Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 84482 times)

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2008, 06:31:30 pm »

Wow, I'd not quite realised the scale of the outer wall, very impressive. :)

In fact, so impressive I fear it might scare the goblins away! 

The huge swathe of dead vegetation from all the water accidents inside that wall though would probably do that anyway though.  :D

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2008, 08:19:31 pm »

Added Sheb and Aardvark to the turn list.  I also put Kazindir and I onto the list for the next round.

Oh, don't take Dresdor's table away until you have a good reason.  I think one should arrive in about 20 game days.  Taking the table can be his punishment for lollygaging about when he's supposed to be trading.>:-D

By the way, that huge mining project was barely started at the beginning of my turn - you see where the veins are mined out around the edge?  That's how far the mining was when I started - I just continued the pattern, all the way to the center of the map (but left the veins in - exploratory tunnels you see XD).  Took me a good 10 or 15 minutes to designate it all x_X

As for the outer wall, I realized after it was half built that it was designated more or less so that it enclosed all the areas that had already been partially logged.  So much for that  ::)

Oh yes, while Kazindir managed to be our first Champion, *I* hold the distinction of being our first (and still only, I believe) LEGENDARY FARMER!!!

Oh yes, one last thing - if Jools does well on his turn, we'll probably be ready to get a King or Queen in a year or two.  No final disaster would be complete without one. ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:23:46 pm by Keldor »
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2008, 04:29:21 pm »

No game progress yet but I have stuck some POIs on the map. Feel free to stick your own in to help or hinder understanding of what's going on. For instance, I'd love to know what that walled zigzag and bridge sticking out into the river are...

Oh yes, while Kazindir managed to be our first Champion, *I* hold the distinction of being our first (and still only, I believe) LEGENDARY FARMER!!!

Elf Sympathiser! Nature Lover! Hippy! I've got my eye on you... one wrong move and I'll report you to the McUrist Committe on UnDwarven Activities! ;-P

Oh yeah, and I had another bright idea (like the tower, but worse). What this fortress needs is to get connected with the mountainhomes! A high-volume trade route to get the salt out, and wealth in! We need... a highway! Or possibly a railroad. Or a monorail, they sound quite cool. Anyway, a linked series of reasonably high-above-ground bridgesacting as a transport system across the map, with on-ramps and spaghetti junctions and everything. Especially one big lever to retract all the bridges if the goblins come, or somebody fails to pay the toll.

Anyway. I shall try and get a month or so played tomorrow.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2008, 08:25:27 pm »

Hello, hello!

Are there any slots open? I've been lurking around for the last two weeks and I want to try my hand at a big fort, since mine rarely go past 60 dwarves due to a combination of boredom and extreme bad luck at choosing starting mineral-rich locations. Plus, vacations started yesterday so I should have plenty of time to play and write.

Can I join the fun?  ;D
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2008, 04:45:44 am »

Sure!  There's always room for another leader, provided that Jools doesn't turn the fortress into a carp infested pile of rubble first;D

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2008, 04:58:13 am »

I'd like to have a go at horrible death by nibbling.
I've never managed a fort beyond 70 dwarves, and rarely beyond 30.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2008, 05:18:19 am »

Welcome to the fresh mea new players! ;-D

Sure!  There's always room for another leader, provided that Jools doesn't turn the fortress into a carp infested pile of rubble first;D

I'll try and keep it largely intact. But somehow, in some way, I aim to get some carp into that cistern... I think we'd better pray we never need to use it.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2008, 06:02:14 am »

Welcome to the fresh mea new players! ;-D

I'll try and keep it largely intact. But somehow, in some way, I aim to get some carp into that cistern... I think we'd better pray we never need to use it.

Hrmm... I guess you could dig a channel, add cage traps, then flood it, then, once the carp are caught, close the floodgate, pump out the channel, retrieve the caged carp, and release it back into the cistern...  Could be tricky.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2008, 06:14:52 am »

How well would the dwarves of Kulettögum receive a leader obsessed with pretty patterns on floors and over-ambitious building projects?
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2008, 06:29:16 am »

How well would the dwarves of Kulettögum receive a leader obsessed with pretty patterns on floors and over-ambitious building projects?

