Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 86870 times)

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #315 on: August 26, 2008, 02:35:59 pm »

I'll have my first update tomorrow, today was a bit messy.
That, and I forgot to save before I tried to view the stone stocks.

Nothing wrong with messy. Especially if it happens to be building-huge-and-pointless-but-cool-stuff messy.

And yeah, our stone stocks are probably a bit stupid now that we're pattern-mining a second z-level to dig out or expose every single rock wall on the level. However I'd be surprised if that crashed the game - I'm guessing it's probably just not responding while it counts everything. It might manage it if you leave it overnight...

...either that or we've dug out enough crap to cause an overflow error. Now *that* would be cool.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 26, 2008, 07:56:05 pm »

Should probably stop trying to mine entire levels so all walls are showing tbh, we've got lots of "stuff" as it is and I doubt all those rocks are helping the fps much. :)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 27, 2008, 01:00:55 am »

Erm... about those stone stocks- they take forever to loadd, but don't actually crassh.  Also, I might  have forbidden everything other than rock salt when I wwas rushing to finish the arch, and forgot to unforbid...

Wwant me to upload a save with the rocks claimed?
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 27, 2008, 03:05:22 am »

No, I can manage.
I just hope that I don't get sun-sickness when I go outside for the first time when my go is over.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 27, 2008, 03:35:05 am »

I have to say I like the principle of mining levels so that all walls are showing - it means we know exactly what we've got, and can dig out every little bit of wealth in the ground. Of course, it does slightly complicate one or two plans I have involving traps that deposit unwelcome elves goblins from a bridge at the top of the z axis to a spike-filled pit at the bottom of the z axis, but I'm sure I can work round it.

Oh, and I have another crazy plan for my turn (when it comes) as well. One construction project, one digging project. I probably won't finish either, but I should be able to get enough done that you can see what I'm doing. Besides, the construction project will be more of a meta-project to enable the construction of something truly epic, rather than an epic thing in itself.

I might even finish off the tower too.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 27, 2008, 04:24:03 am »

The Diary of Maggarg, somethingth of Obsidian 1060-something

I was running away from my last great failure ( The Great Sand Tunnels) when I fell over.
This isn't the most auspicious start to an entry, but bear with me. I had fallen over the tent-pegs of the King's hunting tent. The very same king who has made me give up my adventuring life to become a governor. However many times I bail and run away, the wily old bastard catches up with me.
Or I catch up with him by accident.
Anyway, I thought I was safe at the moment, but I forgot about his Legendary hearing, and as I tried to make good my escape, the old goat pinned me to a tree by my beard. I don't know how he moves so fast, or how he got to be so good with a bow. I digress. The king saunters up to me with a nasty grin on his face and tells me he's glad to see me.
He has just the job for me, apparently.
If this is just the job I want, why am I in the prison wagon?

1st GRANITE 1061
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHAHGAHGAHG
I'LL GET THAT KING IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO!
I'm in a giant, rambling fortress full of senile former rulers telling me what to do, right next to a river infested with CARP! The watery horror!
The place is HUGE as well! It's so big dwarves actually have to pay for things!
Oh god, there are nobles as well. I. Am. Dead.
There, it's out of my system. I'll just go around and meet a few dwarves.
Fist things first though, I'm slaughtering a few stray animals.
Filthy things.

2nd granite
Puppy for dinner lads! I do love the taste of meat after all these years of living on  plump helmets.

Anyway, the scant instructions left by the previous rulers tell me to finish the Secret Project, which is a bloody great arch, and the tax collector wants a bed in her dining room.
Personally, I suspect that she's too fat to get into her bedroom proper. Oh, it looks like it's already there. There are already wine stains and crumbs on it.
By Armok's beard, I just saw the pump mechanism for the pool. The axle is immense.
Perhaps I'll enjoy this more than I thought.

4th granite.
I was just walking into the Duke Consort's room to ask him about the day to day running of the fortress, and I was nearly killed by the weapon traps behind his door. He is clearly quite mad.
I decided that after we finish the arch I'm going to have the inner enclosure paved over.
It looks awful at the moment.

