Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 86810 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #435 on: September 30, 2008, 02:06:36 pm »

I'm so happy that Astesh the Accursed met a nasty end.
(I'm also glad it wasn't me)
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 30, 2008, 05:03:17 pm »

2nd Sandstone, 1062

Another kobold thief spotted, this time by a mechanic reloading a cage trap. Blasted things. I let the kobold escape - perhaps if I kept the military more active, it might ensure that fewer escaped with their lives.

Oddly, the kobold was discovered near the main entrance - it had passed several piles of crap dumped by dead goblins, caravan guards and the like outside the fortress. I wonder what was wrong with all that stuff... it's all perfectly good, we just haven't got round to stockpiling any of it yet.

5th Sandstone, 1062

Apparently, no potential migrants have even considered making the journey to such a "cursed death trap" as Kulettogum this season. This is good in my book - fewer rooms to dig and fill with stuff...

9th Sandstone, 1062

The Duchess wants green glass crap again. She may be good at talking to diplomats, but it seems is extraordinarily dense when it comes to noticing that the fortress has never made a single piece of any type of glass.

15th Sandstone, 1062

Joyous news! A child has been born to a wood burner! Meanwhile, my minions seem to be unable to understand that if an item is blocking a site, it is possible to move it so you can complete your job. Gah.

17th Sandstone, 1062

The newborn baby is for some reason drowning in the moat. I don't know how it got there. The mother remains ecstatic, even after its death.

Meanwhile the Tax Collector want bonobo leather items. I'm tempted to suggest something inappropriate to her, but I think I'd rather just take the safe route and order some crafts made... I might have to build a workshop and a dedicated bonobo leather stockpile somewhere though.

On a side note, Astesh's corpse is rotting in an open graveyard on the surface.

20th Sandstone, 1062

An initial test of some pumps for The Weather Project is going ahead. And who is testing it? An injured Mason is pulling the lever. He's got a bruised upper spine and a mangled left lung, and he's going round pulling levers. Great plan.

1st Moonstone, 1062

OOC: Doop de doo, stuff going on. Tower building, building up a tower of pumps, but it isn't exactly going smoothly. Stuff is annoyingly in the wrong place, I've retreated to just trying to pump water as high as possible, but from looking at other constructions, it looks like there are *much* simpler ways to get the power through a stack of pumps that the way I'm going with. Still, that's reasonably fitting. Meanwhile a key gear assembly isn't build because there's a Highwood Log in the way. Grrrr.

Woo! Planter in a fey mood!

BIC: We have struck Borax. This is a new one on me. I allowed the miner who reported it to get off without a beating this time.

3rd Moonstone, 1062

I just spotted a clothier (a recent migrant, not any of our skilled ones) coming out of the rooms that used to belong to Astesh. Specifically, the tomb. Carrying six dwarf bones. Claiming to be storing some item in a stockpile.

I'm having some more weapons forged and adding traps to my tomb. Nobody will be turning *me* into a totem and a stack of bolts.

11th Moonstone, 1062

The Planter has begun a mysterious construction. He's got two lumps of magnetite, rock salt, brown jaspers, two bolts of giant cave spider silk cloth, a mahogany log, two turtle shells and a cave lobster shell. I was half expecting to see a partridge in a pear tree, but if there is one it must be buried underneath all the other crap he's got in there.

Seriously, that's going to be some gaudy item. What happened to the grand old days of yore when an artifact was just a rock salt hatch cover decorated with rock salt?

Also I appear to have run out of logs. Looks like the barrel construction project has been successful enough for now. I'll start some logging going to ensure a supply for the future.

16th Moonstone, 1062

A magnetite flute. Decorated with turtle shell, encircled with bands of more magnetite, brown jasper, giant cave spider silk and cave lobster shell. It has spikes of mahogany and some images on it - five-pointed stars in magnetite, a rubber tree in rock salt, a dwarf in giant cave spider silk, and a cave spider silk head veil in turtle shell.

That's utterly rubbish. I can't use it and I can't sell it. At least I have another Legendary Stonecrafter out of the deal.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 01, 2008, 08:16:36 am »

Don't you see?  You play that fflute and that magnitite toy boat  will follow you.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #438 on: October 01, 2008, 03:19:21 pm »

Nice to know I've been a thorn in your sides for a very long time.  I half expected to die very violently a year after I was done playing.  After all, surviving to old age in Kulettogum?  Not possible.

Do we have any War Carp yet?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:17:08 pm by dresdor »

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 01, 2008, 05:30:02 pm »

Nah, you're safe, dresdor. Buried deep within the fortress, counting our wealth... unless there's some unplanned massive cave-in or accidental fortress flooding, you're safe. Your many years of training in the ancient and mystical arts of bookkeeping have left you Mighty, Very Agile and Superdwarvenly Tough, so I doubt that anything short of a tantrumming Champion will be a threat to you.

I must admit I completely forgot about the carp.

Oh yeah, and sign me up for the next round. Trying to do this this Weather Project thing was stupidly optimistic when I started, given how far the tower got, but goddammit I want to inflict some absurd, insane structure on a succession game.

Anyway, update (I'll do the save and map tomorrow morning):

12th Opal, 1062

The Duchess wants some nickel items. Good luck with those, and please don't ask for any more as that's the last of the nickel.

