Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started  (Read 20222 times)

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »

First immigrant wave: ~22. I'm not even sure, I stopped counting at 20. This will be interesting.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2008, 04:00:00 am »

oh yeah, I've forgot to answer that question:
You'll don't have to dehydrate your dwarves, as you can see on page ~3 waterskins aren't in anymore.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

Holy crap, I completely forgot about this!

Glad I have two weeks- I can do five years in a week, no problem.

File is downloaded, preparing to find the most awesomely awesome site...

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »

Ok, phew. I was wondering if the fortresses would be due tomorrow or sunday. I just took over the chasm challenge, so I'll be a little while longer before I finish.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2008, 11:34:00 pm »

The Factional Works
Foreman's Log
Late 1050

So I've entered into this noble's little tournament.  Winning this is a great way to
impress some hot babes, so I've got to get cracking.  I'll round up a few good lads, and
head out to make a name for myself.

I've been eavesdropping on the other contestants discussing where they're headed off to
find their fortune.  Bunch of pansies!  They all need magma, and are whining about how
there are few sites with it!  Ha!  They must not have read the scoring rules!  Let's see
here?

No magma?  Check!
Undead area?  Check!
No water?  Check!

We haven't even struck the earth and I'm already up 75 points!  Maybe I'll have elephants
too- the area's pretty wild.  I wish the spot had no elven access- getting 10 more points
and not having to deal with those pointy-eared twerps is a win-win, the way I see it.

The spot's a nice area where the Cheerful Prairie butts up to the Acrid Horns on the west
side of the mountain range.  Who knows what there might be down in the deeps.

I'll be headed out soon to stake my claim.  This round shouldn't be too bad- it's only for
weeding out the chumps.

The roster is mostly standard, but I've tweaked it after taking the scoring into
consideration.

First off is a miner with enough social skills to make a good leader.  Next is a
mason/architect- it's near impossible to train a good one of those up, especially in just 5
years.  Next comes a carpenter good with an axe- both against trees and living targets.  
The toolman is next- a mechanic and stone crafter.  The most important dwarf is next- the
brewer!  This gal's a bit of an odd-job dwarf as well, which should fill in those early
skill holes.  Too bad she's kind of a nervous bitch.  Next I found an awesome cook who's
also a farmer.  Let's hope he can handle both duties.  Last I found a hunter who's a pretty
good shot with a crossbow.  I hope he can handle any threats.

As far as stocks, I brought plenty of food, plenty of seeds, plenty of booze, some logs and
some coal just in case, and LOTS of good hearty dwarven beer.  I do love beer.

I think that about covers it.  Next entry should be at the settlement!

The Factional Works
Foreman's Log
1st Granite, 1051

We're here, and it's mostly as I expected it to be.  A bit hillier than expected, but we
can work with that.  A quick scan of the site does not show the magnetite deposits I was
hoping for, but I do see a hematite.  We're rolling in chalk, so we'll have steel up in a
jiffy.  On that note, I see a lignite deposit not far from where we parked the wagon, so
we're at least a little covered there.  Bauxite, too, but I can't say I have much of a use
for that.  There's a half-decent number of trees here as well.  There's no wildlife around,
from what I can see.  I believe we'll strike the earth right near the wagon, just as soon
as I pass out the picks.

The lads are calling this place Shemtunom, Plankmortal.  I didn't ask why.

6th Slate
Work continues as it should.  Lolor Gulfpulleys is a monster with a crossbow.  By my count,
he's brought in 14 kills, over half of which are horses.  He probably would have brought in
more if the last 5 or so kills hadn't been bludgeoned to death with his crossbow.  A dwarf
has to have guts to bludgeon a horse to death.  I've taken him off hunting until we can
deal with the kill backlog and make him some more bolts.
The food stockpile is dug out and stocked.  Workshops are set up temporarily outside the
main gate to handle initial jobs (mostly dealing with the corpse pile) for the fort.  
Bedrooms will soon be dug out and prepared.

15th Slate
črith Wheelbuck, the carpenter, put down the bed he was carrying to a bedroom to go to
sleep.  Sigh.

12th Felsite
There's lots of bauxite here.  Where's my magnetite?

8th Hematite
I've commissioned a dining room, which shall soon become filled with wine, women, and song-
except that six of the seven dwarves here are asleep.

3rd Galena
I retract all complaints about the bauxite.  The main entrance is now protected by the Red
Gate, rubies were discovered while digging out a hallway, and the dining room is an epic
red color.  A table and chair pattern will be my entry into the mosaic portion of the
contest, even though it's not strictly qualified by the rules.  Hopefully it'll sway the
hearts of the judges.