5th granite.
Finally found the room that's supposed to be mine. It's all yellow, and the only seats they had were  in microcline and orthoclase.
I hate gaudy rooms. I prefer the granite of my homeland. Ah, how I miss Mistthrones, with her waterfalls and great stone cliffs.
Blech, and the salt dust in the air here! I've taken to wearing a pig tail mask to keep it out.

6th granite.
Hmm. The presence of these carp is worrying.
I hear of a fort far away that has a machine that drains water at an astonishing rate.
They call it the Waterbore. Far too ambitious for me, and there was a dwarf in a bar somewhere that said
the Waterbore was cursed, and that it made storms and killed the land. The elvers hate it, but then, they hate everything we do. Blasted hippies.
It looks like the duchess recently had a baby girl. Gods, I'm not good at diaries, I'm having a drink.

9th granite
Finally got my rooms furnished with a bed and dinner table. Nice and simple, unlike some people.

Actually, I found some empty, unfinished rooms carved in the salt in the main housing thing.
In fact, I found out that quite a few of the former rulers have no tombs, no great relics to leave behind.
I found this appalling! I plan to dig out all the tombs I need for my precursors, and each shall be unique.!
Without tombs:
valter, miner
Omega, useless philosopher
Dresdor, useless quartermaster
My wonderful self

10th granite
Egad, are goblins attacking?
No. It's just all the captive goblins
Hmm, I might just make myself a cosy retreat in the hills with a little rum cache.

12th Granite
Asob Tostoslan has come of age today. At first, he wanted to go away to a big human city and play "music with rocks in" Sounds daft to me, music is just sound, and you can't haul rocks with that, I told him.
I gave him a nice hauling job when I said that.
Kids today, I mean, when I was a lad, I was happy with the sagas told from my grandad's knee.
Of course, that was back in the day...
(Here, his log breaks off into nostalgia and whining about young dwarves today.)
... And the elves arrived today. How I wish this place had a good ol' death trap.
Water tastes of rotting carp.

14th Granite
Hey, we have a waterfall here! Lovely, it'll remind me of home. *looks back at previous entries* Oh. Perhaps not. My tomb was dug out today, I see no reason to fill it that soon.

First update.
Nothing interesting happened so I had to babble a bit.
The dwarves seem to have an aversion to working on the arch :C.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 27, 2008, 04:38:39 am »

Nice start. And nice tomb. It appears we're neighbours, by the way. Keep the noise down or I'll have to go and have a chat with my friend the Hammerer.

Looking at the stockpile, I suggest barrels for all those cooked meals, so they don't get damaged by the swarms of puppies and dwarves walking all over them.

Oh, and the lack of work on the arch may be down to loads of masonry workshops kicking around the place, so anyone with the masonry labour on might be churning out rock blocks instead of building giant eternal monuments to my our glory.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 27, 2008, 04:53:29 am »

what is the carp trap for?
A trained carp army?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 27, 2008, 05:35:02 am »

Pet carp, I believe. I don't think we have the carp modded to be trainable for war.

Either way, dumping goblins into a carp-filled pool sounds like fun. And ideally making the carp non-hostile to dwarves.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 27, 2008, 05:59:04 am »

Shall I find a dwarf I don't like to train them?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 27, 2008, 06:40:15 am »

You've got carp already??!?

Send dresdor to train them. If you don't dislike him yet, you will as soon as the first caravan arrives and he suddenly decides to spend all his time eating, sleeping, drinking and attending parties instead of, say, trading.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 27, 2008, 06:48:31 am »

No, no carp yet, I'm anticipating.
Perhaps I should build a prison where the prisoners must man pumps all day or drown.
On second thoughts, dwarves would prefer to drown than lift a finger to save themselves.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 27, 2008, 09:12:33 am »

15th granite
The Green Party local MP arrived today (Aka, Elven diplomat) No doubt I'm going to have to put up with the silly tree demands and jokes about my height and beard.
17th granite
The construction goes well, if slowly, on the arch.
I decided to pave the central courtyard. No pretty patterns though, I don't hold with them.
Also, I wonder why we have all those cages.

20th granite.
Nothing is busy happening.
Nothing has cancelled Do Something : Doing nothing.
Jools wants Bucklers again, apparently. However, he did say something about a butler earlier, so I appointed a butler for him. Some old royal guard.