20th Opal, 1062

Nothing is happening. Oh, messages pop up about mandates ended and job items misplaced, but really, nothing's going on. Construction of, well, anything is painfully slow. The Weather Project is only struggling up to the height of the Foe Flusher, the Great Tower shot up a few floors but is now growing more slowly than a dead tree, and about the only stuff that is moving in is lumber from the tree felling areas.

4th Obsidian, 1062

We have another champion. This one is a Hammerdwarf in the Guard - and a former Potash Maker, proving that they can be turned in to something useful. Too useful for the Guard, in fact, but military re-organisation is beyond my remit as a civilian administrator. At least that's what the Captain of the Guard told me after barging in to my office and making dire threats involving my spleen and a carp. Maybe some other administrator can overrule him. Personally, I'm making sure that he stays on the *other* side of all my weapon traps.

10th Obsidian, 1062

I just cast my eye over the justice list. It seems that all the people I ordered punished have been dealt with. That's quite pleasing. Most of them are dead, which is less so. More coffins to fill, fewer people to make them. Speaking of which, I've opened a second new graveyard, just in case.

11th Obsidian, 1062

I'm adding an iron lid to the salt shaker tower. It should probably be stainless steel, but we don't have any of that, so I'm sticking to iron. When it gets rusty we can send criminals (i.e. anyone who upsets me) up the tower to deal with it.

24th Obsidian, 1062

A minion has been interrupted by a bonobo while loading a cage trap. In the interest of securing some more leather for the tax collector, I've activated him and sent him off to wrestle it to death. I really hope he doesn't die just to try and get the Tax Collector a brand new pair of leather trousers.

He made it. Sadly the corpse is about as far from the fortress as you can get on the south bank, so getting the leather might still incur casualties.

1st Granite, 1062

The time has come for a new administrator for this fortress. Not only is it the appointed time, but it is also an opportune time. Much wealth has been offered to to the Queen in the Mountainhomes, and rumours are abound that she might grace us with her presence in return.

Obviously it would be foolish to claim any responsibility for this fortress when she arrives, let alone actually be in charge at the time. I shall retreat behind my maul traps, or perhaps even down into my tomb behind the multi-weapon trap, and wait for the storm to blow over as I polish my collection of large gems. While much of my work is undone, it must remain so for a time - I fear that dark times are coming, and I shall not venture forth until safety is assured.

Though I might nip out if I hear the Tax Collector gets a new pair of bonobo leather trousers. That'd be worth seeing.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:32:41 pm by Jools »

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 02, 2008, 09:00:36 am »

Map

Save

Enjoy! I think it's Omega next.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 09:19:07 am by Jools »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 02, 2008, 10:10:00 am »

Presumably I was sitting in my hole, puffing away on a pipe whilst you were in charge.
Probably complaining about the dress.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 02, 2008, 11:04:14 am »

I think you were diligently digging, Maggarg. Mineral veins, stockpile room, murals and so on.

Oh yeah, Omega, you might want to re-designate the strip-mining thing on level 3. It's mostly designated already, except for a few crucial tiles, so the miners could get to any of the rest to start digging. This was done in the hope that the miners wouldn't spend all their time down there and would do the stuff I wanted instead, but you may want to re-prioritise.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 03, 2008, 07:50:16 am »

Ooh, the swimming pool looks fully engraved on the map now, very shiny. :)

Random question, anyone know if plants will grow on muddy masonry? Specifically, outdoor trees.
Just thought of another Cunning Plan idea that might be worth a try - if trees will grow on muddy floors, build a tower with a central staircase, flood the whole thing, drain, wait for trees to grow and then you can harvest trees on any given level without any trampling on other levels!

So, I charge someone to make a small patch of constructed masonry floor outdoors somewhere by the river and give it a quick flooding, so we can see what, if anything, grows there in the next few years!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 05, 2008, 04:16:13 am »

Well, at the very least, I know that muddy constructed floors work for farms, so you could have a farm tower...  Each level dedicated to a different crop...

Hmm.  Omega2 hasn't been on the forum for about a month.  I guess we'll see if he shows up or not.  Jools, did you PM him?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:18:44 am by Keldor »
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 05, 2008, 01:48:02 pm »

Nope, no PM from me.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 05, 2008, 04:28:56 pm »

Sorry, folks!

Couldn't get DF to run smoothly since the update that allowed the window sizes to be changed, and this particular fort was already running slow as hell back then. So I'll have to leave the list for now, or at least until I get my new iMac.  ;)

So yeah, call in the next vict-- err, administrator!
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #447 on: October 05, 2008, 05:38:28 pm »

I would like to sign up for another turn, I will be paying attention but please PM me when it's my turn

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 06, 2008, 03:48:14 pm »

This is strange... what is this letter I find?

What's this? An invitiation, to LEAD a mining expedition? Oh my, this is exciting! This should be very easy for a butcher like me. I bet it's beautiful and calm, with a nice brook to run through it, and everyone is happy there. Maybe even Goblins will come along to greet us, they love to do that here at the Mountain Homes! I shall set off immediatly!

OCC:Oh gosh, it's me...

Ok, I'll not be able to start it tonight, it's almost 10:00 where I am, and I need lots of sleep for tomorrow, plus I like sleeping. But as soon as I get in tomorrow, I'll get right on it!!!

And hopefully not kill everyone in the process...

1. Get there
2. Do a Crazy cool prodject
3. Make myself a tomb (It's needed!)
4. ...
5. PROFIT!!!
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 07, 2008, 05:09:30 am »

Making your own tomb should always be high on your list of things to do. It's both very dwarfy and in Kulettogum, highly practical. :D
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 70