They'd be grateful that at least he wasn't making them wage war on carp or anything. ;-D

Seriously, I think that the threat from our environment is fairly low these days (words guaranteed to draw a colossus or seven), so go ahead - build anything nuts that you can think of. I do.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2008, 06:54:34 am »

▂▃▄▅▆▇┋∖ …
▂▃▄▅▆▇██████┋ ₀∖⋰∷⋅
╭╮  /\  ╽   ╆      ┋₀⁰|∶∴⋱
╰╮ /▔\  ┖╾▂▃▄▅▆┋⁰/∶ ‧ ⋱∵∶
╰╯▂▃▄▅▆▇█████┋/ ⋱‧ ⋮ ∷⋯․

Well... so much for making it browser safe :-P
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 03:34:59 am by Keldor »

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2008, 07:36:46 am »

If anything we have more traps and defended entrances than are likely to be taken by goblins.

Carp catching:
On the first Z level down, in the little room with the stairs, there is (was, should still be, hopefully :D ) a lever.

Where the pond inside the walls is, if you follow it east a bit outside the walls (past the grate), just to the north in the channel that is full of carp there is actually a floodgate. (Was, should still be, hopefully. :D )

The lever and the gate are linked (were...etc) so if you close that flood gate and empty the cistern over the gate, the pump tower will refill the cistern by draining top level of the pond. (Without, incidentally, affecting the well! Damn Endok is good. :P ) That'll leave the little bit of channel between the grat and the floodgate also dry (or down to 1/7 water at least) where you can put some carp catching cages - there is even already a flight of stairs there, after a mason got himself trapped in the channel after installing the grate. :)

In theory, anyway. :)

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2008, 07:46:45 am »

Hooray!  :D

I just hope my computer won't die trying to calculate the carp onslaught!  :P
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2008, 02:46:31 pm »

The Journal of Erush Crestwork, 9th Galena, 1057

Family. Can't live with them, can't get away from them - not in the Mountainhomes where everyone is related to everyone else. Despite wanting to be a marksdwarf, and showing a talent for it, no, I have to go and be an apprentice for my uncle Urist as a Mason. For FOURTEEN YEARS. As my friends went off seeking adventure and glory, or off founding new forts, all I got was more rock-fetching errands. And frequently sent back to go and pick a "more auspicious" rock from the quarry.

However, that part of my life is over, for news has reached us of a death in the family. Dodok Dodokkir, more lately known as "Jools", the estranged husband of my fourth cousin, twice removed (the shortest way of expressing our family links, although by no means the only one), has died in a distant fortress called Abbeyverse. Little is known other than that he was acting as trader for what was at the time an up-and-coming fortress looking to make a name for itself in the salt trade, and it is claimed that his death was an accident.

I have sworn to investigate this death, and if appropriate, seek vengeance for the death of this loyal family member. My family are a little unsettled by this, preferring just to pay him the lip service of a brief mourning period, and then continue life as before. I, however, feel that I should make a stand for the family honour; I should strike a blow for Justice should that be necessary; I must not just honour my relative's name in death, but take his place in this noble endeavour, and ensure that our family name is at the forefront of those driving forward this brave new fortress.

Most importantly, I should get the hell away from people who see me as nothing more than a handy rock-fetcher, who think my greatest ambitions should be no more than a brand new pair of -pig tail socks-.

There's some sort of big party planned tonight - the few members of family I get on with, and hordes that I don't, will be gathering together tonight - officially as some sort of send-off for me, although practically I know that that means four hours of haranguing by the elder members of the family on "why you shouldn't go", and "why can't you be more like your second cousin Meng, he's not always so difficult like you are", and "oh won't you be disappointing your third cousin once removed Bomrek, isn't that a pretty dress she's wearing, oh now look you've made her cry...".

I have diplomatically failed to mention to anyone that I leave this morning. To Abbeyverse, and beyond!