23rd Granite
Having my tomb engraved. I found out about the carp traps and the plan to tame carp.
I only found it out by some serious investigation. It seems they think I'll think
it's totally batshit crazy. It is. I like it.

24th granite.
I saw a small-useless-looking building tacked on to the wall.
I've ordered that it be turned into a watchtower.

28th granite
Actually, governing a giant fort isn't so hard.
Things just happen, which is nice. That king gave me an easy job.
Must be going senile.
Perhaps I'll take up smoking. I know a few dwarves that do, and apparently humans bring tobacco on caravans.

1st slate
Only another 3 walls and one floor slab before the Great Salt Arch is revealed.
Sort of.
Argh, what's that stink? Someone's been leaving dead animals at the bottom
of a staircase to rot! I knew that there would be a drawback to butchering all
the adorable baby animals. I feel like eating lunch.

2nd slate
I was just remembering the old burial customs of Mistthrones today.
When a dwarf died, he was buried in his room, and more often than not,
the room walled up.
Hah, I remember my father going to sleep and being walled up.
Old beggar was furious when he found out and had to batter his way out.
The poor dwarf who walled him in didn't show his face for a year.

4th Slate
Erush Zanoroddom is now a Champion. We held a small party in the statue hall,
then we let him go and wander around being a champion.

The Events of the Fifth of Slate, 1061

Maggarg Egenushrir was sitting at his dining table in the dark, tracing patterns
in the already thick dust when someone burst through the door, letting some light penetrate the dark, spartan interior of the Leader's rooms. It was Melbil Olontakuth, one of the masons working on the arch. He recoiled slightly at the damp, fusty smell.
"Yes, Mr Olontakuth?" The leader spoke first. The mason replied." We've finished the Grand arch sir! We're placing the golden statues on top of it now, sir. The shine of the gold and polished stone should atract traders and migrants for miles around!"
The old dwarf at the table waited a while before giving a response.
"It will also attract goblins and raiders, although we are well defended from them.
Personally, I find it ostentatious and vulgar, but I suppose I must please the
former rulers and the dwarves of this place. I shall stay here though, I dislike
the bright sun you get down here. You must remember I was born and grew up in a place where the sun was seldom seen. You may go back to celebrating."

Diary of Maggarg Egenushrir, 6th slate
Very little work done today or yesterday. The others were busy celebrating.
Can't say I blame them, even at mistthrones we celebrated architecture.
I have recently found out about a cousin of mine with the same first name as me.
Maggarg Brokenhaft, currently hiding out in Migrursut. No surprises, he was always a deviant, travelling the world like a human. I keep getting mistaken for him.
They sign me up to be a quester, or a quirky ruler, but get me. Better that way.
I shall lead them to sensibility and hard work.

(at this point, I can indeed see the FPS get better. I've slaughtered countless
stray animals and their remains are at the bottom of a pit, for the most part.)

9th slate
The Elven diplomat finally found me. Much to discuss, apparently.
About time, if it's that important.

10th slate
She finally got around to speaking to me. Again with the hundred trees.
Hell, I'll negotaiate with them. I only want to clear the courtyard.

11th slate.
The duchess likes querns, and the crazy consort likes bows. Ones with swivel things on the bottom so he can mount them on his desk and dining table, apparently.
Even odder than everywhere else, apart from that baroness with the rather peculiar fetish for gnomish flying helmets and celery sticks.

12th slate.
Idiots have arrived, despite the carp.
I drafted a few of them into the guards. I kept the rest of them as haulers
or crafting apprentices.
That old watch-house looks more menacng to me by the day.
Apparently, there is a well there, so a potential criminal could hide there,
or a goblin ambush could lurk.

14th slate
Perhaps I should organise a system to these guards.
Say, a large building with offices, a barracks, an archery room, all sorts of things.
But what to call it? We're a metropolis, so, um... The Metropolitan Guard!
We'll call the offices Nist Akath yard! Brilliant! I always knew I was a genius.
I'll build the place from salt, of course.
Of course, there must be offices, especially for the captain of the watch.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 27, 2008, 01:15:16 pm »

Sounds like a great idea, I need more room for armour stands.  ;D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 27, 2008, 01:52:12 pm »

Sounds like there's no such thing as too many.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 70