Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 86866 times)

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #255 on: August 08, 2008, 05:27:18 am »

Could always have a marshalling ground south of the arena and south of the Tower (with a capital T). Those would keep them out of sight from beyond the gate/bridge and hopefully would avoid road related mishaps. Or just unzone the road as a high traffic area.

Not much that can be done about them fighting the spods firth though I think, other than try to get as many on site at the same time to kill the spods faster.

Sign me up for another turn by the way, if no one else does I might build a city between the two walls to fight in. It's a shame building destroyers can't destroy, well, buildings (like walls etc), really needs ruins. :D

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 08, 2008, 05:54:39 am »

I had a few vague plans - above-ground dwellings constructed from diorite or whatever else we have by the tonne from our excavations, build one layer of structures - units with shops in by the road, a few units with workshops in, some units effectively one-tile huts with beds in, then designate them all. Roof them over and repeat, but tiling over some squares that aren't rooms underneath, and not using all the building space afforded by flat rooves... should be suitably chaotic.

Oh, and I also wanted to build a couple of what would effectively be slides (floors, ramps, wide enough for wagons) off the Tower - one spiralling down outside the walls, collapsible, linked to the Tower by bridges above a Pit that was channelled out right down to the bottom layer (then filled with spikes), and then another slide going steeply down into the outer courtyard.

All that sounds far more construction than I will actually get done even if I put everyone but our planters, brewers, cooks and military on masonry work. So there'll probably be tons of stuff left to do.

Plus I believe that before the game comes to me, it goes to someone who promised us a period of creative decline...

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 08, 2008, 07:23:16 am »

Aye plenty of stuff that can be done - I have alternatives as well. :)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 09, 2008, 10:55:03 pm »

Well, the seige WAS going well this time, so naturally, DF crashed :-P  Anyway, for your amusement:

12th Limestone, 1060:

The goblins are attacking the merchants!  I've ordered the military to respond, but Kazindir tells me he needs to finish his dinner first.  Dwarves are getting killed in the meanwhile!  However, no one argues with Kazindir...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Upon hearing the death cries from outside out outer wall, the remainder of the caravan has turned to flee, despite already being safely within our walls!  They're running into a trap, but are too stubbern to listen to me!

13th Limestone, 1060:

The caravan has been utterly destroyed, and the survivors are fighting on with the goblins.  The only good news from this is that that one archer among them, the one that seems able to string and shoot three arrows at three different targets at a time, has run out of ammunition.  I've ordered Kazindir's squad, pending the completion of dinner of course, to charge forth and finish that group off.  After that, we'll have to see about dealing with all the other goblins.

I have discovered something that will inspire our troops to new levels of bravery, something that will, no matter what the present disposition of Kazindir is, inspire them to feats of individual valor.  It would appear that the merchants brought with them a selection of fine armor and weapons.

14th Limestone, 1060:

Zasit has proven himself a hero today, at least to some extent.  He struck the master archer goblin, Damsto Nakounzos Mogukrugbun ôsm, as I am told, so hard that not only did its bow go flying, but it went flying through the air at least five dwarf lengths!  Amazingly, the goblin survived the impact, but this didn't stop Zasit!  With a second strike, Damsto flew again one direction, his leg another.  This would be heroic indeed if Damsto still had any arrows left to defend itself with!

Apparently Kazindir's squad is not the only one motivated by new armor and weapons.  I have decided that should we ever need to rouse the military in a hurry, we need only load some armor into the catapult and let it fly into the ranks of goblins.

[At this point, DF crashed >.< ]
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 12, 2008, 07:01:08 am »

Doh, again. :)

Do you have seasonal autosaving turned on? Or do you have to redo the whole year?

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 12, 2008, 07:41:06 am »

I have seasonal on, AND a save from the beginning of the siege, since I had decided to call it a night at that point.  Still, this siege is proving frustrating to say the least...

For what it's worth, if I were to load the autosave, the siege most likely wouldn't happen, since they seem to be determined randomly along with the  merchants.  Thus we'll have a  recourse should those three elite archers prove too much (which they very well may!).  A second benifit to this would be managing  to give the merchants an offering, rather than having them all die, since I can't imagine a proper decline without the Queen somehow involved  ;D

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 12, 2008, 10:19:18 am »

Up to you which path you take to go ahead. I have to say that dealing with fewer elite archers would probably leave more of the fortress intact, which is no bad thing...

Also - I thought we had a King incoming, not a Queen... still, it's difficult to tell under those beards.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 13, 2008, 04:09:49 am »

It always says king, I believe.  However, our civ ruler is a queen, so I think that's what we'll actually get.

In any case, I'm going to try to get through the siege a couple more times...

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 13, 2008, 05:24:33 am »

12th Limestone, 1060:

The goblins are attacking the merchants!  Thankfully, most of them arrived safely within the walls.  I only hope that they have the sense to remain there until this siege is sorted out.

Alas, but the merchants are scattering and fleeing.  Straight into the waiting goblins outside the walls.

13th Limestone, 1060:

Whole the battle at the outer gate raged on, the goblins have taken the bridge!  Unfortunantly, I see little way to change this, as our military is currently scattered about looting the battlefield and killing random goblins.

Meanwhile, there is a scene of indescribable carnage at the back gate.

14th Limestone, 1060:

The second group of goblins is nearly to the main gate, and the military is still too busy pillaging to respond!  It looks like our foe flusher will be properly tested for the first time...

