Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo  (Read 18317 times)

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
Re: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2008, 01:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DoctrZombie:
<STRONG>Current FPS is hovering around 45-50, is that good for 50 dwarves?</STRONG>

Yeah its decent. Not fantastic but you should be set for at least a decade, barring smoldering hells, cat swarms, and hundreds of goblin corpses. It also depends on how fast your prepared to play. Im used to 30-20fps at start on a medium map 3x5 and it remains fairly constant (oddly) so whenever I play on a friends comp (where it can push 150+, after the cap comes off) im always amazed. 50fps is a good number though.

GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2008, 08:51:00 pm »

Haha, my dwarf loves goblins.  So much for the destroyer of the green menace.

Well, maybe he just likes the squeaking sound they make when they die...

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: Krash ]

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2008, 06:07:00 am »

... What an incredibly awkward dwarven trait O.o

No update today, had a busy weekend. Hopefully will resume tomorrow.

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

~~~Diary of Besmar Olonmuzish, Army supply officer, 1059~~~
-10th of Hematite

At last the Human merchants have arrived again. In honor of their arrival I have mandated that we make one ballista part to show our strength to these, our potential allies against the filthy green menace. I do like Ballistae…

The humans have come this time with wagons piled high with wares to trade, and the word about the community is that they have stacks of raw meat piled high from their trek through foreign lands. It will greatly improve the health of the fortress to have some food other than plump helmet cookies and groundhog nuggets.

-12th of Hematite
My negotiations with the Human Merchant, Erdap Pamudkara, went well today. I formally requested meat, fish, seeds, and cattle to help our people survive the recent boon of our numbers. Erdap assured me that they would focus their efforts on bringing food from their plentiful fields provided we kept sending them our fine stone crafts. Apparently their merchant prince has a fondness for them. Who can blame him? Dwarven craftsmanship is the best kind!

-17th of Hematite
Today the fortress decided to elect a new Mayor! Frankly, I was getting tired of the job, which is why it didn’t bother me when Beryl, the squad leader of the all-female combat troop was elected mayor. Apparently she had a strong following among the womenfolk, of which our outpost is dominated by… must be from all the time spent sparring. Oddly enough there were not many votes cast. It’s almost as if the Dwarves have more important things to do than worry about politics.

-8th of Malachite
Once all of our goods were ready, I sent Kivish to trade in my place while I discussed details of our trade agreement with Erdap. Kivish got tons of meat, seeds, some iron equipment, and leather for our goods. He may make a good trader yet! I was just glad to have some relief from all of my other administrative duties. Beryl hasn’t done squat as mayor, and instead demanded better quarters and continued to spar in the barracks!

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2008, 10:19:00 pm »

Good stuff Doc, I like your storytelling. It isn't Nist Akath, but its getting there. Give it 30+ years of game time and events and you could have a legendary fortress. Oh, how is Nilumoz doing? Has it progressed from red to yellow? Or is he going to be a cripple for the next few years ;(...

I don't know what your talking about strife, no mispellings of epic fortresses around here, no sir, nuh uh, no way no how.

[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: Slinkyfest ]

GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2008, 07:10:00 am »

=Events as they occurred, 23rd of Malachite, 1059=

In the darkness below him Cookie saw the faces of demons and goblins, swirling in the depths with their evil faces and twisted motives. He knelt by the chasm’s edge, pointing his loaded crossbow into the darkness as if prepared for some unseen enemy that never came. In time, as he stared off into the unending depths, the faces in the swirling darkness faded away back to the realm of imagination. Cookie stood with a grunt that echoed into the deep, sending a small swarm of bats away from the cavern’s edge and down into the depths.

“Empty. Empty save for bats. Easy, Cookie, no use in going mad out of boredom.” Cookie sighed a combination of regret and relief as he turned to the exit tunnel, longing again for the fresh air and sunlight. It was at this moment that the creature watching from the shadows chose to attack.

The batman lunged from the cliffs above and tackled Cookie to the ground, hissing and biting at his face which Cookie managed to keep only inches away, the two rolled across the Cliffside, grunting, swearing, locked in a fierce grapple. After a few seconds, the batman pinned Cookie to the cold stone and prepared to bite at an area of exposed dwarven flesh.

Cookie instinctively smashed his hard dwarven forehead into the face of the batman, sending it reeling upward just far enough to wiggle the crossbow into place between them. With a hollow thunk Cookie released the bolt still held in the notch from when he was gazing into the darkness below.

Batman blood spattered across the jagged roof of the cavern’s edge, and the creature pressing Cookie’s body to the ground went limp. Cookie rolled the corpse to the side, and vowed never to let boredom cause him to let his guard down again.

