Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A newbie starting a bloodline game  (Read 5349 times)

Antlia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A newbie starting a bloodline game
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 04:47:15 pm »

Thank you very much.

But the primary thing for my message is that I have some urgent doings this week, so I can't start this fortress... I'll change my name to last, so my turn doesn't come. I'll be back on next weeks Wednesday.

1.Dadamh
2.Run Comrades
3.DF newb
4.dresdor
5.Strife26
6.Metal Chao
7.Bullion
8.Antlia

Dadamh, your move.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 04:55:23 pm »

Suddenly I am to embark and whatnot, and all the responsibility there.

Ok, but don't blame me when things go south.

Haha, ok.  I'll go into a temperate forest and see what I can do.  I figure that makes sense given that we are going to need wood.  Lots of wood.  Also temperate means we won't have freezing water and dried up lakes.

The plot will be... what?  With no underground Z-levels, I suppose we need a bigger embark location.

People with slow PCs, do you mind a 5x5?  Consider that pathing and also z-level slowness will be less of an issue, at least early on.  I'll delay starting for a few hours and go with a 5x5 if there are no objections.  Otherwise we'll knock it down to 4x4.

Also feel free to toss advice over on starting professions and items, if you guys think of anything we need inherently.  Otherwise I'll improvise.

Back in a few hours to get started.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 08:08:17 pm »

Ok, that being said, I'll start.

Embarking into "The Heavenly Jungle", a Temperate Conifer Forest in Serene surroundings.

Frankly I figure building only above ground causes problems enough without having it set in some Terrifying Badland Hellhole.

I'll bring wood, stone, booze, and food and get on it.  Part of the original spec did say that the initial storage could be underground, so I will begin with such.  Nothing tremendous, just something until I get the warehouse underway.

Edit:  I reduced the plot to 4x4 for slower comps.  I can't see going much lower if we need the logging industry like we likely will.  Here's hoping we can get some unicorns to balance out our food, heheheh.

Strike the Earth!

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 08:22:34 pm »

Holy carp.    >:(

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 10:40:31 pm »

Hah I'm the past four posts or so.

Anyway, Ok, I'm done playing.  I'll write it all up tomorrow.

Overview:  Got a few meager buildings built, mostly sleeping and eating places.  Have a wood stockpile covered by a roof to prevent rot.  Food is at least stable but won't hold up to immigrants.  Things going marginally OK so far.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 02:25:30 am »

Good, good.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 07:23:49 pm »

Ok, here's the first year.  Sorry if it's a bit bland, but honestly first years normally are, and even more so because there just isn't much to discover when you are all above ground.

The site ended up being decent enough.  Sand for glass, plenty of trees (seriously, the whole left side of the map is wagon-inaccessible for the jungle), a enough wildlife for the most part.  Running water is nice, and even though there are unicorns and carp, I haven't had any issues with them yet. 

The name for the site was the third one given by random, and I decided to stick with it.

On to the story.

From the Journal of Amost èriththimshur, Head Woodworker and Expedition Leader

1st Granite, 1051:
The first of Granite.  The beginning of a new year is always a good time to begin a new life.  I am Amost "Dadamh" èriththimshur.  The nickname, eh, I was introducing myself to the lads here, and did a bit of a cough.  They find it funny to call me 'Dadamh' now.

Anyway, the King has mandated that a wooden outpost be built.  Order passed from noble to noble until it got to me.  I'm a woodworker and I have a tendency to think outside the box, which together means that I have to ability to help, and the nobles want me out of the mountainhomes.

We arrived at the location, ambitiously named "RoadEmpire".  An elf or a human would certainly find the place pleasant.  Peaceful surroundings for the most part, a heavily forested area just across the river, and general greenery all around.  I see a huge amount of wood to chop and form into whatever we need.  However, I know wood can't solve all problems right away, so I set that Catten fellow to start mining out a small stockpile for food.  We didn't bring much that readily rots, but the food won't last long in the rain out here.

