Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wrackedmoon - Meddling in Things Dwarf Was Not Meant to  (Read 3439 times)

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
Wrackedmoon - Meddling in Things Dwarf Was Not Meant to
« on: June 07, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

So, long-time player, first time poster. In honor of the recently concluded Megabeast week, I decided it was high time to begin advancing the little understood science of Applied Biology. The results follow.

quote:

DODOK ARCETH, OFFICIAL NOTICE OF RECOMMENDATION
TO: His Majesty Deduk Sarveshgurded, King of Dodok Arceth
RE: The Umbral Organization

Following the events of 5th Hematite, 1049, I have determined that the experiments in lava flow carried out by the Umbral Organization are too dangerous for practice within inhabited areas. After meeting with high-ranking Umbral representatives, we have signed a deal allowing Umbral to establish their research projects on the condition that they do so as far from the Mountainhomes as dwarvenly possible.

To that end, we have selected a site in the uncivilized mountain ranges west of the Scintillating Sea. The site has been chosen due to the close proximity of an active magma vent and a nearby river. Any accusations that it was chosen due to the close proximity of several goblin towers are, of course, complete fabrications.

Within the next few months, Umbral will be dispatching a team of six dwarves to establish a small settlement on this site. Official documents currently refer to this site as "Wrackedmoon." These dwarves will be under the guidance of a representative of the Crown. I respectfully submit that Catten Keskaltunom be chosen for this duty. I will, of course, be happy to take up his duties as Mayor following his embarkation.

- Reg Kandomas

Additional Note: Our first reports concerning the mountains surrounding Wrackedmoon claim that they are haunted. This is clearly ridiculous, as our secondary surveyors have found no evidence of undead in the surrounding regions, but a close examination of Umbral records found that the latter survey was not on their files. This concerns me.

Expedition Leader's Report, 1st Granite, 1050
I would like to humbly submit that His Majesty has a very warped sense of humor.

Our team of seven arrived at the site today, only to discover that our preliminary surveys seem to have made a grave error. Not only is the magma vent... er... not here (we believe it may be underground), but the river seems to have been frozen completely prior to our arrival. Fortunately, we have an adequate supply of alcohol, and our scouts have located what appears to be an underground river on the other side of the mountain. Unfortunately, it appears to be infested with lizardmen. We have also located two chasms, a larger one at the western edge of the mountain and a smaller one on the eastern edge.

We've begun constructing an initial settlement, with an entrance within one of the peaks. There is a thick layer of silt just below the plateau west of the peak that we believe will be suitable for farming. We've also begun collecting wood from the surface of the plateau, and have tore down our wagon for additional wood. I guess we're in for the duration.

I don't trust our Umbral friends, I'm afraid. Most of them seem to be deliberately avoiding me. The only one who has approached me directly is one of the miners. Hopefully I can work my way into the others' confidence.

- Your Loyal Servant, Reg Kandomas, Expedition Leader, Outpost of Wrackedmoon

Okay, what exactly is going on here, newbie?
Wrackedmoon is an attempt to pioneer dwarven advancements in Applied Biology. Specifically, by creating an elaborate secret underground research facility where the relative strengths of goblins, megabeasts, and various kinds of local monsters can be assessed, thus allowing us to create the perfect biological weapon.

You DO realize what usually happens to secret underground research facilities, right?
I'm counting on it.

"Umbral Organization?" What the hell is wrong with you?
It was easier to get an Umbrella Corporation pun out of the name generator than it was to get an Aperture Science one.

How are you going to do this?
I'm playing v0.27.176.38c, unmodified except for giving dragons, bronze colossi, and hydras the [CANLEARN] tag.

Dwarf me?
Sure, why not?

Note that all weapons-carrying migrants, animal caretakers/traders, and mechanics, along with all the initial dwarves save Reg are Umbral employees (security, scientists, and technicians, respectively). The Dungeon Master, when he arrives, will be the chief researcher. If you want to be an Umbral Security/Researcher/Tech/Whatever and I run out of appropriate migrants, I'll give a peasant the appropriate labors and hand you over.

Your first post is a community/story fort? Are you sure you know what you're doing?
At the very least, I will fail gloriously.

