Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 84404 times)

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2008, 09:16:00 am »

My daughter was born today, and what a glorious day it is for me.  Our first child will be a great leader one day, and she will learn much from this fortress.  However, the day is turned sour fast by the arrival of a goblin ambush, one goblin even reached inside our walls.  Before they could be driven off, a jeweler was killed and a child wounded.  We mourn our friend as we celebrate new life.

Construction of the mystery device is nearly complete.  I had to tear apart parts of the front fortification to make sure it doesn’t leak….I mean to make sure the construction is sound.  

Time to test our great creation.  It is a waterfall for our front entrance, complete with drainage system.  Surely this is a great addition to our home.

*Oops

Unfortunately, the system wasn’t sealed properly, and I am to blame for that.  We managed to disconnect the gear assembly before flooding anything more than the courtyard.  Unfortunately, Jools was swept away in the flood into the reservoir tank, and drown before we could reach him.  (For future reference, I’ve built a level to be hooked up to the disassembled gear assembly so if this happens again, it’s a one-lever pull fix.  Also, the lever inside the walls by the staircase is for the floodgate blocking off the northern part of the system, it can be disassembled)

I’ve decided to step down as manager so I can spend more time with my wife and daughter.  I will remain on as bookkeeper, as it is a steady job and an easy one to step away from for a moment.  I’ve ordered the leaks in the waterfall system sealed, and there are only a few more that need tending too.  Once that is finished, our grand waterfall can flow.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=178
I have no idea how to upload a map.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2008, 10:36:00 am »

Nice work! Is it all finished? Does the waterfall just work as an ornament, or wash awat besieging goblins?

Dwarf Fortress Map Archive - but first you need to export the images of every level, and then use SL's Map viewer to convert it, and then you need a login for DFMA... if you can't be bothered, I'll snag the save file later on and upload a map.

Elected to Mayor, then drowned in a freak accident resulting from a grand project breaking down? Well at least I led an interesting life... sign me up for the second round, I have a feeling some distant descendent of "Jools" Dodokkir wants to carry on the proud tradition of family members dying in crazy ways so that the salt may flow...

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

Abbeyverse map

Still mildly moist...

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

Well, based on where the grates are located, it *could* be used to wash away goblins, but not without modification and some way to dump them into carp-infested waters below the grates.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

I must warn whoever will be playing next, the drainage system furthest to the south is compromised because of the fact it's permanantly at 7/7, so you'll either have to find a way to block it off/redirect the water flow or deal with the map flooding.

Also, be careful after replacing the mechanism, water floods out of that little hole in the wall really fast.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

Jools, you're now added for the second round.

And now, let us all welcome our new leader, GeneralValter!

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2008, 05:35:00 am »

First Journal of Magnificent Overseer General Valter, 1st Granite 1053

I have decided to take a job at some enormous salt pit in the middle of no where. My research so far has revealed only that the landscape it is located in is bipolar, and there is an excess of carp.

Even with these eccentricities, though, this "fortress" may be the most normal job available to me for a while! My other choices were a giant tower built in the middle of a chasm, a religious stronghold known for its demon maiming talents, a prison camp for unscrupulous dwarven politicians, a museum collecting rare artifacts, and a fortress named "Glovebreakfast", which is enough reason for me not to go there already.

My term starts in two years. I shall get ready.
-----
Alright, the DFFD's not working for me at this moment. I'll download the save and start tonight.

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »

First Impression: There must be some kind of secret punctured lung club here, 'cause just about all my soldiers have mangled lungs. And there's about 10 other people with broken legs or arms or toes or what have you.

As I walked into the barracks to review the injured, one wrestler, for reasons which I could not discern, went insane and started attacking a nearby dwarf. Going berserk is not a good idea in the barracks. He was dealt with immediately, but he woke up the dwarves trying to rest in the barracks, and I fear they will have trouble getting back to sleep.

Drastic changes need to be made here. It's time to make this fort defensible.

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

Hammerdwarf training + Speardwarf training + bowgoblins == punctured lungs.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »

First update: Early work (Sorry there aren't any pictures. I'll try to get some for the next update)

"So, where are the defenses?" Valter asked the mechanic foreman. Well, technically he was the only mechanic in the outpost, but that still makes him foreman.

"Uh, you're standing on them."

"Hmmm. One row of weapon traps."

"A-Yup."

"And a raising bridge."

"A-Yup."

"...Is there any moat? Dig you dig out the space underneath the bridge?"

"A-Nope."

"Argh..."

As production foreman on this giant hunk of salt, I have noticed a rather large architectural failure on the part of the previous overseers. Here we have a rather nice settlement right next to a river, and yet our entrance points in the exact opposite of it! Once the river bridges are up, I will be destroying our current entrance and destroying it.

I ordered the woodcutters to knock down all the trees on the river-side and make room for paved roads, but alas, one has already fallen to the carp. The buggers are more dangerous than I initially thought.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2008, 03:03:00 am »

(The mechanic foreman isn't still Endok, is it?  He was always a halfwit...)

Keldor stormed into Valter's office.

"What do ye mean ye're goin' to build the main entrance on the river side of the fort?!  Don't ye know we here call it the Red River of Death??  That entrance be where it is for a reason.  Even if those damned carp won't be crawlin' out of the water to drag you in, there be giant crocodiles that will!"

XD couldn't resist

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2008, 03:55:00 am »

<The ghostly spirit of "Jools" Dodokkir appears, and hovers in the new overseer's office>

Beware the carp... beware the carp!

------------------

That said, if the carp stay in the river you *could* stay safe from them and, with a retractable bridge, dump goblins/ogres etc. in the water with them. And to be fair, the land side is no safer than the river - I lost count of the alligators that approached from that side...

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2008, 05:26:00 am »

Yeah, that's about the plan. If I can get walls on the sides of the bridge, the carp death frequency will go way down (I think). Walls can be used to support bridges, so if I build walls around them, I can make a bridge as long as I want to. I did this for my dwarven tournament entry.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2008, 07:52:00 am »

Question: Can you pump fish or do pumps act like grates in that regard?

EG with our carp filled river, can you pump water up into a tank which will then also fill up with carp, into which we throw...things. Or fall in. Or hold Extreme Fishing competitions. Or brick up the entrance to and never speak of again.  :)

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2008, 08:12:00 am »

Even if you can't pump into a tank, you can fill one below river level from the river, including carp, then close it off and drop things (goblins, titans, rivals for the position of Mayor) in... the impact of the drop making it a little easier for your pet carp to kill and eat them...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 70