One note about the site:  There are unicorns that watch us stoically from the forest.  I've heard conflicting stories about them.  Ask an elf or a human, and they'll say these magical beasts are a sign of luck and good fortune.  Ask a dwarf that has lived near a herd and he'll get skittish and look for a place to hide.  I've decided not to bother hunting at the moment, despite my minor skill with it.

5th Granite:
We've got the wagon mostly unloaded, with regards to wood, anyway.  The wood in to the left of the cart, and the bauxite we brought is to the right.  I've set out foundations for a small house.  As charming as sleeping under a yawning expanse of sky can be, I want a proper dwelling.  We may have to live like humans, but we don't have to live like animals. 

Catten is still digging out the stockpile.  I had to physically pull the bugger away from his fishing.  I didn't care for the way those carp were lashing around anyway.  The others call me crazy for fearing a fish, but that thing is dangerous.

10th Granite:
Work on the initial room of the house is complete.  A small barracks, and nothing more.  We've begun construction on a back office for Tun, since she wants to find a place to keep the outpost records updated.  Personally I don't see the point.  As low as we are on everything, you could take a five-minute stroll around the camp and hand-count everything of value.  All the food is now safely underground.  I've begun apprenticing Catten on some basic carpentry.

10th Slate:
Damnable surface builders!  I am a dwarven carpenter.  That means that I know how to make beds, chests, and other furniture.  Sure, a wall here or there in a pinch is fine, but nothing like this.  We're out of wood again.  We began construction of a drinking hall, but before I could even finish describing the place, Tun was shaking her fool head.

"There's not enough wood.  We're completely out of tower-caps, and you've been so busy making grandiose plans that we haven't got much else cut."

So against, perhaps, the wishes of the unicorns, we've begun some massive deforestation.  A settlement like this requires a ton of wood, and we brought those axes for a reason.

27th Slate:
I think those so-called 'herbalists' really know bugger all about plants.  They've torn up half of the undergrowth in the surrounding area and put it in barrels, but next to none of it is actually edible, let alone plantable. Food is going to be right scarce if we can't get a proper farm going.  I'm still not letting anyone fish, what with those carp and gar out there.

Tun's office is finished.  She's been in there for a fortnight now, scribbling on paper.  How she takes inventory without actually counting, I'll never know.

20th Felsite:
Everything is going smoothly enough.  The herbalists found some ripe berries, and we've been saving the seeds after we eat.  A farm may not be that unlikely in the near future. 

1st Hematite:
The first of Hematite, officially summer.
I was walking to harvest a tree today and noticed that there is an amount of red sand around the embark site.  If we ever get stabilized enough to set one up, we could produce a fair amount of glass for export. 

The mead hall's construction continues.  The first floor is finished, and since Catten was making such laboriously slow progress in carpentry, I let him dig out a small basement for food and ale storage.  Can't have a drinking hall and make everyone walk across the camp for their beer.  The slow progress of the camp overall has everyone in a bit of a mood though.  I've designed a small statue that will perhaps give our little town something of an identity.

17th Hematite:
My statue will have to wait.  Eating and drinking in the grass out in the open is unacceptable.  I'm diverting all resources to finishing the hall.  The sole exception being the farmers, who have finally found enough seeds to start a small sunberry plot, as well as a few prickleberries.

6th Malachite:
Autumn is quickly approaching, with our first caravan from the mountainhomes scheduled.  I've set out plans for a trade depot, and Catten is designing it.  Shouldn't be too hard to get built in time.  I do wish we had more to trade, but it's possible that we'll find something by the time the caravan gets here. 

9th Galena:
Finally, Amost's Hall is finished!  I've decided to name it after myself, as I'm expedition leader at the moment.  It's a modest sort of shack, but it's better than being out in the rain.  The roof is wide and flat enough to build stills on, and we have done so.  Keeps everything in the same area, which is nice in some regards.

