Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Skyseal! (4 player Bloodline game, recruiting.)  (Read 1952 times)

Stormlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skyseal! (4 player Bloodline game, recruiting.)
« on: June 11, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »

Long have the dwarven people toiled beneath the earth, and within mountains, away from the light of the sun that others bask in so freely. Until one day, a plan came to a mechanic. He would cover the sky in glass, and live within a fortress in the sky amongst the greatest dwarves. Was he insane, or genius? Only history would tell.

Skyseal will be a bloodline fort with 2 long term goals: Construct a roof of glass over the entire sky, and a royal palace just beneath it, supported by a glass tower as high as can be made. The other goal, will be to prevent the filthy humans and elves from discovering this secret project, by making sure none of them leave alive after the tower is over 4 stories high.

The area I've selected is a 2x3 area across a cliff, with magma, red sand, and HFS. There is marble for flux, but likely little iron to be mined. There is no water.

I'm looking for 3 other (Preferably at least somewhat experienced, but primarily people with the time to spend on this) people to share this project with. Turns will be 1 year, and if someone can't complete their turn within a week they'll be replaced by a new recruit. No automated traps are to be used, with the exception of some cage traps for megabeast capture; only traps triggered by levers are allowed. Aside from this, there are no specific goals, I want this to be fairly open ended. Goblin-elf arenas, giant silver roads paving the landscape, engraving the entire cliffside, do whatevers oddities you want, just try to add at least a floor or two to the tower each year. In the long term, I'm envisioning a giant glass palace filled with masterwork furniture 20 z levels above the lesser dwarves who've immigrated to witness our glory.

So, who wants in? Pick out some skills and equipment and a name for the dwarf you want to represent you so I can get this baby started. There'll only 4 of us so I'll set up the last 3 with whatever we're missing. You can request a second dwarf's skills if you'd rather that than some equipment.

Cast so far:

Demos - Leader, mechanic and engraver.
Sav   - Glass Chief -2nd turn
Vuntic- Seige Mechanic, in charge of the future dwarven death ray corps.
Dain  - Mining Chief -3rd turn
???   - Slot open. -4th turn

Subject to change pending last dwarf's arrival:
Myra  - Head chef and Booze mistress, to keep us afloat in truly decadent meals. Possibly mason as well if that doesn't get filled.
Ayla  - Grower, carpenter, and lumberjack.

[ June 12, 2008: Message edited by: Stormlock ]

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Re: Skyseal! (4 player Bloodline game, recruiting.)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

Gnaaaaaah

A 20 z-level tower of glass, supporting a full fortress in the air and a roof covering the whole map?

Good lord.

I'd love to sign up, but there's no freaking way that I wouldn't bollocks that up somehow.

Stormlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

Not a full fortress in the air, just all the rooms for the important dwarves. Namely, the 4 of us and the king. Of course, it'll be quite a while before we get that far along.

But yeah, doing the tower and roof while killing off all non dwarven creatures to arrive on the map is a big task in and of itself, so I'm looking for people who have some experience making needlessly elaborate structures. I haven't designed the tower yet, but I think something along the lines of a 7x7 tower with internal ramps and fortifications as walls. Should double as one hellish anti goblin sniping tower once it gets to the 10+ floors stage.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

My most ambitious projects are magma forges and pump towers connected to aquaducts.  I dunno.   I could do it but my fortresses tend to die around year five in big tantrum spirals.

On the goblin sniping thing, don't dwarf firing ranges  act as spheres?  I mean, being more than a few Z-levels up starts to decrease their effective range on the ground level, I thought.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

I'd like to join, I think.

*reads full first post*

EDIT: Hmn. I do have experience, but I'm not sure if I could create something as grand you seem to want it. So: I would really like to join, but you shouldn't count on me to start anything grand. I could gladly finish something laid out, though.

HFS? Is that Hidden Fun Stuff? Does the fact that you used "HFS" mean that utils like Dwarf Foreman are out of the question?

Also, note that I don't really check the forums regularly, so I may or may not remember to check this thread. If I forget and am needed, leave me a note on my wiki talk page. That, I check highly regularly.

[ June 11, 2008: Message edited by: Savok ]

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Stormlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 04:27:00 pm »

I don't mind dwarf foreman or whatever, as long as it's not outright cheaty. If you want the children collecting sand or something go for it.

Also, you don't have to make anything amazingly grand. The tower is just going to be the same floor repeated a lot for the most part, and if you don't feel like making your own private obsidian palace once we reach the sky you don't have to. I'll probably do most of the actual ceiling myself with the hotkey program.

I'm mostly looking for people who want to create some impressive stuff aside from the tower and roof. It's not as much fun making a giant glass tower and palace if nobody else is going to share the map with you.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 10:44:00 pm »

Sounds great.

My dwarf shall be the Glass Chief, "Sav," who has proficient glassmaking and creates glass, mostly green blocks, whenever awake and willing. I suggest that stone/metal/wood be not used for that which glass can be made out of for most things. No equipment needed for him, but, if we plan to have magma for anything but fuel, we should bring a healthy supply of bauxite.

If I still get another dwarf to choose, I would go with the Chief Engineer, "Vuntic," who has proficient siege engineer and mechanic. He would train siege engineering until he produced enough masterpiece ballista parts (along with a few high-quality catapult parts, for operator training) that the Dwarven Death Ray could be assembled. On average, it takes 313 wood to get nine masterful parts, starting at proficient.

