Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A newbie starting a bloodline game  (Read 5347 times)

Antlia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A newbie starting a bloodline game
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:55:00 am »

Hi there, I've read stories about bloodline games like Boatmurdered and I really gotta say that I love them. The only problem is, that I am a complete noob (none of my fortresses is worth mentioning). And I also have a question: how do you give a savegame to another player?

Well, I have an idea what this game could be. The fortress would be builded only aboveground, excluding the first few storages and such. That way the fortress would be more like a city, wich should have proper streets etc. So, would anyone like to play this kind of an bloodline game (or a succession game, if that's better)?

RandomRandomUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A newbie starting a bloodline game
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Antlia:
<STRONG>Hi there, I've read stories about bloodline games like Boatmurdered and I really gotta say that I love them. The only problem is, that I am a complete noob (none of my fortresses is worth mentioning). And I also have a question: how do you give a savegame to another player?

Well, I have an idea what this game could be. The fortress would be builded only aboveground, excluding the first few storages and such. That way the fortress would be more like a city, wich should have proper streets etc. So, would anyone like to play this kind of an bloodline game (or a succession game, if that's better)?</STRONG>

What I did was host the save file (the files in region1) on www.filefactory.com  in a .rar file. I would be interested in joining in normal cirumstances, I am completely new at this game too :P but I am busy with exams for the next few weeks, sorry.

You live and learn then you die and forget it all

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 03:38:00 pm »

Couple of quick comments from a fairly recent arrival on these boards - firstly, use whatever method you want to pass save files around - the usual is to use Dwarf Fortress File Depot, but I've seen others used, and even just e-mailing the files. Best to just stick to zipping or RARing the region folder, as that's pretty standard and you never quite know what sort of stuff the next person has to decompress stuff.

Second, building above ground can be very hard work. Unless you use some sort of utility to automate stuff, it takes a lot more time and attention than digging things out. A 6x6 underground room with a door can be done in about a dozen keypresses - to get the same outside, you need to build 27 sections of wall one by one. And then a door. And a floor, if you don't want dirt/mud underfoot. And a roof, if you want the place to be sheltered - which involves first building a way for the dwarves to get on top of the walls, and then building floor at that level - which you can't designate all at once, but can only designate constructions that are supported by the existing walls or other bits of roof, so it takes a while before you can even tell the dwarves to close the thing over...

(and the way I found out how much work it took was by trying to build a huge tower all the way up the Z axis, and ending up with about 2 complete levels and a staircase in the middle that went up to the top...)

It is a nice idea - everything would look great in the 3d visualiser - but I'd make sure there was a util somewhere that made building outside easy before committing to it.

(edited to add link)

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: Jools ]

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »

Uh, assuming you didn't decide to drop the idea when you got some questioning replies, I'll join in as a leader for a year if you'd like.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »

I've done LOTS of outdoor building. I built a HUGE tower (which you can see a picture of if you want on the 3d visualizer thread) once.  Water towers too.  I did it all without the dwarf utility thing.  Just the old fashioned ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND keystroke way.

But, yeah, I'd be interested in participating too.  I don't mind the repetitive building.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 09:02:00 pm »

I'll join (I love outside forts)
but only if I can use my DFwall
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

Outside?  Such is not the way dwarves live!  Oh well, I'd like to join as well.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

Sure, why not. Tack me on to the list somewhere.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 04:15:00 am »

You have my axe

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 06:51:00 am »

And my bow!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 07:45:00 am »

i think i can get around to my first bloodline game, count me in.

we need an old hand all up in this.

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 04:28:00 am »

Don't let this die now   ;)

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »

Maybe one of us should take it hostage, start it and then hold it for ransom when the topic starter returns. All proceeds go to Toady...

Antlia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 12:38:43 pm »

Okay, I didn't check this topic lately, so I didn't know that anyone wants to join. Well, it looks like there are joiners... I'll take the first turn, if it doesn't matter, but you have to tell me, how do I make files rar. or zip. I know how to extract them.

List of leaders so far:
1.Antlia
2.Dadamh
3.Run Comrades
4.DF newb
5.dresdor
6.Strife26
7.Metal Chao
8.Bullion

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 01:05:20 pm »

you have to tell me, how do I make files rar. or zip. I know how to extract them.

If you are using a windows XP machine, just right click the folder with the save game (region# in DwarfFort folder/data/save), then click send to, then "Compressed (zip) folder".

That will place a zip in the same directory.

Otherwise use RAR if you'd like.  Go to http://www.rarsoft.com/ and get it.

Install it and then right click the folder and use "Add to Region#.rar" and save the thing somewhere.

I'd use

http://dffd.wimbli.com/

To upload the file, other possibilities include rapidshare.com.

Pages: [1] 2 3