When can we expect the first update?
In about a week or so. Exams.

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wrackedmoon - Meddling in Things Dwarf Was Not Meant to
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »

Dibbs on the Dungeon Master when he arrives.
The Glorious Dungeon Master Aardvark. I want him to train dragons and such if the possibility arrises

[ June 07, 2008: Message edited by: Aardvark ]

Harlemagne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

Long-time player, first time poster here too. This sounds really sweet. I call one of the Umbral Organization flunkies. The mechanic if you got one.

Good luck

Obsidian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »

Can I have an Umbral Employee? Doesn't matter which kind. This fort looks promising, want to get in on it while I can.
Obsidian cancels common sense: Interrupted by insanity
!!carp!!

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 04:12:00 am »

This sounds like fun!

If possible I'd like an animal caretaker/scientist type - just a lab assistant rather than a head scientist, so he gets a fair amount of the dirty/dangerous jobs, and hence a chance to wrestle with the animals, rather than just work on his report-writing skills.

His name is Igor and his greatest ambition is to have get killed in a rather extreme way (reactor failure, outbreak of virulent disease etc.) and have the cause of death named after him.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 03:22:00 am »

Catena, a metalcrafter, armorer, or furnace operator.

In charge of insuring that all restraints and/or protective armoring are of a grade decent enough for the task they are required for.

Sparrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 07:00:00 am »

Requesting Umbral Researcher. Preferred specimen: Chasm Monsters.

Electrum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 08:42:00 am »

Could I have a Miner/Engraver? I'm sure this place could use some pictoral history... Someone else if you don't have one of these. Name her Celå, please?

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »

Could I get a dwarf with the position of sheriff as soon as the population is high enough? Preferably male, with the name Kermit.
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »

I'll take a peasant by the name of "Guy" if possible.  He's an extra and it's fine if he dies.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »

Ooh! I call a scientist! You know, the guy who sits and watches the experiments occur.

Basically, the Philosopher is mine.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »

I'll take one of the support personnel (a farmer or butcher, as I suspect you'll end up with both), perhaps the bookkeeper if you aren't assigning senior staff to that job.  Have him practice hitting things with maces on occasion too.  You know, for "exercise."
"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »

Can I have a Umbral Security guard
Name him Newb and let him use a battle ax (he can be the wood cutter if you need him early in the fortress)
since I was the first to ask for a Security guard
can he be the lead Security guard.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 01:26:00 am »

Can I claim an incoming researcher at some point? Specifically, one with an idea for something every evil enterprise needs...

Name: Dr. Motaval (The PhD is in Applied Volcanic Physics, not medicine)
Profession: Miner, Mason, Smith, or Mechanic. (in order to get in on the pet project)

Pet Project: The Magma Reactor - a hollow stone tube built in a wide, open shaft at least eight Z-levels high; the bigger, the better. Surround the tube with emergency access stairs, lava ducts and catwalks (although note that the project has no budget for safety features, like railings and covered pipes). A control room, separated from the top of the great shaft by a clear glass wall, is filled with levers (You could put in a desk and also have it serve as an office for a Reactor Supervisor). Each lever controls a magmaproof mechanism to release magma from the reactor through a series of open aqueducts on various levels, into the vital systems of the complex. Build a system of powered bauxite pumps to flood the tube with magma from the volcano, when you find it. Put a hole in the bottom of the tube to flood the floor of the cavern with magma. Just make sure you make anything besides walls and floors out of bauxite, iron, and steel, or it'll melt. And it's probably a bad plan to put the lava in till you know it will all work...

Potential applications: Feed for magma pits, forge supply, heat source for prototype booze bombs and steam traps, source for lavafalls, and of course, hi-energy biomatter experimentation.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: bigmcstrongmuscle ]

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 04:58:00 am »

Hmmm, I'd appreciate having one of the first peasant immigrants.  Just train 'em in wrestling and give 'em all the dangerous jobs.

Of course, if said chosen dwarf has any preference for a particular weapon or armour, go ahead and let them equip that.  Otherwise clothes and unarmed!

I think I should request a modest tomb.

Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?
Pages: [1] 2