Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 84387 times)

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #660 on: January 28, 2009, 12:08:24 pm »

Well, it looks like the last few rulers-to-be have all either died or vanished without a trace. According to the turn roster it looks like I'm next up so I'll have them declared dead and have a crack at the fortress after tea. :)

/edit Except that ddfd seems to be down.  >:(
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:05:34 pm by Kazindir »

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 28, 2009, 02:54:05 pm »

Looks like it's back up. ;)
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 28, 2009, 03:06:28 pm »

King Consort:

That old coot, what's his name?  Maggort?  Has been carrying on in the most irritating way.  Why, if my sweet tootsie were here, she'd skin him alive herself, nevermind getting her clothes bloody!  She was always so beautiful, the blood of the dissentors giving her face so radient a glow as she gracefully disembowled them.  Oh how I wish she were here!
Maggarg has complained about royalty today.
Maggarg has had someone mis-pronounce his name today.
Maggarg complained about that as well.
Maggarg has complained about young people today.

Also yey4activity.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 28, 2009, 03:33:35 pm »

Got it now. :)

Quote from: Journal of Kazari Limulkalan
1st Granite, 1066
The last three dwarves selected for Overseership of Kulettogum have met messy ends before they even began their task. Dresdor was killed during a goblin siege mere weeks ago, and both his successor and his successors successor are well overdue but have not been sighted since they headed off into the swamps to reach us. I suspect goblins or worse are to blame.

No one else wants to be Overseer so the job has fallen to the official Adminstrator - in other words, me. Why doesn't anyone want the role? I'm not sure but I'm fairly sure the insane King Consort who keeps muttering about his tootsie, or the Duchess Consort is keeps flying into rages over not having an Adamantine door installed in her tomb have something to do with it.

Some good news though, I'm going shopping!

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 28, 2009, 07:34:27 pm »

Grrgrgrgggrrgrggggrggrgfgrgfg. <- The sound of my pc trying to run this quickly.  :P

There were an awful lot (as in hundreds) of animals milling about freely again so I've ordered them all caged/butchered, which will hopefully help a great deal. I don't really expect the dwarves to get round to doing all that until towards the end of my year though.  ;)

Journal of Kazari Limulkalan

2st Granite, 1066

Duke Consort Jools has decreed that the sale of crossbows is to be prohibited. Fair enough.
As far as I know we weren't planning on selling any anyway, perhaps he is afraid people will use them to fire his large gems away?

3rd Granite
Decided to review the plans for the Abbey today. Discovered that the plans never actually got any further than the foundations, no one seems to know what is supposed to go where above ground. Hmmm.
The hole for sacrifices seems a bit small at least...

4th Granite
Bah. I finally get round to approving some masonry orders then the workshop supervisor tells me the mason has been possessed and has run off. He's claimed one fo the masonry workshops in the great tower.

9th Granite
Maggarg was hit on the head by a falling chunk of rock in the Abbey today. He's fine but has gone for a lie down after moaning at great length about miners today and how in his day collapses were unheard of.

14th Granite
Got trapped in the dining room for 3 hours today by a cow that stood in the doorway and refused to budge.

Also, The elves have arrived, bringing a diplomat with them. I guess he's just going to moan about trees, like he does every year.

I've ordered most of the unattended animals in the fortress to be rounded up and caged until they can be turning into nice pies.

22nd Granite
Goden has bought a pile of elvish booze and there is no sign of that diplomat. After a few days of lengthy meetings we've got some partial plans for the upper levels of the Abbey. Drawn up by a comittee of dwarves chosen by the time honoured tradition of grabbing whoever was in the dining room at the time, they call for an bigger sacrifical/suicide pit, waterfalls and viewing areas with golden bars. Sounds very grand. Maggarg has headed straight off to get digging.

24th Granite
Ambush! A group of goblins have jumped a blacksmith who was looting some of the battle debris beyond the west gate. The guard and on their way but I doubt they'll get there in time to save the blacksmith.

Ashrir and some of the other guards are tearing into the goblins now but the blacksmith and two wardogs have been killed. One of the marksdwarves on her way tot he walls spotted a child snatcher as well, although he'd already managed to get himself caught in a cage trap.

Avuz the mason has reemerged as well. He has created a magnificent is somewhat macabre rocksalt coffin called "Resiltakuth", the Comedic Chasm. Made from rocksalt it os encrusted with fire opal and encircled with bands of rocksalt, lead and pig tail. It is adorned with handing rings of rock salt and menaces with spikes of beak dog bone. Pn the item is three images, on of tower caps in beakdog bone, one of a purring maggot in goblin bones and one of a cacao tree in pig tail.

