Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 84391 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #540 on: November 19, 2008, 02:09:40 pm »

Er, um...
That's what I said.

the perfect crime, mwahahaha.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 20, 2008, 02:23:38 am »

Journal of Endok Monangbesmar:

1st Hematite, 1064:

The last few weeks have been quite exciting!  Finally, the fish caught by the carp trap have been brought to the main fortress for further taming!  Surely this calls for some sort of celebration!

It also turns out that these fish will be more difficult to train than I had originally envisioned.  My standard techniques have thus far made little progress, but I'm still confident that soon we may have these wondrous creatures swimming beside us in the swimming pool.  I have heard of the elves having such pools, "Koi Ponds" as they call them, so surely such a marvel is well within our capacity as dwarves.

Meanwhile, progress on the abbey is strong.  Valter estimates that the foundation excavation should be completed by the onset of the dry season, which will mean pleasant working conditions for the workers as they begin to lay the cornerstones of the great project.

Still, there are a couple problems to be solved.  First, there is a veritable network of tunnels weaving around the foundation pits.  Valter insisted that these be added after he got himself stranded a week or so ago and had to dig his way out.  The tunnels provide access to our workers as they dig, and later construct the foundation, but I fear that once completed, these tunnels will prove to be a perfect habitat for rats, as well as their larger kin, kobolds.  These aren't nearly as friendly as elephants or carp.  The second problem is how we will construct the great windows, for what abbey is complete without giant stained glass walls?  Alas, we do not have any known source of sand, and although there are indeed areas that remain unexplored, there is a very good chance that we will have no sand whatsoever within a reasonable distance.  Valter suggested that we use cut gems for the windows, and showed me how they might be worked to produce results of great beauty, but both of us have doubts as to how we might aquire such quantities of gems as will surely be required.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:47:05 am by Keldor »
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 20, 2008, 02:57:09 am »

Journal of Ustuth Elbellogem, King Consort:

6th Hematite, 1064:

That mere commoner, the so called "Mayor" Dresdor has gone to far!  He dares to imprison a dwarf who could be busy working on my Great Abbey to Rakust because she failed to meet some silly mandate for silver items!  If only my tootsie were here to- oh, what's that?  She was just one of the fortress guard, and not a worker?  Oh, well, carry on then.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 20, 2008, 03:34:20 am »

14th Hematite, 1064:

One of our clothiers has made the most marvelous mask!

It reminds me so much of my sweet tootsie.  I wonder if I should have them wear it at our next party?  Then again, it might be an insult to her memory.  Oh, but she would surely know whether it was a good idea!  But then if she were here to tell me, I wouldn't need the mask to remember her by.  Such conundrums do so make my poor dear head hurt so!  Perhaps I should ask that Omega, he seems a clever sort.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 20, 2008, 04:40:03 am »

Woohoo! A new Legendary Clothier! That's another ton/year of high-value trade goods we can churn out from effectively thin air. It might be the time to add another clothier's workshop...

Also last time I looked we had a ton of gems dug out from the strip-mining project - if you manage to get a bunch of those cut you should be able to make a fair few windows. No guarantee they'll all be the same colour though.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 20, 2008, 04:46:16 am »

Journal of Endok Monangbesmar

5th Malachite, 1064:

That duke consort has gone mad!  Today he ordered 10 hammerstrikes for the failure of our gemcutters to cut enough large gems!  Worse, it was not for lack of trying!  The hard work of our gemcutters revealed two large gems, and they have cut dozens of other normal sized ones as well.  Between him and the Duchess Consort's demands for adamantine, I dread to think how many dwarves will suffer for these rediculous demands!

Still, it has perhaps not been an all together bad month.  Things have been peaceful, with the exception of a couple kobold thieves and the arrival of the human caravan.  Also, the elf diplomat finally showed up, a full three months later than typical.  I hope that nothing is the matter with them, for I would not want to see a people so attuned with animals harmed.  Besides, they sometimes have some tips for taming diffucult beasts, and I still have had little luck with our carp.

Progress on the abbey goes well, despite Valter and a couple of the other miners falling down the foundation pits and having to dig their way out.  We have struck bedrock on the western side of the excavation, and may even be able to start laying the first stones by the end of the month.