25th Galena, 1057

I have arrived at Abbeyverse. I must confess to telling a little white lie. Well, actually, it's more of a whopping great bloodstained whale of a lie, blacker than a demon's heart and more tainted by corruption than an elf-lover. I made up a title - "Count Consort", whatever the hell that means, and when I arrived at Abbeyverse, loudly announced my arrival, ordered a few people to run around pointlessly making floodgates, and then threw a tantrum because no rooms fit for someone of my (claimed) status had been assigned to me. I think they fell for it. Allegedly some vast strip-mining project has been put on hold in order to try and satisfy my outlandish desires.

From what little I've learned since my arrival, it could be worse. The Countess here has an obsession with querns, and we have a giant incomplete rock salt tower that nobody knows the purpose of. But they're still building it. I must come up with some outlandish construction schemes of my own to keep them busy while I investigate my relative's death - and, more importantly, make a name for myself.

A new name, in fact. My current one might be recognised, should word of this fortress and its inhabitants spread; so, as a means of respect for my late relative (and a good excuse should I be unmasked as not of noble birth) I shall take the nickname "Jools", and go by this in all future formal documents.

26th Galena, 1057

I'v been tempted to run round changing everyone's job arrangements like I've seen a few nobles do in the past, but I think that's pushing it too far. By being reasonable, hopefully I can make some connections in this fortress, and hell, one or two things might even get done. I can always fiddle with job assignments if something isn't getting done.

As a start, I've ordered some more stills and kitchens to be constructed, so we can brew and cook more of our food. That's never an unpopular decision.

And after I've just made those orders, I get practically swarmed by dwarves begging me to make more orders. They want more chains for the justice system, more coins, mercy, justice, food, booze, hell, even donkeys. Sounds like they think I'll be a soft touch. I responded by loudly annopuncing that I would be dining with the Hammerer until I had my own quarters, and would expect satisfactory progress reports every mealtime.

That made them back off a bit.

I've also discovered that our forges lie idle. Now this may be a fortress founded on rock salt, but by the beard of Gembish Sealpaddles, dwarves ought to have spines of iron. I'll see what I can do with regards to getting some metal stuff made. Maybe I can even clad my room in some fancy metal...

28th Galena, 1057

I've noticed the same few faces acting as guards for this place. After some subtle investigation, it appears we only have two Royal Guards and three fortress guards, where we ought to have 6 and 13 respectively. I shall pretend not to notice this for a week or two, like a normal unobservant noble, then correct the matter with the judicious drafting of some peasants. Wouldn't do to weaken our military, after all... I'll make them  all speardwarves in leather armour - hopefully that should keep the Countess happy without me having to meet her. After all, I'm meant to be married to her, but as soon as I meet up with her I'm bound to unmask myself as not of noble birth by calling a napkin a serviette or using the wrong piece of cutlery or something.

<Later that day>

Hammerdwarves, not speardwarves. We've got hammers. And I'll put a rush job in for leather armour and bucklers, as well as those fetching leather trousers I ordered for myself.

I'm faced with a bit of a quandary as well - drafting peasants to fill the Guard will leave us with very few dedicated haulers... perhaps there are some dissatisfied professionals who'd appreciate a change of scenery. For instance, we have a Grower who claims the title of "Goblin Snatcher Snatcher" - perhaps he'd be more at home as a guard...

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2008, 03:19:01 pm »

If anything we have more traps and defended entrances than are likely to be taken by goblins.

Carp catching:
On the first Z level down, in the little room with the stairs, there is (was, should still be, hopefully :D ) a lever.

Where the pond inside the walls is, if you follow it east a bit outside the walls (past the grate), just to the north in the channel that is full of carp there is actually a floodgate. (Was, should still be, hopefully. :D )

The lever and the gate are linked (were...etc) so if you close that flood gate and empty the cistern over the gate, the pump tower will refill the cistern by draining top level of the pond. (Without, incidentally, affecting the well! Damn Endok is good. :P ) That'll leave the little bit of channel between the grat and the floodgate also dry (or down to 1/7 water at least) where you can put some carp catching cages - there is even already a flight of stairs there, after a mason got himself trapped in the channel after installing the grate. :)

In theory, anyway. :)

You want me to *use* the Foe Flusher? That's *so* going to backfire horribly... it'll have to wait until the Elves come. Let them in, seize all they have, send them packing, pull the lever.

Which means we're going to need a manual lever for the Foe Flusher...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 70