2nd Slate
A few more child snatchers and thieves have been spotted and chased off. Meanwhile the tax collector has demanded that he simply must have a rope reed bag in his office and Jools has decreed that floodgates shall not be exported, neither for any apparant reason. According to my records, we are currently not allowed to export cages, coins, bucklers, crossbows, floodgates, catapult parts or anything made from either lay pewter, electrum or adamantine.

3rd Slate
Gah, these constant ambushes are causing havoc with the work schedules! Another one today, discovered when they blundered into Endok's elephant traps by the south wall. There were still some of our champions hanging around at the western gate and they gave chase - the goblins quickly decided to leave so only one of them was killed. Even so, everyone felt obliged to down tools and go and gawp at the chase, and now they're running all over the swamps collecting bolts and discarded goblin chainmail!

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 29, 2009, 06:32:03 pm »

12th Slate, 1066
Someone has dumped a huge pile of rotting elephant chunks near the bottom of the main staircase to the living quarters. The smell is terrible and the Hammerer is not happy.

18th Slate
The Pit is looking quite deep now and some of the floors in the great tower have finally been removed for some of the alterations.

Unib found a goblin snatcher on the road west today as well and managed to boot it right over the pond. It was very impressive. According to our records that was her sixty-sixth goblin.

25nd Slate
Endok was running around today excitedly shouting about another elephant he's found.

9th Felsite
The Philosopher Omega has after long contemplation on the bridge decided that certain prices ins the shops need to be adjusted by small but specific amounts.

18th Felsite
We're completely out of logs! Luckily there seem to be a lot of newly grown trees along the road to the west, so I've sent out some of the military to patrol the area and ordered all the trees felled. Vucar, the legendary woodcutter, said he'd get right on it, right after he's finished with his drink, his meeting and possibly a nap.

6th Hematite
A child, Zulban, was taken by a fey mood today and has claimed a craftdwarfs workshop. She's claimed...hmm. Some rough fire opals, 16 elephant bones, crocodile leather, rocksalt, gneiss, and some palm, pine and willow logs.

12th Hematite
I think sunstones will do for the Abbey windows.

14th Hematite
The humans have arrived. I hope they don't get in the way and want to buy lots of food.

Argh, Unib reports that right on their heels is a horde of goblins, mounted on beakdogs! A woodcutter also reports seeing more goblins to the north, so I've ordered the north gate closed. The human caravan guards are fighting a running battle at the rear of the caravan so Unib and her squad have headed off to lend an axe.

The wagons have rolled through the western gate safely but quite a fierce battle is raging behind them between Unib, the remaining human caravan guards and the goblins. A several human merchants are galloping around the trees screaming in terror in their donkeys.

A pair of goblin beakdog riders have chased down one of the merchants and near killed his mule. It looks like he might escape alive though as the goblins have stopped to loot the mule.

15th Hematite
The goblins to the west have been slaughtered with no dwarven losses. The humans lost several guards and possibly a merchant or two and have decided they've had enough. Their wagons have just left the depot again, declaring it was far too dangerous here - I tried to point out that it was a damn sight safer underground in a platinum trade depot, behind 2 walls, the Foe Flusher and the Champions of Kulettogum than it was outside in the swamps with only goblins and carp for company but I don' think the liason was thinking straight.

Meanwhile the northern goblin horde is slowly approaching and the bridge still hasn't been raised. Hopefully the guard will get to the southern side of the bridge before the goblins come over.

A child has just told me her parents cat has died of old age, the first dwarven casualty of this siege.

Diary of Duke Stinthod Keskalmodul

Bloody peasants! The bridge still isn't raised, they've had DAYS to do it!
It's like I always say, if you want some done, do it yourself!

Erm, the Duke has just had a fit in the dining room and has gone striding off to close the bridge himself. At least Kib, one of the hammerdwarf squadleaders has made it to the bridge so he should be ok - I don't know where the rest of his squad is though.

Zulban has reappeared today as well, clutching a truely magnificent crown. Morale has soared as word spread, it is a true masterpiece both of craftsdwarfship but it celebrates dwarven might as well, bearing images of great leaders and heroic victories!

The Duke has returned, successful and in a much better mood - apparantly he managed to raide the bridge right before the first goblin crossed it, and their screams of rage have cheered him up no end. The military is massing behind the bridge now - whe they are ready we'll drop the bridge and take revenge for the watchdog they killed. And the childs cat. Maybe even for the humans if they're lucky.

16th Hematite

A whole three of the military have made it to behind the bridge, this may take a while.