Finally, Dresdor has managed to get himself re-elected as mayor.  I hope he doesn't start going insane as well.

((It appears that carp and other fish aren't tamable :-(  think we should add the tag in the raws, or just incorporate the fish into the abbey for the suicide drop?))
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:48:32 am by Keldor »

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 20, 2008, 05:15:46 am »

14th Malachite, 1064:

A minor catastrophe has struck!  While mining out the last bits of earth around the trench, Valter failed to notice that he was digging the last bits of earth supporting the small rise he was removing.  The said small mound promptly fell on top of him, knocking him out and causing some rather nasty scrapes.  Valter was back on his feet quickly enough, although he said that the incident did something to his lower back, and so he was going to bed to rest.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 20, 2008, 05:21:37 am »

15th Malachite, 1064:

Today marks a very important event!  The first stone of the foundation of the great abbey has been laid!  Let this date be remembered, that in generations to come our children will learn of it, that on the 15th of Malachite, 1064, the construction of the great abbey was at last truly begun!

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 20, 2008, 05:27:15 am »

((It appears that carp and other fish aren't tamable :-(  think we should add the tag in the raws, or just incorporate the fish into the abbey for the suicide drop?))

Suicide drop. We should keep it vanilla IMO and besides, tamed ferocious beasts like carp are silly, they should be a threat to all. :)

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 20, 2008, 08:20:30 am »

I'm with Kazindir. Dropping into a pool full of wild carp is a far more spectacular suicide than just jumping into a pit. Though retrieving the bodies might present a problem - perhaps some sort of system of traps and doors and pumps to re-trap all the carp and pump the water out so we can retrieve stuff?

Hooray for the Abbey's foundation stones being laid though. We need more bizarre large buildings... and, really some sort of 3D visualiser (my copy of 3Dwarf no longer works).

Also please feel free to kill off the Duke Consort if he becomes too annoying. I mean, 10 hammerstrikes for failing to meet a mandate that's only possible to meet by chance is a bit much... plus the fact that almost every large gem in the fortress is in one of his rooms...

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 20, 2008, 09:29:17 pm »

Maybe I should have him, along with the adamantine duchess consort go and see how they fare against the bronze colossus that just showed up...

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 20, 2008, 09:36:42 pm »

Jools, there's Lifevis which is the new version of 3Dwarf, has more stuff it can see (although still buggy and missing some models).

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 21, 2008, 04:10:47 am »

Cool! Cheers Grath, I shall hunt it down when the Abbey is done and there's a save file around.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 21, 2008, 06:25:48 am »

16th Malachite, 1064:

Apparently we partied too hard - A bronze colossus has come forth from the hills and is bearing down on the fortress!  I've ordered the west gate closed, but it appears that no one has the slightest idea where the lever to control it is.

Alas, the marksdwarves have not made it to the gatehouse in time!  The colossus has breached the outer wall and is heading south, away from anywhere our marksdwarves can fire from!

I've headed into the mines to take cover.  The surface is no place for dwarves without weapons now!

19th Malachite, 1064:

The colossus has fallen, struck down by Thob Olinmes Gecastthortith, second in command under Unib Tadzon Abalvakisttoltot Etnŕr, of goblin slaying fame.  The battle was the strongest show of force here at Abbeyverse since Kazindir's time, with our entire military, a couple of the royal guard, and even a tame cougar showing up to stop the animated statue's rage.

Armok himself must have smiled upon us, for we lost only a single dwarf that day.  May Atír Otadudil, Jools' Butler and Champion in the Royal Guard, who rushed out to face the monster the moment he heard the statue outside the Nist Akath Yard topple drink deeply in the halls of Armok!

Other casualties included three fine dogs, as well as a marksdwarf who recieved a broken elbow.

The remains of the colossus will be stood up outside the Nist Akath Yard, replacing the statue overturned with the overturner.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:27:33 am by Keldor »

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 21, 2008, 07:01:13 am »

About time the military pulled itself together!

I believe the lever for the western gate is under the (poorly named) Gears of War - next to one of the walls stopping the pumps from flooding everywhere.

Unless I destroyed it in a fit of overzealous construction of course. :)
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 70