1st Limestone
Autumn approaches.  While it's still quite hot, the heat isn't as bad now.  Any day now the
caravan from home should be arriving.  We're quite ready for it, as Endok Fordwire, our
stonecrafter, has been cranking out crafts like there's no tomorrow.  I sincerely hope
there's an anvil among the wagons, as I'd like to get our metalworks started soon... even
though all we have is that one hematite deposit so far.  We're drowning in chalk though, so
steel will be no problem.  Food and drink supplies are holding steady.

That's the first half year.  It's really a lot quieter than I thought it would be.  It's half untamed wilds grassland, half terrifying mountain, but all I've seen are groundhogs, hoary marmots, horses, and a single giant eagle that didn't cause any trouble.  I was hoping for tons of magnetite, as that means platinum, but I haven't seen any yet- not that I've had time for deep exploratory shafts.  I hope the first immigrant wave is early, because there's plenty of hauling to do.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

hey! "the chumps" take offense at that!  :(

My devious trap system is under way. Expect spikes, magma, bridges, crossbowdwarves, and pain.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

I hate to double post, but this is somewhat important.

Exports no longer count under your fortress wealth. Since crafts and furniture which I trade are worth points if I keep them and not worth points if I don't keep them, shouldn't the exports be counted too? Maybe 1 point per 1000 points of export. It would also encourage people to be in maps which have access to more civilizations, which would increase the difficulty, or at least make things more varied.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

(Edit for length)

Settled in a flat spot with trees and magma.  Bit off WAY more than I could chew.  Slowly ramping up to full architectural production, discovering that too many miners spoil the channeling job (and since they don't spread out that means mining is WAY slower than I wanted).  Got ambushed at the end of the second year, with no traps or militia, and am expecting things to turn out VERY badly.  Losing is fun, and way more so when you have a reason to keep going anyway!

Also, it takes about an hour a season or more on my computer.  Blah.  Maybe will turn temperature off, or something.

[ April 21, 2008: Message edited by: Sowelu ]

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »

I'm still only at winter 1052  :(

But on the plus side, project "Smiling Faces" has begun. I won't say much about it, but for now, I'll call it an ambidextrous project...

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

Are you really considering 25 points for each legendary dwarf? I could work for all five years just making legendary crafts and furniture, lavishing my fortress with minced dwarven milk roasts, creating a functional model of the apollo 7, and still lose to a guy with 6 legendary wrestlers.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2008, 08:58:00 pm »

Bah ive lost many legendary dwarves to death, not hard to get em.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »

General valter check your pm.

hahahahahaha fancy notification system I have developed for Pm's!

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »

The Factional Works
Foreman's Log

3rd Limestone, 1051
The miners were looking a bit slack today, so I ordered the stairwells of the main shaft dug all the way to the deep bedrock.  So far we've found kaolinite, but here's hoping we find useful metals in the deeps.

17th Limestone
The caravan is here, and we have gotten many items of value, including a nice stock of food and drink, two, yes two, anvils, and several other items of use.  Chalk crafts must be the rage back home.

22nd Sandstone
Oh bloody hell- a thief got in somehow and stole a masterwork chalk idol made by Endok.  He's currently too stunned to really react, but I hope he gets over it- we *really* can't afford to lose him.

4th Timber
Endok has been "on break" ever since his idol went missing, and now he's throwing a tantrum in his room.  He needs to get over it.

6th Timber
Great.  He broke his bed, knocked over a workshop, STOMPED the cat, and kicked over a chair.

11th Timber
Endok is back in his workshop, cranking out more works.  He's still pissy, but I think doing all that damage made him feel better.  I don't think the cat's ever going to walk straight again, though.  He keeps passing out, too.

13th Timber
Argh, rhesus macaques!

1st Obsidian
Well, looks like I won't have the war dogs guarding the entrance in time.  Another masterwork item got stolen, and this time Endok snapped.  He ran around the fort drooling for a while, then missed a step when he got to the main shaft... We'll entomb him in stone.

1st Granite, 1052
A new year has arrived, and the population is a lowly six.  I really hope we're able to attract some migrants soon, because there's plenty of work to do.  I've got a plan on how to win this tournament, but I need more dwarfpower to even get past the first round.

13th Granite
Something smells like dirt and treesap- oh look, here come the elves!  Hopefully I can bilk them out of any useful crap they have.