Farmers report that the sunberry seeds disappeared.  Not sure what that's supposed to mean.  Well, we'll farm something else then.

1st Limestone:
We've harvested a number of prickleberries and sunberries, and so I've gone to the roof of the hall and begun brewing.  I like my dwarven wine, but the sunshine I've got going will be some fine liquor when it's finished.

9th Limestone:
It seems I'm not the only one that is skittish about those damned carp.  The herbalists won't go near the river, even to grab plants, and our other woodcutter won't go near it even carrying an axe.  I'm not going to bother trying to kill the things off just yet.  I've removed the deforestation from the affected areas.

The statue in the center of town is finished!  I'm not much of an artist, or a designer, but I think it's a right likeness of a horse.  I don't know what possessed me to make a fifty foot tall wooden horse in the middle of town, but now we have one.

On a side note, the dwarven caravan has been spotted on approach.  We have nothing of note to trade, however.

15th Limestone:
Daft recordkeeper fell asleep while butchering our muskox. 

3rd Sandstone:
Tun finally woke up and wandered over to the trade depot.  I suppose the merchants didn't mind seeing her face covered in dried ox blood and rotting chunks of fat all over her clothes. 

Traded some rotting turtles and a keg of Sunshine for some more food.  Drink is all well and good but we're a bit short of edibles.  Also took some iron bars to help even out the weight.  Might be able to use them next year or something, if we ever get out of working for basic survival.

19th Sandstone:
This damn liaison has been following me for nearly a month.  We finally had a meeting.  Not sure we can export most of this stuff, but we can't control demand.  I've requested drink, food, and wood.  We are mostly fine otherwise.

25th Sandstone:
The lumber worries me, sitting out in the rain.  We've accrued quite a pile of logs in the downtime after Amost's Hall was completed.  I've begun a basic roof to keep it out of the rain.  Tun tells me that it will likely take more lumber to build the roof than we even have in the pile, but this is for future work as well.

I've also set standing orders against using the bauxite we brought along.  We aren't able to dig deep enough for stone, and you never know if there is a magma pool nearby that we may be able to tap, given proper tools.  In any case, stone might be useful at some point, so we don't need it made into something stupid.

1st Moonstone:
It's officially Winter. 

We've got most of the lumberyard covered.  There's even a spot in the back that we've moved the carpentry workshops to, as well as the crafting shop.  The crafter has made a few bone trinkets to hock at the next trading caravan.

We're short on food.  The farming has not been tremendously successful, and we are in some danger of starving.

18th Moonstone:
I was out cutting trees today and spotted a kobold thief skulking about!  I don't know what the bloody hell he thought he'd steal, but he ran off at the first sight of my axe.  I felt bold after that and went hunting.  My crossbow is back at the mountainhome, so I chased after a fox until I brought my axe down on it.  We'll have meat and likely a pelt, if Tun ever gets out of that office.

24th Moonstone:
Those damned unicorns are making everyone edgy.  They prowl about, right outside of camp.  They've made no hostile actions and they scatter when a dwarf approaches, but they still worry me.

6th Opal:
The covering for the lumberyard is complete.  It was an expensive undertaking, but should keep our lumber out of the rain for the foreseeable future.  Also, the rooftop may be possible to covert into some sort of housing, or a warehouse, given time and effort.  That's not for me though, I'm beginning to tire of leading anyway.

20th Opal:
Unicorns won't go away.  I'm tempted to sink my axe into one as a warning, but I don't want to rouse anger in the herd.

28th Opal:
Ha!  One of the unicorns seems to have been injured by a carp or gar.  It's right front leg is bruised badly and it's lower body is all gashed up.  It keeps passing out on the ground, while it's herdmates cluster around it.  It's a bit sad to see, but perhaps they will leave us for a time.

20th Obsidian:
Ah, my time as leader is growing short.  The unicorns continue to block any logging to the south, but there's little I feel I can do about it at the moment.

