Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started  (Read 20213 times)

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started
« Reply #180 on: April 28, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

Just making sure: Did you guys get my entry? I put it in the file depot yesterday.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I'm no great fan of the points system, so my opinion of a given fortress will be based almost entirely on the style and layout, as stated before.

Toaster, Plankmortals

You seem to have done very well considering the location of your fort, but it will most likely have to be a point victory.  The layout is nondescript, with hallways and rooms placed as necessity demanded.  The fortress looks well-enough equipped for a goblin siege, but once the trolls come in you're going to have a rather nasty time unless your marksdwarves can kill them off before they reach the gap in the wall by the trade depot.   If they get inside, it's just two doors and two dogs beofre you've got trolls in the middle of your food stockpile.

The layout is somewhat cramped and not very easily expanded upon, but it's the natural way most folks will dig a fort if they didn't have something specific in mind.  6/10 is my rating.  Oh, by the way, there's a way to remove the pillars from the ends of the "42".  Build a door at the end of each, link the doors to a lever, and pull the lever.    

Yeah, I'm a hardass.  Can't help it.
</STRONG>

Thanks for the commentary!

Yeah, this fort's general layout is how most of my forts look, with a few differences.  The farms are a good bit larger on this one, for one.   I tried to break down what went on each level more instead of cramming more on one level, though the top level kind of backfired on that- it got a lot.  The lower levels show this better.  Think breaking it up helps or hinders?
I like the "central shaft" design, however.  I may make it 4x4 next time and widen the main hallways to 4 wide all around for a bit better traffic management.

As far as defense, I would have been a lot better off with the dozen or so dwarves that got killed in that awful ambush midway through, including three champions and a few more marksdwarves.  The fortification killzone I added completely failed to work- the marksdwarf and the goblins just stared at each other.  He had ammo, so I have no idea what the problem was.
The trade depot side door was kind of a test- it didn't work like I wanted it to work.  It also cost me a dwarf when a kobold snuck in that way and stole a masterwork, and even more when that brought on a kobold ambush.  It'd have to be highly redesigned- ideally with a long trap row or drawbridge or similar- before it worked as intended.   I did like the exterior woodshop idea though- I may tidy it up and use it again.

No problem with being a hardass- that's how things get done.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 28, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Riemann:
<STRONG>Just making sure: Did you guys get my entry? I put it in the file depot yesterday.</STRONG>

Post a link in this topic to make it easy to find, I'd say.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »

I'd like to suggest that people who drop out of the tournament or otherwise fail it might consider becoming jury members, to refresh any possible burnout.

And nah...No bonuses for failing to finish the whole period.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jamini:
<STRONG>Interestingly enough, I found where my entire population had relocated while adventuring. Including the dragon.

Apparently my entire population decided to move to the nearest human capital, taking it over from the local inhabitants. From there they proceeded to let out Ozo (my dragon) who promply began eating and killing people.

When I arrived I was able to witness twenty or so dwarves fighting a dragon in a very cold human city. It was strangly awesome.

Sadly, my adventurer's luck ran out after that. He fell prey to a pack of ice wolves who tore out his throat and brain in the first round of combat.

My legends page looks pretty cool though.</STRONG>

did they kill teh dragon dude? Or did he win?

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 28, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

What do you guys (participants and jury members) think of teh statue i made? It was my largest yet, I think next time I may just skip those points, it cost me too much dwarfpower,  soon after finishing it the ambushes started damn gobbos....
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 28, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

Well, *I* thought it was impressive and awesome.

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

I'm going to have to drop out of this tournament. I had two years left, enough time to do that in, when two goblin ambushes caught half of my dwarves outside and, well, for a while the bottom of my screen looked like this:

Urist McDwarfyDwarf has been struck down
Urist McDwarfDwarfy has been struck down
Urist DwarfyMcDwarf has been struck down
Urist DwarfMcDwarfy has been struck down
Urist DwarfyDwarfMc has been struck down
Urist DwarfDwarfyMc has been struck down

Enough dead dwarves to surely plummet me into the negatives. And not enough time to do another fort, so I'm out :/

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>

Post a link in this topic to make it easy to find, I'd say.</STRONG>

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=137

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »

Yeah, also I'm not thrilled about how the scoring and evaluation system that was advertised is not actually being used.

The point system advertised was already fairly biased towards one specific style of play but at least we knew about that bias from the start. These "evaluations" that are being posted so far have merely consisted of "how much does this guy play like I (wish I could) do?".

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Riemann:
<STRONG>Yeah, also I'm not thrilled about how the scoring and evaluation system that was advertised is not actually being used.

The point system advertised was already fairly biased towards one specific style of play but at least we knew about that bias from the start. These "evaluations" that are being posted so far have merely consisted of "how much does this guy play like I (wish I could) do?".</STRONG>

i THINK kagus just gave a general rank of his opinions on each fort, the jury has not decided, all of them will see each fort/

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 29, 2008, 02:06:00 am »

Wow, so much text, I'm happy I started this challenge, your efforts are amazing.
Besides this we are missing half the contestants, at least their savefiles.
So we'll have to wait a bit, whether some submit late, or we'll have to jump to the quarterfinals and this round wa completely useless  :( Tried nearly everything, but they aren't even displayed in the continuescreen.
Do different tilesets make savefiles unplayable?
I'm sure I'll find a solution soon.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 29, 2008, 02:42:00 am »

Yeah, I was just giving my personal rating for each fort.  In no way do I hold the final decision of the jury, and I'm not the one handling the points.

About Toaster's trade depot door:  it's not the door I'm talking about, it's the diagonal entryway just to the side of the door.  I saw the door sitting there with its weapon trap, but there was also a completely open space just a couple tiles away from it, where you had placed a watchdog chain behind the depot.

As for style improvements, I've gotta say that I'm a sucker for symmetry.  Something that looks organized and can be expanded upon easily, like a grid of sorts.  Something that looks planned.

I'll be taking a look at Riemann's fort in a little bit.  Also, where are all the other jurors?

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 29, 2008, 05:49:00 am »

tigerbunny- The files are generally compressed into zip files to be hosted on the DFFD. Try decompressing them and extracting them to the DF save files.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 29, 2008, 06:31:00 am »

Riemann, Boatsfloor

Impressive.  Very impressive.  Things are a bit unfinished, but you've got a solid layout and some very nice design features.  There are a few rooms that seem a bit empty, but looking at your other rooms I'm assuming that's just because you didn't have the time to fill them to your liking.

The engravings get a bit excessive in some of the noble rooms, and the place is mostly unsmoothed, but overall it's quite nice to look at.  8/10

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16