14th Granite
Trouble now- a kobold ambush!  It's only a half-dozen with swords, but even a short stinking amateur swinging a blade around can accidentally hurt the enemy.  Hopefully they'll see the elves first.

16th Granite
"Only a half-dozen with swords."  I look back at these words and weep, because I completely
missed the ones with bows.  Lolor is dead, črith is dead, five dogs are dead, morale is low.  A couple dead elves is the only consolation.  We are merely four now- we need support!

25th Granite
Cerol Paddleled is a maddwarf.  We're knee deep in corpses, four dwarves strong, and he's throwing a party?  Has he no morals?

28th Slate
Now Melbil Craftedfind, the brewer, is throwing a tantrum... in her sleep.  I hope I can pull this fort through.

10th Felsite
Migrants sited!  We are saved!  Eighteen in all, most of which are useless- but even a useless dwarf can get this hauling done.  I drafted six of them, one to be a marksdwarf, the rest to be wrestlers until we can get some real equipment for them.  There's some wooden crap the elves so generously donated to our cause- they can train with that.  Of note we got a replacement stonecrafter, and a dwarf who knows his way around a forge.  He seems to be a single father as well- don't see many of those.

1st Hematite
Summer has arrived without much fanfare.  Work continues on getting everything running smoothly.  I've opened up another field for planting, so food won't be a problem anytime soon.  I'll need to remember to keep an eye on the booze as well- there's no water out here.

20th Hematite
The humans are here, and looking to get rich off us poor sucker dwarves.  Time to show them a thing or two about trading.

Likot Valleyanvils is acting very strangely.  His eyes look like he's not all there.  He marched off to the clothier's shop and is now muttering about cloth... and maybe gems?  I'll see if I can get him some cloth from the humans.

Late Summer
We're being plagued by dark gnomes, so I've sent out the squad to crush them.  They're really not a threat, so 5 wrestlers with a half-clue how to fight shouldn't have a shred of trouble.

I was right- they're all dead or run off now.  Some real experience in the bargain!

Early Autumn
Likot snapped.  Much like the previous head case, he ran around babbling, then tripped down the main shaft.  May he rest in piece.

The caravan has arrived.  Our works may not be as individually high quality, but we sure do have a lot of them.

20th Sandstone
I've issued the squad real weapons.  Swords for the troops, and a hammer for the sarge, Műthkat.  They shouldn't do *too* much damage to each other with them, since they've had a little training, and the swords are only the crap wood ones the elves... donated.  The hammer's not ready yet, but it'll be good dwarven steel, once it's actually smelted.

9th Timber
Dodok, our new hunter, is now our second dead hunter, after he fancied his eagle meat.  I'm sure his death was a release, since he's lying in the field next to his legs, both removed at the knee.  He shall be interred in our crypt.

16th Timber
Dodok's right lower leg was buried first.  I always thought hunters had one foot in the grave, har har.

23rd Timber
I hope the next migrant wave comes soon.  There's too much hauling to do.  On a happier note, our new stonecrafter Ablel Tradelaws is pretty Talented now.  He just finished his first masterwork item.

11th Opal
Geshud Boottrades, our marksdwarf, felled Lerethurlush, the giant eagle.  Sweet revenge.

6th Obsidian
GOLD!!!  Down in the deeps, we've hit a gold vein!  I knew expanding the main shaft and branching off lower would pay off!  The dwarven babes will flock to me!

13th Obsidian
Ral's a hell of a miner.  In a single week, he's drained the gold vein, netting 81 gold nuggets, and a handful of gems alongside the vein.  We'll have to get smelting on this ore- fame and fortune awaits!

1st Granite, 1052
Spring!  Our third year has begun.  In six months time, our little fortress will be halfway to its end point.  We number twenty now.  Hopefully that number will continue to rise as time passes.  I must win this contest!  How else can I pick up chicks?

I almost abandoned when the population dropped to 4, but it's turned around now.  Those dead dwarves will hurt my points a bit, but I shouldn't be hurting too badly for them this go-around.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

Biggest "Oh shit" moment in my DF carrerr.

Realizing that Kobald Ambushes avoid traps like their thieves...

Thank goodness I have a rather robust War Dog population. (And the fact that Kobald Swordskobalds SUCK compared to even the most raw of recruits. One of these days I think I will make a Kobald fortress just for a challenge... >.> )

[ April 21, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »

Swordkobolds aren't much (they have copper weapons, like the thieves), but bowkobolds are still nasty bastards.  You do NOT want a bowkobold ambush when you have a population of six.  It nearly killed my fort.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16