More questions, though:
1: Are things like using Tweak to effectively mine out/fill back up the outmost layer of tiles acceptable? (it bugs me that if I want to level a tiny bit of cliff on the map edge I can't remove that remaining wall, as an example)
2: [ECONOMY:NO] or [ECONOMY:YES]?
3: Is the wanton murder of disliked dwarves acceptable? For me, this means pet-bearing immigrants and foolish nobles who mandate the wrong thing.
4: Are boozecooking and recruit/dismiss-to-get-off-break ok?
5: Is using reveal to find ore veins (and then killing dwarfort.exe and reloading so that the map doesn't stay revealed) permitted? Personally, mining tunnels are annoying.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 10:45:00 pm »

You should build a path built on the outside of the tower with hidey-holes and other stuff for the caravans to go up to the top, where the trade depot is, then make some devious trap to kill the humans and elves.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:54:00 am »

Could I join up? I have had a bit of experience with both story telling and glass constructions.  e.g. Tragedy at Oldtrumpet + Map of Oldtrumpet

Oh and I do have a lot of time on my hands.

As for my character, make him a miner, name him 'Dain'. Give him a pick and whatever else you feel like we need to bring. If possible could I take my turn third.

edit- forgot to add dwarf stuff.

[ June 12, 2008: Message edited by: A_Fey_Dwarf ]

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 07:54:00 am »

Looks like all the slots have been filled, but I'd be interested too.  I haven't had much experience with glass, but I've built big constructions and take joy in slaughter lately.

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 08:21:00 am »

wow thats a pretty ambitious project.
I hope it works I myself don't really have enough experience for such a project  :( but i look forward to seeing the end result

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 08:30:00 am »

I offer my humble services as a back up.

So far my most ambitious project has been a diorite pyramid but 15 z levels high.  Still, I should think I would be up to the task.

Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Stormlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 09:27:00 am »

Alright, some more rules, now that you've brought them up.

1- Using tweak for that sounds fine.
2- I'd prefer NO, just because dwarves do enough retarded thigns with their belongings even without the economy.
3- Perfectly acceptable. Personally I murder Stone/Bone/Metalcrafters too, because I don't like the thought of a fey mood being wasted on them as opposed to a smith or some other useful profession.
4- I'll be setting up a syrup industry so booze cooking won't serve much point. Knocking them off their breaks is ok if it's something important, like the traders, or some enemies, or the food is going to rot, etc. If it's just the miner being a jerk, try and tough it out.
5- I'd rather our dwarves find the ore the old fashioned way. If we can just access whatever ore is on the map at will theres no real scarcity of ores or anything.

Sav sounds like a perfect addition. Also, I already have a dedicated mechanic, so you might want to rethink a second skill for Vuntic (Not that I mind if you want it anyways.) I'll leave the construction of the death ray area to you, I haven't had any real practice with seige weapons, I prefer mechanics myself.

A_Fey_Dwarf, glad to have you.

Run Comrades, I actually still have room for one more. If you want to be on as 4th tell me what you'd like for a dwarf/dwarves.

Also, unless anyone objects, I'm going to use extra points left over for skills on our main dwarves on wrestling, just for added safety. Never hurts to be a proficient wrestler when a plebeian is throwing a tantrum near you.

Edit: Updated my first post with what dwarves we have so far, please read in case anybody wants to change their skills based on what we got right now. The last 2 dwarves are our only females.

[ June 12, 2008: Message edited by: Stormlock ]

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

Cool, I'm in for the 4th turn then!  I'll take a mason dwarf.  Name: Omer "of Greeness"!

Give him/her any skills or equipment needed as well.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

1. Yay! Of course, warping goblins into magma is completely unacceptable.
2. Woot! We share the same view of the economy.
3. *grins cruelly*
4a. Syrup=just as cheaty, but more sticky and less dwarven.
4b. Aargh! It's "try to," I tell you, not "try and"! *winces*
5. True. Alright, I'll stay off the psychic ore divining. If you used Regional Prospector, would you tell us where the HFS is?
6. What is the population cap?

Aargh! It's "siege," I tell you, not "seige"! *groans*
You can tell I was brought up by a grammarian.

Alright... alter Vuntic. He is now Archimedes, the Mathematician. He shall have a two-floor workshop-room that is fully subterranean and made fully from sand. It shall have a siege workshop in the center, with ballista and catapult parts littered around the room. The bedroom shall be 5x5 with a single bed in a niche in a wall. Otherwise, it shall be empty. There will also, in the main area, be mechanisms, gear assemblies, waterwheels, screw pumps, etc. All loose objects in the whole room shall be forbidden, as they do not actually do something, being decor. There may be a short tunnel to a small computing device. Such is my vague vision - permission to build it all myself? Oh, and his skills: Proficient Siege Engineer, Novice Mechanic, Novice Building Designer, Novice Engraver, and Wrestling. (I think that uses all ten points). The middle three are for RP. Oh, and Archimedes should not have any skill up to the level of his Siege Engineer skill.

Oh, and gender: Doesn't matter for Sav, but Archimedes must be male and bearded.

Pages: [1] 2