1st Granite:
I'm retiring as leader.  I have to formally keep the title, as per mountainhome policy, but I'll leave the actual work to some other dwarf.  I'm a woodcutter and carpenter at my heart, and I just want to be in the woods with an axe, increasing our supply of logs.

The settlement is in good shape, for the first year.  We've got a relatively stable stockpile of food, though it's more than a bit low for what I'd like.  We have plenty of drink, and a tolerable stockpile of wood going.  It's not easy, living aboveground, but I believe that dwarves are staunch enough to weather any problem.  I'm closing my journal now.  Best of luck to those who come after me.

Final Status:

Full map o' the area, thumbnailed because it's large:

Ok, finally the save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=231

It's now RunComrades turn.  By the way, if you can't open RARs I can zip the thing and reupload.

Anyway, good luck.  It's a nice site but GAH building above ground is a pain sometimes.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 09:15:23 am »

Starting today!

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 02:48:34 pm »

1st Granite 1053 Journal of Catten Comrarun
My year long term as manager of our outpost has come to an end. For better, or worse we shall see.  I shall make a full report in the morrow.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 02:36:49 pm »

From the journal of Catten Comrarun Onolvuckas.

1st Granite 1052
I am Catten "Comrarun" Onolvuckas. In the tongue of the humans, Catten Mountaincresents.  For the next year, it is my duty to manage this fortress, as ordered by the King.  Being an apprentice to Amost (or as we in good humor call him, Dadamh) in carpentry, it seems fitting that I succeed him in managerial duties.  The pressures of leading have put more than a few strands of white in his beard, especially with us living so out of our element.

But he has done well for us as a leader.  We had some tough times setting up, but already we have roofs over our heads, food to eat, alcohol to sustain us, and wood in our stockpiles. 

I, at first, was unsure of the wisdom in building a purely decorative statue so early in our settling.  But, being as fond of horses as I am (such strong , majestic creatures!) I found it hard to find any fault in the lifelike construction.  I am in awe of it every time I see it. 

Now to more official business: I walked around our settlement today to try to get a feel for the fortress as a whole.  There are a few things that worry me initially.  Our fort's security is non-existent.  If we were to get an ambush now, we all would surely die.  Perhaps Dadamh and I would live, maybe Minkot and Zuglar too.  At best four of us would live.  We have no dogs chained up, no real way of fighting off an attack, no way of even hiding from an attack.  There are other priorities now, but this one should be addressed as soon as possible. 

The other thing that I noticed was how meager our sleeping quarters are.  I was content up until now, because it was a huge improvement from sleeping out in the rain.  But our quarters right now are possibly worse than our dogs'. 

So on that note today I will order the completion of the second floor of Amost's Hall.  I plan on putting a few of the more important dwarves quarters up there for now.

Minkot will see to the felling of trees while Dadamh and I see to the construction of the second floor.

7th Granite
Construction of the floor is nearly complete.  Already Dadamh seems pleased with our new quarters.  I even caught him testing out the accomodations.

10th Granite
Amost's Hall is now complete.  Minkot and I will construct a few more beds to put up there.  We admired a swarm of pixies while crafting the beds, as they flew around the horse statue.  I enjoy working alongside Minkot.  She is a better carpenter than I, and I can almost learn a few new tricks from her when master Amost is too busy for instruction.  Which he is now.  He is planning the construction of the walls above the wood stockpile shelter.  I am going to make that one of our first larger buildings.  I think I'll house the rest of the dwarves there.

15th Granite
Our resident unicorns are becoming bolder.  They  keep sneaking up to our farms, only to scamper away when a farmer gets close.  Asod and Fikob have expressed their concern.  I share their concern, but held my tongue and reassured them that the unicorns mean no harm.  I even pointed out that the female in this herd of three suffers from some injuries.

16th Granite
Buzz-kill.  The elven caravan has arrived.  The only things the elves and us have to exchange are scowls and curses.  We will find no friends among them.

