Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started  (Read 20210 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
Re: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started
« Reply #210 on: May 01, 2008, 07:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I think we should also take to using a pregenerated map with a specific fortress location.  That way, the location has less effect on the score than what the player manages to do with that location.  Early on we could pick maps with all the basic survival needs, and have it be a round of creative design and architecture, since there's less to worry about from the surrounding area.

From there you move up to harsher and harsher survival maps, where the player's ability to cope with adverse terrain and circumstances is shown.  The last round would probably have to have an objective, but I feel the map should be on a haunted glacier with a magma vent.  The vent just gives players the ability to choose their method of getting water, rather than having it forced on them.

In other words, in the competitive rounds, the only thing differing between fortresses should be the players.  The embark location, embark size, and starting civ should all be the same.  Starting items can still be chosen by the players.</STRONG>

that is whats going to happen i assumed?? I thought the first round was just a like test run and show us what u got...

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 01, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »

Yeah, that was my assumption too.

(I really, really wouldn't mind if the assigned area was smaller than 4x4 though.  Even 3x4 would be nice.)

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 01, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »

I'd say, for the sake of withstandable FPS ratings, the size should probably be the "standard" 3x3.  You can get enough space to build a halfway-decent fort in that area.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 01, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>From there you move up to harsher and harsher survival maps, where the player's ability to cope with adverse terrain and circumstances is shown.  The last round would probably have to have an objective, but I feel the map should be on a haunted glacier with a magma vent.  The vent just gives players the ability to choose their method of getting water, rather than having it forced on them.</STRONG>

Sounds good to me, except the fact that most veteran DF players have more or less turned the horrible glacier into a paradise map.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 01, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

Right.  Make the best paradise you can.   It's still harder than the other biomes, since you can't get an infinite water supply unless you think up some clever icefarm design.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2008, 03:05:00 am »

how does I shot IRC ?

also, at what time ?

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 02, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

Not sure when I'll be around on Saturday, probably rather late in PST.  Still I'm sure everything will be fair!  Where is the IRC server/channel, and yeah, when?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 03, 2008, 04:08:00 pm »

You guys judging today or what????
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »

funny how my reallife tries to negotiate all my plannings, as soon as I start something -.- I'm ill.  :( It seems I have to count on my own.

Have fun embarking!
I know, I used the prospector for this screenshot, this is wanted.
Theres everything you need for a BIG glassproduction. Use it wisely.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »

I have suddenly stumbled upon a new set of obligations that I cannot ignore. That coupled with the general confusion over the judging process pretty much has killed my drive to participate in this tournament.

I am sorry, I am pulling out.

Best of luck to everyone.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 04, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I think this idea has potential (eg: tournament) but the execution has been such that I have no desire to continue.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 04, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

Does this goblin-caging-mandate mean having [INVADERS:YES] in the init is mandatory?

I hate magma pools. They're too limited and hard to find. But I suppose this makes it more challenging. I won't be able to do everything I wanted, but oh well.

I'll start eventually, but first I'll play the museum a bit.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 04, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

I entered in the spirit of competition and im glad to continue, beginning fort....

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 06, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »

I dunno, I think this idea has promise. The first round has ?seemingly? been declared a test round to better understand how scoring will work later. This means that IT DOES NOT COUNT. The location (but not the seed? what's up with that?) of the second round has been given, to make the round more fair (I.E. now EVERYBODY has the SAME EXACT AREA, and everyone's different interpretations of how to make a fortress can be shown)

However, this also means the whole 'elimination idea' is out, for now, and people will be judged based on total score. The number of remaining people will be halved each round, and the winner is the last remaining in the last round.

LN

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: Lord Nightmare ]

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 06, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »

See, I'm sorta-kinda against this idea. I think that instead of forcing rigorous standards on us to make all the forts look the same, how about giving us a more varied location and letting us interpret it our own way? It'll be more interesting to see how different people look at the same location. One might think "Sand plus magma equals glass! Clear glass monuments!" while another might thing "That river could be turned into a waterfall passing through my main hall!"

Also, the seed is the same one we used for the first round.

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16