Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started  (Read 20223 times)

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
Re: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »

Wow... that is a wonderful legendary item...

Maybe we should give bonus points for engravings/legendaries with kinky descriptions/uses. Heh heh heh heh.

..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »

An award for the most fitting name, perhaps? Like Drivespray the Mechanical Sewer... Can't get enough of that name.

Anyway, I can confidently report I have a small smelting and glassmaking operation live, far too many stone mugs, the beginnings of an outer defensive system and 15 dwarves, who are all either asleep or attending a party.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2008, 10:13:00 pm »

Writing journal entries is somewhat difficult in a short timeframe, doubly so since I don't think that many of us want to announce our every movement and give away any tricks to our opponents.

Besides, things are moving too fast with my fort to really give any understandable journal entries.

Oh yeah, don't assume white traps are stonefall traps. Snowfall makes everything outdoors white, including my kill/maim/capture field. Lots of copper, tin, lead, and silver makes certain things very easy to do.  :D

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2008, 12:08:00 am »

My map has only water and trees, thats all i am sharing ATM.

Oh and rite after my monument was finished I caught 5 ambush groups and wiped out most of my dwarves except the injured dudes, The cripples managed to kill off the last as they entered the sick rooms, leaving me f!!c@e#.

I would embark somewhere else but the statue was the biggest pain in the ass yet, worse than the Roariron axe, and I will submit it regardless of what happens,  The points would not be enough to overcome the dead dwarves im afraid tho, so sadly I may not make it out of the first elimination....My plan was to finish the monument, and build the fort by year 3, then train my military for 2 years, seems i got it backwards....

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2008, 01:42:00 am »

The spring of the 3rd year. Dungeon Master just showed up with a mob of immigrants that brought the population up to 82. The first steel bars have just been smelted in the fires of the magma furnaces. Goblin snatchers are showing up with increasing frequency. Must hurry up progress on the outer wall.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

Alright, I just started. Sorry I was so late in getting around to it.

Anyway, The random fortress name that was picked for me was "syrupcat". I decided to stick with it. I intend to make the most elaborate trap ever known.

EDIT: First update! syrupcat unfortunately did not work, due to flaming-death-by-fire-imp, so I decided to embark NEAR a volcano instead of ON TOP OF one.

1st Granite:
  Ah, a new settlement! And with it, the chance to compete with my fellow dwarf foremen, and earn the title of grand master settlement manager. I intend to take the prize with an elaborate trap, one which will annihilate all enemies who attempt to capture my fortress, and astound the judges who will be checking the fortress at the end of my term.

1st Slate:
  I do love kitties. They make the highest-quality bags I've ever seen. This should give me the opportunity to get some quarry bushes grown for extra food stores.

There now comes the unfortunate matter of the volcano. I've been trying to avoid it all this time, but I don't think I can put it off any longer. I need to get rid of those fire imps!

1st Felsite: Spring now draws to a close, but much work has been done. All the kitties were been "dealt with", in a promptly manner. I do think it would be a ghastly affair if the judges were to find out my methods of bag-production. (NOTE: hide/trade away cat bone crafts at first chance!)

Operation Not-My-Problem is now under way. My trade depot is up and ready to accept an eager caravan of trained soldiers and penny-pinching merchants.

1st Malachite: Summer has been somewhat uneventful so far. No immigrants, to my disappointment. I had figured that the glory of my settling would be attracting dwarves by the thousands by now. Oh well, live and learn.

Operation Not-My-Problem is complete. Now I must wait.

1st Sandstone: Success! The merchants arrived, the soldiers arrived, and so did a few unwelcome guests: the fire imps! They were allured by the massive array of goods ranged upon a depot a few scant meters from the volcano. The mercenaries aiding the caravan were only too happy to deal with my fire imp infestation. Two of them met a grisly end in the burning magma of the volcano, but it really can't be helped now, can it? There would appear to be a single imp remaining, but he won't be doing that much with his left arm lopped off at the shoulder, now, will he?

Winter approaches. I shall have much to say (and perhaps a few screenshots  ;) ) after it has passed.

[ April 17, 2008: Message edited by: GeneralValter ]

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

That would suck if at the very last minute of the time frame, every single dwarf of yours were killed - thus negating all your points.

Perhaps we need a rule change?

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »

Dude i am getting the sh^^ ambushed out of me, I have lost many, do dead legendaries still get their points?

I refuse to start over because of the monument is the craziest I have done and re embarking somewhere else feels like cheating to me....

33 dead so far and counting, and my dude with the appraisal skill so I think im done for,  the liason has been hanging out for several years now I think he got left behind I dont friggin know...

[ April 17, 2008: Message edited by: I3erent ]

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

Just as a heads up, I'll go ahead and make backpacks and waterskins for all my soldiers but I am not going to equip them. We should not have to have alchohal-starved slow as dirt soldiers just to get the points.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

Holy crap. I was running very low on leather in year 2 so I asked the humans to bring some. The caravan in year year brought 1030 goddamn units of leather. In bins too.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

I wish they were that enthusiastic about my requests for wood. :/

40 beds for 86 dwarves in the middle of year 2 is quite annoying. Especially since I'll probably be getting some nobles soon. Fortunatly the combination of magma, Copper Nuggets, Galena, Casserite, and Silver Nuggets has made it possible for me to have plenty of bins/barrels/cages/weapons/armor.  :/

Right now I'm looking forward to a death match between a tamed Polar bear and three unarmed goblin captives in my arena. Hopefully I'll have it fully built before the Baron(ess) and their consort arrive...

Of course, their rooms are already built.

Also, by *all* Rooms Royal, do you also mean to include a burial chamber? My Mayor hasn't requested one yet, but if they need to have all four rooms in royal quality I'd like to know now before things get too far along.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2008, 07:15:00 am »

we will see later whether we need a rulechange.
Just to say out of a mood "yeah y not" is a bad bad idea.

Some contestants chose quite difficult startlocations, some did not.
Actually I'm thinking about whether some numbers may be too high, but changing it now would be quite unfair.
If there are some hardly in worth differing fortresses, there might be a situation the jury calls the Fort with less points the winner because of special reasons.
In the end the lose or win depends completely on the will of the jury, anyway.

Don't forget style and layout counts too  ;)
Some categories might not be able to be evaluated with numbers
*surprise surprise*

*runs away laughing lunatically*

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2008, 08:23:00 am »

I chose a pretty easy location. Lots of trees, volcano right next to me, only three fire imps and a magma man. The main downside is the low amount of gems and ores, but the huge obsidian layers sorta make up for that. I'm finished with year 1 with about 75k total wealth. I'll probably be working out trap systems next.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

ChaosTheory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2008, 11:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tigerbunny:
<STRONG>Actually I'm thinking about whether some numbers may be too high, but changing it now would be quite unfair.</STRONG>

Well, that's why we have this preliminary elimination round, it'll help to work out the kinks in the scoring system too.

quot;Sinister, it''s like diet evil" - Sinnyil

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »

The jury will take care of all of that through their effective discussion... *Cough DRUNKEN BRAWL cough*
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16