Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 86874 times)

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #300 on: August 21, 2008, 10:49:14 am »

Succession games are very much like buses. Slow, late (I'm probably the worst offender there), and full of weirdos. ;-P

Cool update! It seems the swimming pool might need a little more work, but everything else is going as normal (kittens everywhere, carp-related deaths, me stealing valuable stuff - just be grateful I stole the large gem rather than mandated it...).

Given our champion losses, can I suggest un-Royal-Guarding the new Champion and putting a peasant in his place? I'd rather have our good soldiers under our direct control....

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 22, 2008, 12:35:35 pm »

In case my go starts over the weekend, I'm in Chester until Monday, but I'm on a school holiday, so I should power through it.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 23, 2008, 10:08:41 am »

But, but, but the salt must flow, even to Chester! ;D

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 23, 2008, 11:58:41 am »

Love the updates... keep em going. I enjoy reading these topics a lot :D
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 26, 2008, 03:21:11 am »

It looks like I was safe.
*Again*

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 26, 2008, 05:35:26 am »

At last, the conclusion of the year 1060!

3rd Moonstone, 1060:

Winter comes, and Jools has mandated the construction of a buckler.  I wonder what he wants it for?  Ah well, this at least is one mandate we should have little problem fufilling.

7th Moonstone, 1060:

Besmar just emerged from his workshop holding the most marvelous mechanisms I have ever seen!  Alas, he has no idea how he made them.  I've attached a sketch so that the reader may also see the genious of these mechanisms.

11th Moonstone, 1060:

Today I awoke to a great rumbling.  I immediately ran down to see what the miners had collapsed, only to discover that they had all been on break since last night.  Heading outside, I climbed atop the wall, and then I saw it!  We have been visited by a titan!  The military has been activated, and everyone is to stay inside until this crisis is over.

13th Moonstone, 1060:

The Titan had almost reached the back gate when it sighted one of our horses that hadn't yet made it inside.  Giving a bellow of glee, it has given chase.  At least this gives the military more time to reach their posts, though I certainly hope that Kazindir doesn't decide to take the oppurtunity to take a break or a snooze or a drink.

15th Moonstone, 1060:

While the titan continues to chase our horse around and around outside the back gate, a kobold tried to sneak into the fortress.  Unfortunently for it, it's path took it straight into the alligator spawning grounds.  This should prove entertaining.

16th Moonstone, 1060:

The titan finally caught up to the horse, and pummeled it into the moat, nearly drowning itself as it dived in after the horse.  It then stomped through the back gate, where it was ambushed by Kazindir's squad at the stadium.  The skilled soldiers made short work of the titan, only suffering minor bruises and scratches in the process.

17th Moonstone, 1060:

While the miners insist that they are enlarging the bone stockpile, I think they are really just trying to make a maze to get themselves lost in, in case someone tells them to mine something important.

18th Moonstone, 1060:
Kogan Sazirbakust, one of our finest carpenters, was torn apart by alligators today.  Apparently he thought it would be a good idea to store the remains of the kobold they killed last week in a stockpile.  I've forbidden anyone from going near the place, since it's clear that common sense is lacking around here.

22nd Moonstone, 1060:

Our new underground trade depot has been completed, and is fully accessable by wagon and by foot.  No longer will a siege disrupt trading!  The new depot is built of pure gold, and embossed into the shape of the top of a salt shaker.

9th Opal, 1060:

A herd of cats was sighted today near the cursed bridge.  No one knows just what to make of this.

10th Obsidian, 1060:

The last two months have been quiet, allowing us to work on the secret project.  Nevertheless, I am worried that it won't quite be finished at the end of my term...

20th Obsidian, 1060:

As if dwarves ignoring my orders to make some electrum items for the tax collector weren't enough, she now demands that we put a bed in her dining room.  How odd.

1st Granite, 1061:

Alas, the secret project has not been finished in time for me to step down from leadership of Kulettögum.  I will advise my successor on the final steps for completion, for there only remains a couple weeks worth of work.  First, the construction is located in the outer courtyard.  It is an arch which spans over the road.  All that remains to be done is to finish the walls on the second to top level, and build the roof on the very top level.  Rock salt block production has been heavily boosted in the last month, so it won't be long before there are enough blocks to finish the job.  The construction will be named "Urdinronush Gňstangekurtorishrovod Etar", or Towerswept the Awe-inspiring Mighty Crown-Arch of Kings.

Map: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-3451-abbeyverse
Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=480
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:22:13 am by Keldor »
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 26, 2008, 06:20:01 am »

The best thing is, I won't be away again for quite a while :3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 26, 2008, 08:28:39 am »

Oh my.
This is a bigger challenge than I thought.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 26, 2008, 08:43:50 am »

No surrender!

It mostly runs itself really. There are plenty of trees around the the odd logging trip will keep everything ticking over fine and we have around eleventyzillion food anyway. With that done it's more about "improving" the fortress, either with actual improvements or huge projects, whilst fightnig the sporadic goblin hordes. :)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 26, 2008, 08:44:48 am »

Thank god, I'm used to intensive micromanaging
Time to pave the old enclosure and make a temple to the best god.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 26, 2008, 09:04:22 am »

BUTLER, damn you! I said I wanted a BUTLER, to spread my fox liver pate on my plump helmet biscuits!

I did not want a poncy little shield!

Gah.

I love the arch though. Very... triumphant. And all the other stuff, like making a bone stockpile big enough to fit everything that dies in this accursed place. Shame we couldn't capture the titan though. It would have been nice to have another megabeast pet looking for an owner.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 26, 2008, 09:21:56 am »

I shall promptly assign a butler for you.
And make him a buckler.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 26, 2008, 10:01:10 am »

BUTLER, damn you! I said I wanted a BUTLER, to spread my fox liver pate on my plump helmet biscuits!

I did not want a poncy little shield!

Gah.

I love the arch though. Very... triumphant. And all the other stuff, like making a bone stockpile big enough to fit everything that dies in this accursed place. Shame we couldn't capture the titan though. It would have been nice to have another megabeast pet looking for an owner.

You should have spoken more clearly then!

As for  the arch, would you believe that there's no dwarven word for victory whatsoever?

Oh, be careful with the trees for now - we're only just under the elven tree limit for last year, and I know Jools will want more pet jaguars.

One strange thing about this - the elves appeaar (in the civ screen at least) to count logs in the stocks screen  (including those made into buildings) rather than actual trees cut, so the  total is cumulitive, BUT, they will let us cut as many trees as we want, provided we use up the logs.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 10:05:16 am by Keldor »
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 26, 2008, 11:31:40 am »

As for  the arch, would you believe that there's no dwarven word for victory whatsoever?

That's brilliant. Losing is not just fun, it's all we can do, because we don't have the language to explain anything else.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 26, 2008, 02:05:11 pm »

I'll have my first update tomorrow, today was a bit messy.
That, and I forgot to save before I tried to view the stone stocks.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 70