from the observation window. I despair sometimes, I really do.

At least my workshop is finally complete though. We seem to go through an awful lot of mechanisms and we has a large stockpile of microcline and sylvite lying around. Near useless for serious construction, servicable but horribly coloured. Goblins would never take a fortress with entirely baby-blue walls seriously. The stuff is perfectly good for mechanisms though.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 02, 2009, 10:31:59 am »

Dammit, where's my pipe!
Blasted upstart mechanic.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 02, 2009, 05:59:27 pm »

One of the guards gave birth to a baby girl today.
On the other end of the scale, the existing tomb complex is almost full, so plans for an extension have been drawn up. Proper resting places for the inhabitants is an essential for any mountainhome.

I've been stuck in a meeting with a bunch of farmers for over a week now. They're unhappy about the lack of farming work available, oblivious to the huge mounts of unprocessed food we already have. They didn't seem to like the idea of picking up masonry.

On the good side though, one of my cats gave birth to several kittens in the middle of the meeting room table.

11th Hematite and an elven diplomat has arrived.
Shortly after, the humans from Xakimong arrived as well with their wagons and far to the west, goblins have been spotted.

Keldor is somewhere in the mines doing something and I'm sure the pile of tobacco by Issha has shrunk a bit.

A champion Axesdwarf was slain by the goblins who managed to breach the western gate. They didn't make it past the arena though. Well, a beakdog did, making it to the inner moat but it was fleeing for it's life in the wrong direction, so I don't think that counts.

The leader of the new marksdwarf squad, , complained that she couldn't really get any good shots from the battlements of the western gate when the goblins were really close as to be almost underneath her. She might have a point actually, although I'm not sure why no one pointed this out before.

Unib, leader of the largest hammerdwarf squad also wants more tables and chairs in Nist Akath Yard, so the troops can eat there during sieges instead of having to go all the way to the main halls.

Endok proudly (and loudly) announced he wanted to be known as a stoneworker from now on.
I don't know why and I'm not going to ask.

One of the former farmers has withdrawn from society and locked himself into the Bonehoard.
The housing, dining and waterfall structures under the Abbey are slowly taking shape and some work has been done on the spire.

No one seems to know what the spire is actually supposed to look like but everyone agrees that leaving it open is not a good idea.

A vile force of darkness has arrived!
Again.
A horde of mounted crossbowgoblins near the Abbey, with some more down to the southwest. I hope the guard do better this time than they did last time.

An engineer gave birth to a beautiful baby girl today, up by the north gate. Amazing what looking at goblins can do.

The north gate has been sealed for now. Clearing the goblins if they don't leave themselves may prove harder than first thought as there is no protected spot to attack them from on the north side of the bridge, only on the south side. Which means that the goblins will have to be let in before they can be killed, possibly not the safest of plans.

Urist Dodokginon has grown to become a Hippo!

That really confused me when it was first announced.

It's the 4th of Sandstone and theres still been no sign of the dwarven caravan. I guess merchants aren't keen on running the battlefields and the goblin gauntlet.

The first horde of goblins from the south has been ably, if messily, dispatched by the champions, with another one that appears to have become all apathetic and are just milling around to the far south east of the swamps.

The farmer has reemerged, brandishing a very small hammer.

Sidnokgol, "Charriddles", a Magnetite Toy Hammer. Encruster with magnetite, studded with gold, decorated with cedar and candlenut and encircled with bands of magnetite, the object menaces with spike of magnetite and cave spider silk.
On the item is an image of a Kapok in giant cave spider silk.
On the item is an image of Blizzardjoined the Magnetite Flute in goblin bone.
On the item is an image of Orbrogue the Pigtail Mask in gold.

The King Consort has proclaimed him a legendary engraver. The dwarf has cracked, although making spikes out of cave spider silk is a good trick.

Pairs of goblins keep attacking the north gate before being driven off by the marksdwarves on top of the bridge. Between the new recruits atrocious aim and the raised bridge getting in the way, very few of them have actually died so far. The few that did were down to Bomrek - I'm fairly sure she hasnt missed in years.

Some new walls have been build near the bridge and great tower, restructuring a little to cover the various tunnel entrances to block off goblin access should the bridge be breached or lowered. The goblins have withdrawn just out of bolt range from the bridge now, so no one is firing in either direction today.

I hope the goblins don't think we have a shortage of bolts, or food for that matter. Between the Bonehoard and the food stockpiles we could keep this up for decades.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 70