In other news, the Duchess Consort has given birth to a baby girl which has guaranteed the Duke will remain happy for at least the rest of the week.

Also laid some new ramps in the Abbey and ordered a couple of floodgates and bucklers made to satisfy some noble demands. However with the siege and the current industrious looting taking place at the west gate I don't expect much to be done right now.

17th Hematite
Unib has got bored of waiting and has gone to bed. A second group of goblin beakdog riders has been spotted over the bridge so I guess we'll be waiting.

Goden Ostathsibrek, the trade (although he insists on calling himself the Deputy Trader still) has been reelected as mayor as well.

18th Hematite
The marksdwarves have discovered that if you're a good enough shot you can just about shoot the goblins from the top arch of the bridge over the river. So while they're waiting for the axedwarf squad to return they're taking potshots at the goblins trying to hide behind the bridge.

Garghdhhhdfsfd! More goblins have appeared to the west! All non-military dwarves have been ordered inside and the ones looting the battlfield have been drafted and ordered to come inside NOW. But they might not make it - most of them are peasants but Omega and a few of the more experienced craftsdwarves are out there as well.

19th  Hematite
Half of the champions are so exhausted after the last week that they can't be woken. Three of the looters have died and Omega was chased across hald the countryside before the goblins gave up, contenting themselves with killing his cat.

Ashrir has gone berserk, charging the goblin horde by herself, far ahead of the rest of the guards. She's entered a martial trance and has so scared the goblins that they're fleeing - and she is giving chase.

20th Hematite
Ashrir has calmed down and is now stood far along the road to the west, at the first battlefield of the beginning of the week. Most of the goblins have fled, with some killed or dying and one or two chasing a lone human merchant who for some reason is still loitering about.

The merchant as been saved and the goblin chasing him killed. The goblins tot he north have stopped hinding under the bridge and are now wandering aimlessly - hopefully they'll blunder into a trap or two before the military are repositioned.

A kobold thief was discovered by the guards as they moved back to the north bridge, he didn't last long. Also, I've just been told we've lost a masterwork by Inul Tishiserith. What it was or where it went I don't know, but I guess thats why it was lost.

Ah. On checking some records it seems he is a legendary bonecrafter. I guess someone shot a goblin with a masterwork bolt, missed and hit a wall or something. He is mildly irritated by the loss but he's made so many he doesn't really care.

25th Hematite
The siege is finally broken. Half of the goblins north fo the bridge have been killed and the rest driven off. several of the champions have been wounded and sent to get some rest but no further deaths at least.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 29, 2009, 08:23:16 pm »

My wonderful Masterpiece!  It's been lost!!!

What masterpiece?

I don't know!  I just know it's lost!  Gone forever!  Alas!

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 30, 2009, 07:42:36 am »

Our heroic Philosoher has struck an artful pose of despair on the bridge. :P

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 30, 2009, 11:17:12 am »

Sieges aren't whut they was when I were a lad.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 31, 2009, 03:13:36 pm »

28th Hematite
A section of the flooring in the Great Tower collapsed today. No idea why as no work was supposed to be happening there. The Duke Consort Jools was the only one present and is the only one wounded - nothing serious I think, a bashed leg and a bashed arm but he's unconcious at the moment. One of his pet jaguar cubs was killed unfortunately.

5th Malachite
The Duke requires a lay pewter throne in his bedroom. Luckily we seem to have some lay pewter in stock so that should be easy enough to sort out.

13th Malachite
Inul Tisiserith is create another masterwork bolt to replace the one mysteriously lost during the siege.

The mining works have turned up several new gem clusters - moss agates, fire opals and plume agates. We'll need to make some more windows I think.

4th Galena
Stukas the miner has been struck by a hammer trap!
He tried to tell Jools he'd found some borax.

5th Galena
There is now a nice big golden platform above the pit in the Abbey. The walls are now lines with sunstone windows and the sight is so impressive that even when the sun is shining brightly no one has vomited all over the Abbey for weeks.

18th Galena
Several years ago a colossus called Issha Neltiamec was captured and ever since it's been sitting, caged, behind the Foe Flusher. Endok ensures me it is perfectly secure but I have my doubts - how could a flimsy cacao cage stop a bronze colossus?

I've decided to rehouse it in a cave habitat along one of the waterways to the Abbey. That way it will be kept secure and we can sacrifice some of the many captive goblins to Gembish using the colossus and water from the Abbey which ultimately comes from the rain.

28th Galena
Slight problem with the Abbey, I've lost the plans for the roof and no one seems to know how the flying buttresses are actually supposed to connect with the building and support it. The Duke has demanded some coins and the first lay pewter item anyone spots, which isn't helping.