15th Limestone, 1060:

I cought some of our millitary returning inside before their squads were released from duty.  When I asked them what they were up to, they told me they were "on break"!!  Meanwhile, Zasit and a second champion are forced to fight an entire squad of goblins by themselves since no one else seems to feel like heading out there!  I think I will have a talk with Kazindir about shaving certain beards when this is over.

16th Limestone, 1060:

Kazindir has finally arrived on the scene!  Just in time to relieve poor Zasit and Unib

Due to our marksdwarves being too busy looting than to be bothered to guard the watch tower, the marksgoblins have slipped past and are encroaching on the back gate!  On the bright side, this happens to be the location of all of our pillaging dwarves, so hopefully they'll stop pillaging and start fighting.

17th Limestone, 1060:

A fierce fight is starting up outside the back gate.  However, the marksdwarves are too busy looking to even notice.  This is a big problem, given that the goblins are coming in greater and greater numbers, every one with bow and arrows.

The Fortress Guard are proving their worthlessness.  Caught in the battle only by virtue of their greed for loot, they flee like cowards the moment the goblins get close.  These are some of our finest champians too!

18th Limestone, 1060:

The goblins are fleeing!  We have won!  Alas, but it was a costly victory.  Among the dead is Kazindir shot through the heart and both lungs by a marksgoblin, as well as another champian and an axe lord.  Worse, we have many other wounded dwarves, and it is unclear how many will survive and how many more will die.  ((Also, we seem to have a flying goblin.  I might have to savescum anyway if it never falls and the siege flag stays with it :-P))

((Here's the problem - we have a floating goblin, likely from me saving midway through the siege (given the crash and complete defeat the last couple times...) while the goblin was presumably flying through the air after being propelled by someone's hammer.  This wouldn't necessarily be game-stopping, except that the siege flag seems to be stuck, probably because of that same goblin.  Any suggestions what to do now?  I have the save from the beginning of the siege, one in the middle, likely where the floating goblin got stuck, and one from after the siege.))
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:26:20 am by Keldor »

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 13, 2008, 07:59:18 am »

The same thing happened to The Eternal Halls Succession fort. They were forced to revert to the previous save..

You could try collapsing a floor onto it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:00:56 am by RavingManiac »
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 13, 2008, 08:37:58 am »

I'd go with the latest save that's free from levitating goblins, and play from there.

Oh, and maybe close some of the gates and fight one battle at a time... or even close all the gates and let the goblins get nice and close before our elite military charges at them. Or not bother charging them and just hide underground until they get bored and go away, or let merchants deal with them or something. Or even just hide inside our walls while constructing a long underground hallway full of weapon traps (only to be used for bowgoblins), then dig out a path that allows the goblins access into our fort via the Corridor of Death.

Basically, anything that helps keep our champions and Captain of the Guard alive...

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 13, 2008, 09:31:47 am »

Yeah, savescum and redo to remove the floating goblin and I'm not just saying that because Kazindir died again. I knew I had a nice tomb made for him for a reason. :D
That other fortress was doomed to perpetual sieging (until they savescummed to pre-floating-goblin), which meant they got no other ambushes, thieves, baby snatchers or sieges, which would be a bit dull.

If the marksdwarves insist on slacking off again, put them into squads on their own and station them each individually either on the overspan or arena tower - that way they'll only leave if they want to leave, rather than if they want to OR if their squad leader wants to. (Although in 1 dwarf squads I suppose they are squad leaders anyway.)

My squad is different of course, as thats all about style and timing... ;)

The west gate doesn't close and neither does the "gate" to the main keep. Although I doubt much would make it far into the Foe Flusher itself anyway as the rows of weapons traps were still there when I last looked. :)

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 13, 2008, 10:54:24 am »

Style and timing. That sums up that time I had with one of my ambushes, trying to both (a) wait for some of the rest of Kazindir's squad to turn up, so he wasn't fighting alone, and (b) get him in to combat before his booze levels dropped low enough that he decided to go and grab a beer instead of defending the fort.

Even if the west gate doesn't shut, the Foe Flusher is as good as a door, and the north gate over the bridge does shut, so if the goblins arrive on both sides of the river then it's easy to divide and conquer - first kill the goblins on the south side of the river, then marshal the troops and have them charging down from the high ground of the bridge just as the North Gate is opened... so it's still possible to reduce the number of fronts open by shutting the northern gate, or hide completely by withdrawing behind the Foe Flusher.

Or we could all hide in my tomb and let the goblins get massacred by the Iron Maul weapon traps by my door, built to deter suspected elf sympathisers and miners storming in to demand bridges  or report a pretty colour of stone.

Or draw the goblins in to the swimming pool, close the outlet, and turn the pumps on.

Or maybe, you know, build a door we can close...

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 13, 2008, 11:57:35 am »

There used to be an iron door just behind the trade depot, at the entrance to the fortress itself. However due to people banging it repeatedly with rock salt and it generally being in the way I had it dismantled.  :P

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 13, 2008, 12:18:37 pm »

Well, the group to the north is (naturally) the one group of goblins that is  no threat whatsoever, having nothing in the way of ranged weapons.  The two elite bowmen are a very serious problem, since they come with about ten other archers.

Another problem is that if you let the army outside, they all start running off to 'equip item' off the destroyed  caravan.  That's the only reason that we survived the bow goblins, I think, since the fortress and royal guards wanted some of the loot too, so there were quite a few experienced dwarves around the gate.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 70