Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo  (Read 18314 times)

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
Re: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2008, 09:30:58 am »

=Events as they occurred, 18th of Limestone, 1061=

Sibrek knelt down beside a scattering of charcoal and ashes. There was a crude circle of stones and the dirt around it was scattered with signs of goblinfolk. Pushing the ashes aside using her copper gauntlets, Sibrek found what she had feared, the bone of a child. Besmar stood behind her and offered a quiet prayer to the gods, before looking Southwestward toward the cliffs around Zirilzuntîr. From this vantage point, one could see most of the area without being too obvious. Even on a dark night with a campfire roaring, Besmar doubted anyone in the fortress would spot this place without knowing where to look.

“Sarbun was right, there were goblins camped in these hills for a few weeks, and Medob knew about it. They were spotted by the caravan during the journey in. Medob wanted to send Zas IUrdimmegid alone to investigate but the others convinced him it was foolishness… Everything is holding up under scrutiny.” Sibrek motioned to Ezum Othsinmeng, the marksdwarf who accompanied them, who grabbed a pair of shovels from the saddles of one of the three donkeys that the party had ridden thus far. Handing one to Sibrek, the two began to dig.

Besmar rubbed his nose between two fingers as he thought. After a few moments he shared his thoughts with the others. “Medob is less a fool than I thought. The five guards sent with him are very loyal to the king. Medob is loyal only to his pockets, and there’s no money to be had in transporting steel for the militia. Sarbun told you that King Lamokol sent the five to insure Medob’s loyalty, and that Medob has tried at every turn the get them “accidentally” killed… I’d say his actions alone prove that much.”

A half hour later they dropped the remaining bones of the child Likot into the shallow grave, and made their way home.

~~~Diary of Besmar Melbilamal, Army supply officer, 1061~~~

-19th of Limestone

Medob sent his remaining guards to kill the other goblin squad, much to my annoyance. Surprisingly they did a splendid job offing them without dying. I expressed my personal thanks to them. No thanks to Medob of course… He clearly is trying to get all of his guardsmen killed and I won’t let that happen. I’ve arranged a meeting with the final three, Melbil Avaleral, Swordsdwarf, Melbil Degelasdug, Marksdwarf, and Zas IUrdimmegid, Macedwarf. I need to see how loyal they really are.
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2008, 11:30:17 am »

<Cough> <Cough> <Deathtrap> <Cough> <Zombify> <Cough> <Cough>

Or a caged hydra might work.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Hadriel

• Bay Watcher
  • M- Medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2008, 02:34:18 pm »

Story's good so far, how's my dwarf doing?
Urist McDwarf: 'Ey, Kogan. You're now known as Assbutt in human.
Kogan McDwarf: Damnit!
"Urist McMayor likes copper for its lustre, giant olms, and talking to small pebbles.  He has trouble opening doors.  He needs alcohol to get through breakfast."

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2008, 05:45:49 pm »

Those darn seed cookies. Oh well, is possession nine-tenths of the law in the local dwarven society?
Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2008, 10:44:16 pm »

Can i have a male marksdwarf called Zak please?

I really want to get into this ofrtress because a lot of the other ones that i read are slow or have problems in posting, no offence guys!

Great thread by the way, i love how you name parts of the terrain after players as well! Something that needs to happen more often i think!

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2008, 11:46:31 pm »

Ah sleepless nights... Haven't decided if I want to write what I currently have prepared or play a few months to get more content. I've got a ton of great ideas swimming in my head and I think it's for that reason that I am sleepless...

Looking at the recent development log it seems that Toady might be making a new release soon, and given the content that goes into it, it may require a world rebuild...

My intent was always to take Zirilzuntir into the army arc one way or another, and if it requires a world rebuild I will do my best to make the transition smooth story-wise.

For those of you anxiously awaiting immagrants I ask that you wait just a smidge more (= I'm going to assign each of you to one of the next immagration wave regardless of if anyone fits directly.
I have started Cookie into the militia training with a spear, as requested. Other projects in the fort are proceeding slowly, due to the large number of jobs to be done and several big projects including the dining hall waterfall as well as the new guard tower (which will require a bit of construction both underground and above to make most efficiant)
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2008, 12:00:35 am »

~~~Diary of Besmar Olonmuzish, Army supply officer, 1061~~~

-24th of Limestone

I have learned of the death of Kivish, the young dwarf who was learning to trade with the merchants when other tasks kept me indisposed. Apparently he was gathering stone from the cavern when Shecedaroth, the fearsome Giant Bat, brought him to his doom. A war dog was taken down as well. Danger lurks everywhere in this mountain. I will attempt to send the militia into the caverns to take care of this threat but first they need a rest from the recent goblin raids.