2nd Limestone
The dwarven caraven is expected soon and if the goblins are still feeling frisky there will be a siege as well. The north bridge has been ordered raised as a precaution, though whether anyone will do it before the Duke geta annoyed and does it himself again is anyones guess.

7th Limestone
Against all expectation, the northern bridge has been raised within a week!
Several cats have been found mysteriously dead.

A series of new windows have been installed about the place, making everything look a lot better. We seem to have an unlimited supply of sunstones, I'm not sure where they're all coming from, although we're running low on amethysts now.

9th Limestone
The dwarven caravan has been sighted!
I wonder what they will bring and I hope they want a new load of goblin rubbish.

12th Limestone
A vile force of darkness has arrived!
They're a little late though.

Looks to be about 80 beak dogriders, spread across the south. One of the groups look like crossbow-goblins, hopefully riding around of beakdogs will throw them off their aim.

The champions have charged out to kill the nearest of the groups that is following the west road before the others come into range and the marksdwarves are on the walls.

19th Limestone
The siege is broken and the river runs red with blood once more. The Champion Kib Ducimlid Ibruckmosus Or was felled by the goblins before they were driven off but his sacrifice ensured the destruction of four of the five goblin units. One of the legendary planters has volunteered to take his place in the unit and as we have enough stockpiled food to feed the fortress for the next several centuries I approved it.

Goden has bought a lot of spare steel armour and bolts from the dwarven caravan.

3rd Sandstone
Gah I think I'm going to need a hammer trap by my door as well. The miners keep coming in to tell me the roof of a tunnel under the river is damp - I know! It's under a river in a swamp, what are they expecting, magma?

11th Sandstone
Ashrir has become recognised as a legendary champion!

19th Sandstone
Dragonflies seem to swarm along the top fingers of the Abbey as the sun goes down. Maybe they like the windows as well?

1st Timber
Likot Betanstukos, a brewer, has been possessed in the foundations of the Abbey!
Which reminds me, at some point we should really build some better way of getting to the Abbey than wandering through the muddy foundations or skipping over the haunted ruins of the Cursed Bridge.

19th Timber
Fenokakil, a magnetite crown. Decorated with horse leather, encircled with bands of nickel silver and cave lobster shell and menacing with spikes of magnetite, yellow bullhead bone and pig tail. On the item is an image of Lolor Churchswords the dwarf and dwaves in fire opal. Lolor is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork related to the ascension of the dwarf Lolor Churchswords to leadership of the Rag of Suns in 831.
Also on the item is an image of Vabik Riddleposts the dwarf and dwarves in sunstone. Vabik is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the apppointment of the dwarf Vabik Riddleposts as a diplomat of the Rag of suns in 656.

3rd Moonstone
Winter has arrived.
Issha's cage is on it's way to the cavern and after several abortive attempts I think I've got the mechanisms lined up right to actually release it form a safe distance when the time is right.

There is a small observation room where the lever will be and where dwarves can hopefully watch Issha wander about in the cavern and eat goblins, although I'm sure the peasants will panic at the sight of it even though they're well out of reach and behind amethyst windows.

21st Moonstone
Work on the Abbey goes slowly but steadily. a lot of the time needed is actually just bringing up diorite from the depths of the mine, not the actual construction. The pumps in and out are all finshed and are running dry but until the Abbbe reaches a certain point adding water to the system would be a terrible idea.

The miners have found a couple of new veins of lignite and some more moss agates, so the smelters are busy producing coke for the forges. We've also restocked our wood supplies, felling most of the mature trees along the western road and the riverside.

3rd Opal
The Duke has demanded 3 more cages to be built. I don't know why and I didn't ask - we have hundred of cages already!

4th Opal
The Abbey buttresses are almost all complete now, with the two westernmost ones finally being joined over the roof today.The scaffolding has begun to be taken down. Hopefully a lot ofit will be diorite we can reuse on the Abbey itself.

7th Opal
Bomrek, the leaders of one of the marksdwarves squad gave birth to a baby boy today. It happened rather suddenly, she was on the stairs inside the triumphal arch, on the way to the statue garden at the top.

8th Opal
The remains of a demon rat were found today on the upper levels of the Abbey. Thats a bit ominous.

12th Opal
The new recruit for the military was mortally wounded by an axe in a sparring session today. So much for increasing the size of the squad.

27th Opal
The demon rat has finally been removed so construction can continue.
Several new platinum states have been hauled over to the Abbey as well to spruce the place up a bit. I think at some point a large flooring project will be needed as the ground floor is still the raw ground, covered in mud, grass, bushes and even the odd tree, but I'll be buggered if I can be bothered with that right now.

