Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started  (Read 20216 times)

Oracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

Sign me up as a contestant!!

Oracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

From the itial post I take it to mean that you aren't counting armour and finished goods because of sieges?

I thought that gobbo junk counted as imported wealth, not created wealth.

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

If you melt the narrow iron junk they call armor and the gobs are nearly as active as usual you will have an abundance of metal. When used for smithing this metal counts as created.
Additionally narrow silk stuff is quite worthy, so buying a whole human caravan out of platinum bars does hardly empty your scattered trade depot.
This stuff really fudge the statistics.

I made some calculations on some of my fortresses, the current evaluationscheme seems okay.
If the jury could check their private messages please, I'm awaiting answers  ;)

We'll make a testrun and will definitly choose the map and startlocations until this Weekend. Probably we will be able to start the first matches on Sunday, if not it will start the next weekend.

I'm still awaiting your answer penguin about how many days people with reallife need to play 5 years.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

I'm in! I shall compete! And when I fail I will be an absolutely fair and balanced Juror or maybe hammerer.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ChaosTheory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tigerbunny:
<STRONG>I'm still awaiting your answer penguin about how many days people with reallife need to play 5 years.</STRONG>

I propose 10 days, maybe a week if that's too long.  Even on a slower computer, 10  days gives you half a year/day, so it should be more than enough time.

quot;Sinister, it''s like diet evil" - Sinnyil

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2008, 09:11:00 am »

Ten days seems more than enough for me. However, I am prone to bouts of gameplay.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2008, 05:09:00 am »

In my opinion the decision to participate in a challenge should bring the willingness to sacrifice a lil bit of time.
A half year per one hour is not that much, even slow and old computers may be able to make that, and I'm quite sure, more than 50% of the forum is playing more than one crappy hour per day.

The matches will start on sundays, and the jury must have the file on the next sunday.
First match will start on the next sunday, but I'm uncertain whether to make the matches in the first round simultanous. Otherwise it would take about two months only to get ro the interesting matches when some got kicked out.

Uh, yeah: signing up is possible until next weekend.
Registration stops at 16 contestants.

Here you'll find the map for the tournament: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=83
If you find a nice spot you are free to send a screenshot via pm  :)

so long

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »

Some comments (from a non-participant):

Ten days to play five years?  I couldn't always be relied upon to play a *single* year in that time, once a fortress gets big enough.  I envy those who can...

I recommend requiring more value in architecture to get a point.  A recent fortress I helped work on would get 1,600 points in that category, which I submit is a little excessive.  How about 5,000 in architectural value for one point?

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

Fedor: This challenge only continues for five dwarven years. The first five. Quite frankly, even the most pressed-for-time person can get though those five years relitivly quickly and it's doubtful that you could reach that point in architecture without dedicating your entire fortress to it from the very first day.

On another note, how many more do we need. Three contestants?

[ April 07, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

a 2^n number of participants would be nice, but are no must.
I'll develop a fitting system if no more are registering.

@Architecture:
Ever tried to make a mining relied (for the first years) Fort? After 2 years (or even earlier) your miners are legendary.
If you don't force them to mine all day, you may give them some other work.
I, for my part always give all miners the engraving task. Engravers level quite fast, so after another ~2 years they are legendary engravers AND miners...
It's just a pleasure to watch them working.
And BOTH jobs take part in architecture, especially masterfully designed engravings.
But I will think about your suggestion.

Big update will be on Friday.
For example I'll release the finished rules, but there are only minor changes, and match-formations.

Hope everybody is conform with this so far   :)

/thanks for the pm Jamini

[ April 08, 2008: Message edited by: Tigerbunny ]

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2008, 04:30:00 pm »

Sign me up as a contestant, please!

If I had the choice, I'd really appreciate a 10-day time limit.  I play slowly and thoughtfully, have a fulltime job, and am usually not at a computer over weekends.  I guess I could pull a week--but I wouldn't mind being matched up with a slower player if there's a corner of the bracket that likes long matches, yanno?

I'm not very experienced but I plan to powergame the living heck out of this.  I very much like this scoring thing.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »

I would like to propose...

Exhibition matches, and/or qualifying matches!

Exhibition is simple:  A couple people ask a jury member for a seed and location, then they play their five years on it and figure out their score, post their stories, whatever.  Or they get a seed from some other neutral party.  It should be a new thread.  The purpose is to get practice with the tournament scoring, and keep yourself occupied while others have their real games.

Qualifying matches would be a pretty sudden change, but starting once the tournament filled up/closed (yeah, sudden), everyone plays the same easy seed, and their scores are used to determine initial matchups, byes, etc.  Everyone does get to play though.

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to play an off-season game.  Considering I haven't even used magma since the 2d version and I doubt I've played any 3d fortress past year five before, although I have poked at a couple challenges (like my own little bridge challenge for fun).  I'd say I'm hosed.

Okay, qualifying is unlikely and exhibitions seem reasonable...  Tigerbunny, could I ask you to start a thread for exhibition matches, or maybe I should start one myself?  Hmmm.  As soon as the tournament spread gets announced I'm going to go looking for exhibition opponents.

Oh hey!  Let's have team names.  Your colonizing group name is the name of your team and you should try to use it for each of your matches.

[ April 10, 2008: Message edited by: Sowelu ]

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

Hope you got me down for a spot. will you notify us by PM or something?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »

Berent, the sign-up list is listed in the second post.  You're on the top of the list.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »

oH YEAH DUH...

How is the seeding gonna work random draws for opponents?

Sunday start kinda hurts for those who work but oh well aint like I havent been up till 5am playin before LMAO.

[ April 10, 2008: Message edited by: I3erent ]

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16