On a personal note, I have taken a love interest. The marksdwarf Ezum Othsinmeng and I have spent many hours together since our trip to the goblin camps, and we share a lot in common… Apparently even an old dwarf such as I can find love, even in a faraway place such as this.

-28th of Limestone

I’m afraid my duties as fortress army supply officer and unofficial commander have come in conflict with my personal feelings toward another dwarf…  Ezum Othsinmeng was charged with Disorderly conduct today. Apparently Ruefus made a gesture that made ezum jealous. My lover threw a tantrum, broke into Ruefus’s room and woke her from her sleep. Then she kicked a war dog on her way out before finally calming down and coming to reason. She is the first dwarf to break the rules of dwarven law, and in spite of my feelings for her, she is to be punished…  Ushat Thobkin, our captain of the guard, ordered a beating and 26 days in prison.

-2nd of Sandstone

I have gathered all of the information I need to form an official opinion and charge against Medob… For now, he is oblivious to my investigation, and it is best to keep up appearances. I officially submitted the steel items to be sent to the king. I also gave Medob an excellent price for his food, cloth (including silk), wood, gems, bars, and a few other essentials that we need in the fortress. In return, I gave him nearly all of our stone crafts. He was so pleased with the transaction that he has not noticed the change in attitude of all around him, including his own guards.
Soon we will make our arrest. First, there is a pit to be dug.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2008, 03:32:31 am »

Great work! Could I ask for the hammerer when he/she comes to Zirilzuntir. If that is not possible, any of the annoying nobles associated with dwarven economy will do. As for his/her name, Onul Zanegtad should suit.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2008, 11:57:22 am »

=Events as they occurred, 4th of Sandstone, 1061=

Besmar’s eyes ran up and down the wording of the royal decree as he tried his best to hide his anger and disgust. Mebol wasn’t a great liar, and had Besmar cared to look he would have seen the swine grinning with glee at the idea of the free steel weapons and armor that Besmar would be tricked into making. Besmar nearly tore the note to shreds in anger before he found the tiny flaw he had been looking for. The note was perfect, even sealed with what must have been a stolen copper signet ring on a wax imprint, but for one small detail…

~~~~~
To Besmar Tometaught, Chief supply officer of Zirilzuntîr,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to the crown. Your continued service in supplying steel weapons and arms to the war effort is paramount to the success and survival of our race. Please deliver no fewer than 10 Steel Plate armors and 1000 steel bolts to the merchant Mebol Pocketjingles, who is my trusted servant and ally, at the return of his caravan one year from this date. Failure to do so will result in extreme disciplinary actions.

King Kosoath Lamokole

~~~~~

Besmar began to laugh, as he handed the official note to Kira, pointing his finger toward a small discrepancy. Kira joined in the laughter and passed the note on to Mebol’s guards. The three of them did not laugh, but they were no less excited as they each drew their weapons and surrounded Mebol. The color drained from the dwarf’s face as he realized something had gone terribly wrong with his plan.

“Mebol, next time ye hire someone to forge the king’s signature, either make sure it’s a dwarf or at least make sure they spell ‘is name right.” Besmar grinned wide as he folded his arms, the fear in Mebol’s face reminding him of that of the Baron Shorast from the mountainhomes when he was sentenced so many years ago. “Search him, and then throw him in the pit!”

Zas IUrdimmegid struck Mebol in the face with the handle of his iron mace, and the traitor blacked out. When he came to he found himself in a pit with naught but a few stones and a hole above him, where Besmar stood waving a letter.

“Ach lad, ten steel plate mails and one thousand steel bolts we canna’ do. The king only wanted two plate mails and two hundred bolts though, good thing ye kept the original or I wouldn’t know how many to send!” Besmar laughed down at the prisoner again before turning to walk down the long dirt hall that separated the new dungeon from the main fortress. Mebol cursed and screamed, but the only dwarf in earshot was going off to appoint someone else to be the new fortress trader.

-14th of Sandstone

Zas, as leader of the merchant guards, informed me that the duty falls to me as fortress overseer to appoint a replacement merchant since Mebol is…no longer available. It is with great joy that I have chosen Sarvesh Ropepicks, a young woman who is fiercely loyal to the king and has a beard for business. The merchants are packing their goods now, heading east to a human town before the return trip south.
There are a number of other small things to note…

-Our Dungeon Master Hadriel is helping out by smelting pig iron. I have promised to put up a few cage traps designed to catch some of the local wildlife. Of particular note are the Giant bats.

-Shecedaroth was finally slain by a pack of wardogs, so hopefully the caverns will be a tad safer.