6th Obsidian
Mezbuth, one of our legendary miners has been taken by a fey mood in the middle of building a ramp. He's claimed a masons workshop in the great tower. I wonder what he's going to do and I wonder who is going to finish building that ramp.

13th Granite
What? There is an elf diplomat here, how long has he been hiding in the mines?

Oh dear.

I wondered why Maggarg was looking more peevish than usual.

It's the fault of that elf.

Sorry, it's the 13th of Granite, I missed the season change whilst randomly browsing whilst the epic amount of masonry that is the Abbey built itself. 2 sieges, an ambush, a lot of caging/slaughtering and a whole lot of building work. It's still chugging along at around 14fps for me despite the caging and the slaughtering wasn''t nearly as fast as I'd like it to be. We've got about 7k drink and 28k food as well, which probably isn't helping!

Anyway, the Abbey needs a lot more work if you are so inclined, as it;s nly got half a roof and other than the Pit and associated waterworks it is an empty shell. Although it's a pretty shell with windows. Also more levers have happened! Many more. So if you want to know what they do, read on...if not, don't. :)

Underneath the Great Tower is two little rooms joined by a staircase. There are three levers here, the abuse of which may well blow the Abbey apart and sent diorite shrapnel arcing through the air for miles.

From the staircase:

Lower Left Lever: attached to the gear assembly that links to the axle running to the east just SOUTH of the lever. This powers the pumps in the Great Tower which in turn are what makes water go through the Abbey and Issha's cavern.

Upper Left Lever: attached to the gear assembly that links to the axle running to the east just NORTH of the lever. This powers the pumps on the other side of the river that pump water out of Issha's cavern (which is filled from the Abbey). If you turn this off with the tower pumps on, Issha's cavern will flood. Then the Abbey will flood. Then the world will flood.

Right Lever: This is attached to a floodgate at the bottom of the Great Tower. It's closed at the moment and the riverbank needs channeling for water to flow in anyway.

In the main hall, where all the shops are, is a new corridor leading off to the north. At the end, upstairs, is a nice big room with bars and windows and levers and cages and pits. In theory, this is where you will be able to dump goblins down the pits.

There are 3 pits. South of each one is a nice big gem window, behind which is 2 levers.
For each, the left hand one opens a flood gate part way down the pit - this should flush goblins dropped down the pit into Issha's cavern.
The right hand one opens a hatch on the bottom of the water channel taking water from the Abbey's suicide pit. This will refill the cistern for that pit - although not if you've got the flood gate open as well of course.

!!WARNING!!

Yes, it's on fire.
the cavern needs a lot of staircases removing before it floods or any nasties are unleashed.

At the west end of the "river", the flights of stairs leading up to the floodgates and then up to the goblin disposal centre all need removing, otherwise the goblins will just walk out instead of plummeting to their watery colossus fueled doom.

At the east, where the pumps are, some grates or possibly just a wall in from of the bottom of the stairs s in order, to stop things leaving. It would be most unfortunate is the Colossus could just walk out of it's cave and into the main food/workshop area!

At the main waterchannels that run between the tower and the Abbey, there are still some holes in the walls. They'd be wanting fixing for the avoidance of self inflicted fortress wide water doom. :D

Finally...I don't know if it actually works. It might send water shooting in a fantastically huge arc out of the spouts in the Abbey and flood the place for all I know. So, I'm backing well away behind this thick rocksalt wall. Good luck. ;)

The save is slowly uploading now.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:16:57 pm by Kazindir »

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 31, 2009, 04:07:43 pm »

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 04:26:15 pm by Kazindir »

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 01, 2009, 06:33:29 am »

King Consort:

That poorly-bred overseer - Karazi? - just informed me that my great abbey nears completion.  But how could that be?  I can scarcely see the top of it from the courtyard!  It was meant to scrape the skys!  Oh, if but my sweet tootsie were here to properly punish these lazy workers!  Oh, tootsie dear, wait for me a while longer, for the abbey must be perfect.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 01, 2009, 10:06:31 am »

The Abbey with the current building work finished would make a nice vaulted basement. :p

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 01, 2009, 11:05:41 am »

The Diary of Maggarg, 11th Granite.
Oh damn.
Oh damn.
OH DAMN.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 01, 2009, 12:30:23 pm »

Dear diary.

Please remind me to check that the floodgates in the cisterns beneath the Goblin Disposal Centre are actually linked to the levers in the Centre.

Thank you.

- Kazari.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 70