21st Granite
I ordered Tun to see what the outsiders had brought to vend.  They had very little that we could use.  A rope would be very useful.  But I decided against trading any of our foodstuffs.  We aren't quite so stable as to trade our only means of survival.  Although I foresee prepared meals being one of our primary exports once we are more established.  I just don't see how we can justify crafting from wood for too much longer.  The elves shall leave with nothing but a bad taste in their mouths this year.

22nd Granite
I've ordered four beds built to be assigned to myself, Minkot, Dadamh, and Zuglar in Amost's Hall.  Just a trip down the stairs for a midnight drink for us!

27th Granite
Asob Stukossanreb has put a party together.  Girls-only, apparently.  I went to see what all the noise was about, and I was nudged outside again. I did catch a glimpse of Minkot though.  We exchanged smiles. She looked  as fair as Gneiss and Moonstone! 

While they revel in our poverty, it is back to work for the more level headed.  Dadamh informed me the plans for the room above the woodpile are complete.  I ordered the carpenters to start building.  I feel like I need to clear my mind a bit.  Images of Minkot are pervading my thoughts.  We have been working closely together with increasing frequency.  I think I will go assists the planters in harvesting for a while.  I will help out with the carpentry afterwards.

6th Slate
While eating in Amost's Hall, I noticed one of our resident war dogs was badly injured in the lower body.  I wonder if maybe his wounds and the wounds of that female unicorn are related. Seems reasonable.

11th Slate
Construction of the walls complete.  I plan to build wooden bridges between all of our building on the second floor.  Maybe we can even cover them someday.  It would be nice to seal the ground levels off, with only access from above.  But I'm not sure if the others will agree.  That's for much later though.

16th Slate
Out of wood...again.  Time to harvest.  We shall find no friends in the elves.  Fair Minkot and Zuglar are seeing to the felling.

2nd Feliste
A few kittens were born today.  Something tells me this is only the beginning.  I had cautioned against bringing cats.  Oh well.  Every dwarf has something that softens their heart, even I.

4th Felsite
Perhaps they were an omen.  The first migrants showed up today. While thier labor will be appreciated, we are in no way prepared for their appetites. We got a peasant (Kadol Uristbuzat), weaponsmith (Rakust Muthkatsigun), and another farmer (Ablel Olonilrom). Bringing total to 10. Thank Katthir that there are only a few.

11th Felsite
Minkot and I have been spending a lot of time with each other.  We work together, sleep together, eat together.  I do love her.  Today she decided to throw a welcoming party in Amost's hall for the migrants.  It was the first celebration I allowed myself to enjoy.

14th Felsite
Tun reported to me today.  She brought to my attention our dwindling supply of alcohol.  The celebration definitely is making a dent in our stocks.  To make matters worse, I am having a hard time convincing the brewers to get to work on top of Amost's Hall.  They refuse to brew, for what reason, I know not.  Either way, I ordered the construction of a temporary still on the ground to see if that will convince them to start brewing.

17th Felsite
Minkot, Dadamh, and Asob are still partying.  This while Zuglar and I are continuing work on what we have come to call Butchery Barracks (above the woodpile).  I think the elves will appreciate the christening. 

24th Felsite
We began construction of the second floor of Butchery Barracks, as per my order and Amost's plans.  Once it is covered, we will have a markedly more comfortable set up.  A few more buildings, some wooden roads and paths on the ground, and we will start to have a settlement that rivals even a humans!  Maybe we will grow tall and our beards fall off too!  Side note: litter of puppies born today.

27th Felsite
I got a working still operation now.  The brewers are replenishing our stores.  I feel a whole mountain range better.

1st Hematite
Ordered the making of wood crafts in preparation for the next trade caravan.  I remember Dadamh mentioning that crafts were one of the things that the Mountainhomes desired from us.  Hopefully we make a few crowns to their liking.