-Someone killed a Sasquatch and made its bones into a crossbow. I didn’t even know there were such creatures on the mountain, but I am told it stood a good eight feet tall when it lived.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:59:09 am by DoctrZombie »

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2008, 03:34:12 pm »

The new version is released! Unfortunately dwarves appear to be sleeping forever...Doh!
As soon as the major bugs are ironed out I will be doing my best to figure out a good way to rotate ZZ into the new version.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 14, 2008, 07:01:14 pm »

Until the sleeping is fixed, you could add [NOSLEEP] to the dwarves in the raws, wont quite be the same, but it will let you keep playing, plus I don't think that it will need a rebuild or anything since you just edit an existing entry rather than add a new one.

Hadriel

• Bay Watcher
  • M- Medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 14, 2008, 07:48:08 pm »

-Our Dungeon Master Hadriel is helping out by smelting pig iron. I have promised to put up a few cage traps designed to catch some of the local wildlife. Of particular note are the Giant bats.

-Someone killed a Sasquatch and made its bones into a crossbow. I didn’t even know there were such creatures on the mountain, but I am told it stood a good eight feet tall when it lived.

Is it possible to put the tag in their files so they can be war trainable? I eager to see them in combat agains those damn green-skins.
Urist McDwarf: 'Ey, Kogan. You're now known as Assbutt in human.
Kogan McDwarf: Damnit!
"Urist McMayor likes copper for its lustre, giant olms, and talking to small pebbles.  He has trouble opening doors.  He needs alcohol to get through breakfast."

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2008, 06:11:43 am »

Both interesting concepts. I'll take a look at what I can do with the new version and our current region (backing it up again first of course) and if we need to add a few tags to get it working(mostly) then I can do that no trouble.

As for the bats and sasquatch, as soon as we've got somthing captured I'll change the raws. Makes perfect sense to me that the dungeon master would be working with whatever is at hand.

Provided she lives through the most recent fortress event.... =D

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2008, 05:00:40 pm »

Work was absolutely nutty today and shows no signs that it'll lighten up later this week. If that's the case and I don't get a chance to post I will desperately try to post the rest of the content pre-upgrade this weekend.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2008, 10:37:24 am »

-26th of Sandstone

A new wave of immigrants has come to us, but their numbers are very few. I spoke with the leader, a marksdwarf by the name of Zak. His tale was grim… Apparently these migrants came from the mountainhomes. Fighting there has gotten harsh and the weapons I have sent will doubtlessly see much action over the coming months. This group was originally around twenty, but was ambushed by the green filth southeast of here… Now only 7 dwarves remain, with a few pets…

2 fisherdwarfs --> Ghib, Dwarfaholic
1 peasant  --> Marksdwarf / Zak
1 cook
1 glassmaker
1 cat
1 kitten
1 miner
1 miller
1 horse foal

Of those that survived there are a few very stout individuals whom I believe I can count on.

Ghib, a siege engineer, has brought up the creative idea of placing catapults on top of the towers we are building. I will have to evaluate this plan for strategic feasibility, but if it works correctly then we might rain death upon our enemies.

Dwarfaholic is adamant about doing nothing but farming. I told him we have much soil that needs tilling and he seemed greatly pleased, but he refuses to do any manual labor.

Zak, a Marksdwarf, lead the group through some incredible odds to make it here, and I feel the journey has weighed heavily on his soul.

=Events as they occurred, 1st Timber, 1061=

Kornash carefully mixed the charcoal, marble, and iron bars together over the pool of hot magma. The fortress was disturbingly short of any captured creatures for a place that seemed constantly hounded by them. Her mind drifted off to the thought of raising some of the great giant bats in the cavern and training them to feast on goblin flesh… It was due to this daydreaming that she did not notice the pale yellow bubbly clawed hand reaching up from the magma pool under the kiln only a few meters away.

Hadriel did not notice it either, for he had just poured another of the melted copper bars into a mold for bolts, and was too busy working to notice an intruder.

A Fire Imp that had long lived with the nuisance of the dwarves suckling at the magma teat of the mountain had finally figured its way into the forge’s magma pit and snuck out to wreak some damage. Although Kornash did not notice, a pair of large brown eyes settled on the slowly moving imp, and the Donkey brayed in fear at the hideous creature. The imp conjured up magical fire from its hands and with a terrible screech, turned the donkey into ashes.

Hadriel and Kornash both jerked back to reality, and sounded the alarm, as the imp readied another fireball and selected a target.

~~~~~
That ends the content I have pre-upgrade! I've already installed the new version (revision b) and hopefully tonight I'll generate more stuff!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19