Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started  (Read 20218 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2008, 04:33:00 am »

and what about evaluating the extra points, like who got the prettiest architecture ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2008, 08:55:00 am »

Mid-Autumn of 1053.

I just negotiated a deal with the dwarven caravan. I'm pretty sure I got over 50000 monies worth of goods from them. They brought only four wagons. I still have a few thousand monies worth of trade goods left. I didn't even use any of my mugs in the trading :3

In fact, I think I'll offer some extra trade goods to my homeland now, for the sheer heck of it...

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2008, 02:00:00 pm »

Ok, I could go on for another season (winter, year 5) but I am sick of 15 FPS. Who should I sent this to?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2008, 02:15:00 pm »

just post it here

tomorrow the judges will collect them and start counting

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »

Ok, its up in that DF file depot site.

Note to judges: For some reason the titles on my military guys are all wonky. Since you for some reason have an unreasonable thing against wrestlers be sure to check the actual stills of each. There are are a couple listed as Elite Wrestler that also have legendary in a weapon. And a couple marksdwarves who have a higher wrestling skill so are listed as such.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »

Alright, mine's on the DFFD. Should be obvious, right on front of the community forts page.

I've only got two major problems right now. First, I embarked in a map with obsidian, and used the obsidian to build all the walls and bridges for my death trap. The result was 200k monies in architecture, which would be 200 points for me. That's a bit much.

Also, the playing time just seems to be too long. I couldn't finish all 5 years, and almost everyone else couldn't either. Could we scale back the time to 4 or 3 years? I think everybody could create a well-run effective fort in that time.

EDIT: here it is: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=138

[ April 27, 2008: Message edited by: GeneralValter ]

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »

Linky.

Couldn't finish the smiling faces completely, but you might see what I intended to do. The pressure plates on z -1 are set to trigger as 5 to 7 water.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »

Cramming. I would hate to be bounced in the elimination round though that may be inevitable, Oh why oh why did i fall in love wit a statue in a tournament?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

Ill try to finish year five soon, but it's just so slow.

I hate not using a population cap.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

I figure there will be at least 3 people who never turn in a fort, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting bumped this round.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

Before I submit my fort, I have to show this
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-535-championvsentireseige
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2008, 12:45:00 am »

Guess this is about as much as im getting done before midnight, I almost got to year five.

Note: I started at year 1051 because of another failed fortress. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=139

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2008, 01:24:00 am »

I'm no great fan of the points system, so my opinion of a given fortress will be based almost entirely on the style and layout, as stated before.

Toaster, Plankmortals

You seem to have done very well considering the location of your fort, but it will most likely have to be a point victory.  The layout is nondescript, with hallways and rooms placed as necessity demanded.  The fortress looks well-enough equipped for a goblin siege, but once the trolls come in you're going to have a rather nasty time unless your marksdwarves can kill them off before they reach the gap in the wall by the trade depot.   If they get inside, it's just two doors and two dogs beofre you've got trolls in the middle of your food stockpile.

The layout is somewhat cramped and not very easily expanded upon, but it's the natural way most folks will dig a fort if they didn't have something specific in mind.  6/10 is my rating.  Oh, by the way, there's a way to remove the pillars from the ends of the "42".  Build a door at the end of each, link the doors to a lever, and pull the lever.    

Jamini, the Sorrow of Fire

Holy carp that's a lot of engravings.   Between the excessive cage/weapon traps; the positively rampant engraving; the catapults in the dining rooms, throne rooms and tombs of some of your dwarves; the slighlty unimaginative stripmining projct; and the vast, empty rooms with a speck or two of furniture in them to cover the most basic of requirements, there's a little tickling at the back of my mind that this isn't going to get many points for style.

However, it's a veritable powerhouse.  Overall, I give it 5/10.  I would've given 4, but the combination of a pet dragon, an arena to put that dragon in, "sculpted ice" walls, the fact that yu're flooding the bottom level with magma, and the symmetric layout of floor -6 pushed it up to 5/10.

GeneralValter, Channeledequaled

Wow, haha.  That's, um...  Spacious?  Pouncing pachyderms that's a crazy layout.

The first couple of layers brought to mind thoughts of rat or kobold warrens (not necessarily a bad thing), the rest are just huge caverns with junk stuffed in them until you reach the stripmining project.  All throughout these stone layers are coffins that are set up when someone happens to snuff it, with seemingly no rhyme or reason as to their placement.  

The place probably could've been turned into something better if there was enough time to iron out the oddities, but as it stands now it's just a chaotic jumbled heap of dwarves, statues, and narrow rhesus macaque leather loincloths.  4/10

Boksi, Ancientfences

Not much to say, really.  Effective, but rather dull.  +1 rating point for the waterworks, the dwarf mosaics, and for covering an entire room in blood.  6/10

EDIT: Torak, Chaoscomets

Not bad, not bad.  There's a bit of crowding in the dining room, the workshops are all bunched together, and your fort's entrance isn't all that inspiring but tere are some nice touches.  I particularly like your dungeon master's tomb, and the cave-in trap over the crypt entrance. Your stripmining project is also slightly less annoying, but it's still not that purty to look at.   The bedrooms are stuffed into each other, and there are some vast mined-out areas that look a little funky, but things even out a bit.  You've got some nice areas, but the fortress on the whole just isn't ironed out.  7/10

That one tomb is about the only place I've ever seen floor detailing actually look alright.  I would like to notifiy you, however, that the cave-in trap won't actually work.  The wall-chunk sitting above the pillars is connected to the layer above, and thus won't fall.

---

Yeah, I'm a hardass.  Can't help it.

[ April 28, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2008, 02:18:00 am »

So here is my entry.  It is quite incomplete but due to all the death the immigration waves have stopped.  Nobles never showed up.  I am quite disapointed, I should maybe have restarted somewhere else but here goes nothing...
http://www.savefile.com/files/1527867

This is quite incomplete, there is shit scattered everywhere, my workshops are  mess, i planned on organizing everything in year 5, but ran out of time.  too much to do to little time and too many damn ambushes and too low fps, hahahahaha.

Blah, hopefully I make it to the next round...

Pics of the damn statue....

[ April 28, 2008: Message edited by: I3erent ]

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2008, 02:19:00 am »

DFFD fought me tooth and nail, it wouldn't even accept my valid email address!

That was really painful.  I just barely got to spring of 1054...Yes, that's just over THREE years finished.  Ouch.  I should have turned off weather/temperature sooner, and not been so ambitious.

The Table was supposed to be fully carved out of stone, but as it stands I barely even cleared the top off.  Next time will need a much less ambitious project.

The only saving grace here is a ton of engravings.  There would have been a lot more--My plan was going to be to make the whole fort nothing but engravers, masons and miners (with one gem-dwarf and one stud-dwarf) for the last two years, but wishes are not horses!

Linky: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=140

Self-scoring:

*NO* embark bonuses/penalties
Zero-scoring categories not listed
booze, per 100:                    1 * 1   = 1
architecture, per 800 monies:    1 * 682 = 682
furniture, per 7000 monies:      1 * 44  = 44
other objects, per 10000 monies: 1 * 15  = 15
artifacts:                       1 * 3   = 3
dwarfs (alive):                  1 * 59  = 59
dwarfs (dead):                  -1 * 4   = -4
satisfied nobles:               30 * 5   = 150
kittens, per 12:                 1 * 1   = 1

...Hitting half a million in architecture by the end of the third year has to count for something, right?

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16