2nd Malachite
We have enough beds for now, but I ordered 5 extra to be constructed, just in case.  Dadamh will masterfully be taking care of that.

13th Malachite
I had a carpenter build parts to build a screw pump.  I decided that I didn't actually need it quite yet.  But we have the parts together if we ever need to build one.

16th Malachite
Massive deforestation continues.  Almost all trees north of the river and west of the woodpile are gone, or marked for harvest.

2nd Galena
I ordered the start of a small building across from the current sleeping quarters that I intend to house our kitchen in.  Construction of the second floor of Butchery Barracks continues.  Dadamh continues to manage the construction.  Minkot and I are doing the lion's share of building with Dadamh.  She is a wonderful woman.  Strong, thick in beard, very full of cheer.  I am glad to have her as my companion here.  My friendship with Amost continues to strengthen as well.  We see eye to eye on a lot of things.

8th Galena
More migrants have arrived.  The King must at least be marginally impressed with our work so far to be sending us more hands.  Good thing I had those spare beds built.  Now, just where to put them...

10th Galena
Just a metalsmith and a tanner this time.  Good thing.  I told them that they would be helping with building and various hauling tasks for now.

12 Galena
Fikod tells me that the unicorn herd has finally left.  I was initially relieved (and admittedly saddened), until she went on to say that it was replaced by a rival herd of five unicorns.  So now I feel both terrified and fascinated.  Definitely have to keep a few eyes on those beasts.

1st Limestone
Autumn has arrived.  Significant constructions have been completed.  We have a few crafts to trade, but not much. We need to think of a way to increase products for export.  The only means we have now are woodcrafting.  But that seems like a bad idea to base our trade on such a precious resource. 

14th Limestone
Caravan from Solametur has arrived.  We will see what we can get.  Hopefully our dwarven brothers have brought with them some relief.

17th Limestone
Dadamh talked with the liason today.  In his report to me he told me that he ordered more wood, food, and drink.  As I had requested.

18th Limestone
Feb, one of our new metalsmiths, came nose to nose with our second kobold thief overall.  What brings them here, we still don't fully know.

19th Limestone
Zuglar informed me that he met a kobold thief too.  What are they seeking, I wonder?

22nd Limestone
Nice to see a few more bearded faces around here.  With autumn comes the color change.  It is absolutely beautiful right now.  Minkot and I strolled around areas of the forest that still remain.  Maybe this above ground living isn't so bad.  Or maybe all of this fresh air is going to my head...

1st Sandstone
Tun reports to me that the dwarves brough disappointingly little wood. But with the crafts we had to trade we were able to get a few barrels of alcohol, 2 units of wood, and a few units of leather.  The leather for armor, eventually, or just in case one of our volatile dwarven moods strike.

4th Sandstone
To celebrate the coming of the merchants, Zulgar set a party up in Amost Hall.

9th Sandstone
I sent Minkot out to survey the surrounding areas for wood.  She reported that wood remains plentiful east of the stockpile and south of the river.  The northwest corner of the jungle has just about been cleared completely.  We need to leave it be for a while to get some good trees growing again.

14th Sandstone
Our brethren from the Mountianhomes have left.  They shall be missed.  Until next year!

Our trade agreement:

23rd Sandstone
FINALLY the second floor (i.e. roof) of Butchery Barracks is completed. This will free up a building and give us a little more space to breathe.

1st Timber
Currently all of the buildings we have are now connected on the second level via wooden bridge walkways.

6th Timber
I ordered the beds moved into Butchery Barracks.  While I was doing that, more migrants arrived. 

7th Timber
5 in total arrived.  I'll have to have a few more beds constructed.  We have enough space for them, but need more beds.  Our food stockpiles are full enough for the extra stomachs.

8th Timber
I made sure all of the newcomers understood that they were all responsible for building just like everyone else (except for a few farmers, of course). They seemed agreeable.  Total population now at 17.  Thinking about starting a dog adoption program.  Too many in Amost's Hall.

9th Timber
For the first time everyone at least is assigned their own bed.  It's a start!.

22nd Timber
Built a kitchen in the newest ground building.  Gave it access with stairs to the stockpile below.  We don't exactly NEED one yet, but I believe this to be our best option for trade once we get some good things to cook, and a decent stock of seeds.  In fact, I should have requested some from the caravan.  Next year.  Side note: I had to order Dadahm not to hunt, he seemed determined, but I stressed the danger of the carp.  He told me he knows how dangerous they are.

27th Timber
I finally talked with Dadamh and the brewers and figured out why they refused to use the breweries on top of Amost's hall.  Apparently they took Amost's order to not use bauxite WAY too literally; they wouldn't even work in a bauxite constructed workshop.  So I made it clear that they were absolutely allowed to brew in those and to tell the tanners that and the butchers that their workshops are okay to use.  I ordered the deconstruction of the temporary stills I built.

4th Moonstone
Fikod, in celebration of winter, has thrown a party.  Largest one yet!

17th Moonstone
Our first tragedy.  Even though I told him no to do it.  My closest friend...It's my fault...DAMN YOU CARP!  He, who continually warned us of their violent rage, is killed by a hoard of them.  Dadamh, you will be forever remembered, forever missed.

19th Opal
I've finished the construction of the indoor butcher, tanner, and leather workshops. Still feel horrible.  Minkot tries to comfort me.  It's my fault.

5th Obsidian
The end is near.  I set up a masons shop just to make one coffin for our fallen leader.  He deserves a proper burial.  I placed his coffin below the statue of the horse that I loved so dearly and that he built with such passion.  May he rejoin the rocks and stones from which he was cut.

11th Obsidian
Minkot....Minkot...While surveying for more wood...carp...WHY!?!  Dearest Minkot. We can't even retrieve her body.  This is my lowest moment.  My two dearest friends...both my fault...I feel unable to lead much further.

14th Obsidian
I've ordered the start of harvest of trees east of the stockpile.  I will try to have some stock of wood ready for the next manager.  I no longer have the will to build.

22nd Obsidian
A party to mourn our lost friends was organized.  I did not attend.

1st Granite 1053
My year long term as manager of our outpost has come to an end. For better, or worse we shall see.

I am in no position to tell the next manager what to do, but I do have a few suggestions for guidance.

Our security issues remain unresolved.  Maybe build barracks, get some dwarves trained in wresting at least.

We need a procedure for emergencies to keep everyone safe, something to think about.

Wall up the farms.  Get them connected via first floor walkways, without covering them.

Build more buildings for workshops.  Build an apartment complex for the dwarves, then possibly use Butchery Barracks for something else.

Request seeds of various types of plants at the next trade caravan.  Possibly consider starting to make meals for trade, but may be too early yet for that.

I'm going to go drink now....

---------------------------------------

Here are a few pictures of the fort as a whole, thumbnailed.

Ground level:

First Level:

This is a good way of seeing the deforestation.  Notice lack of tree tops in norhtwest region, creeping into northeast region.

Here's the file:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=237

I'll get the map up on the map archive in a minute.

DFnewb is up!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 09:51:28 pm by Run Comrades »

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 02:48:01 pm »

Map is up on archive, if you want to look at it go to:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2939-roadempire

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 09:45:53 pm »

A 3d view of the fort after year 2.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 03:06:36 pm »

Those sneaky carp!  I knew something was going to happen with those things.

Good writeup, nice style and things seemed to go fairly well.

Hopefully this game keeps going, despite the fact that this has got to be the smallest fortress ever for a third-year game.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 08:55:48 pm »

I got it and I am starting now
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 09:41:36 pm »

Yeah, I had my workers occupied most of the time too.  For whatever reason I built up instead of out.  But still, the wood supplies are going to be somewhat of an issue as far as how fast the fort will grow.  But it should be interesting!

Can't wait to see what develops!
Pages: 1 [2] 3