~~~Diary of Besmar Olonmuzish, Army supply officer, 1059~~~

-23rd of Malachite
Cookie entered my office today to inform me that he had been in the Chasm and slew a batman. What in the name of Baros was cookie doing in the Chasm? He seemed reluctant to tell me.

-27th of Malachite
I met with the human merchant again today. Apparently the Humans are gearing up for a war of their own. They’ve requested a few of our standard goods, such as rings and food, but they also want maces, short swords, hammers, anvils... military outfits… Erdap didn’t venture any reasons as to why they need the equipment, but I didn’t press for details. I have no reason to distrust the humans, and they haven’t pressured us as to why we’re setting up a huge smelting operation so far from our home.

-8th of Galena
Today is a joyous day for Zirilzuntîr! Meng, wife of Nilumoz, gave birth to a baby girl. The proud parents named her Ineth. I guess all that time Nilumoz has spent in bed wasn’t wasted.

Har Har!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slinkyfest:
<STRONG>Good stuff Doc, I like your storytelling. It isn't Nik Akath, but its getting there. </STRONG>

MISPELLING NIST AKATH?! BLASPHEMY!

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2008, 11:58:00 pm »

Another kill for Cookie.  :D He seems to be living, so perhaps he should get a little time with the military for basic wrestling and some archery practice.  I can't wait till he meets an ambush (if there are any).
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2008, 02:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DoctrZombie:
<STRONG>

-8th of Galena
Today is a joyous day for Zirilzuntîr! Meng, wife of Nilumoz, gave birth to a baby girl. The proud parents named her Ineth. I guess all that time Nilumoz has spent in bed wasn’t wasted.

</STRONG>

Oi, I may not be a great warrior, but at least I'm doing my part to populate the fortress, thats... Productive. Er, no pun intended. Heh, could you post the sprogs screen? I wouldn't mind taking a look.

GENERATION 25:

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2008, 06:13:00 am »

"Sprogs" ?

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »

=Events as they occurred, 14th Limestone, 1060=

Kutsmob Ngomdusmun crept up on a groundhog, silently reaching for the dagger at his side as he crept un-noticed behind the tasty beast. He had been away from home for days, on his way east to a human outpost, but a meal this good could not be passed up. He stretched his long, bony green arms out and quickly stabbed the groundhog, letting it snort and squeal in pain for several moments before snapping its neck. Kutsmob took pleasure in the creature's suffering, as the dark gods taught him to. He feasted on the groundhog's flesh then and there, for no goblin would date let fire ruin a perfectly good meal.

Cookie watched silently from the cliff side nearby, unnoticed by red goblin eyes, he knelt behind the withered stump of an old oak tree, long ago felled for fuel of the steel forges. He could easily take a shot at the goblin, but he remembered the lesson in the cavern well. The creature didn't notice him, and there could be more... there could be others waiting for this loathsome creature's return home. Discretion was the better part of valor for Cookie, and he let the wretched creature feast on the raw flesh and then turn to leave dwarven lands.

As Kutsmob began his long walk down the mountain he took one more deep breath of air, then narrowed his eyes and twisted his crooked teeth into a grin...

He smelled baby.

~~~Diary of Besmar Olonmuzish, Army supply officer, 1060~~~

-15th of Limestone
Cookie approached me today, concerned that the goblins might have finally found us out. He observed one feeding on our northern boarder. He didn't slay the beast, even though I know he is anxious, but he may have saved all of dwarf kind from a horrible fate... If this outpost falls the king will be without the weapons he needs to fuel the war.

-22nd of Limestone
One of our leather workers, Thob, began screaming at random passerby of some "glorious wonder" in his mind. He walled off the leather works and began to gather all sorts of resources. I'm very anxious to see his creation...

-25th of Limestone

The caravan from home has arrived again, and with it come letters from our kin. Many of our citizens have received notes and praise from relatives. Me, I am an old warrior, and have no personal news from the mountains. None-the-less, I received a letter from his majesty, the great King Kosoth. Apparently he has set up a schedule for us to meet. Five steel weapons and 1 suit of armor to be delivered home on the next caravan. Thankfully for us, we finally have the ability to forge such things, so I returned a note to the king wrapped with 24 steel bolts, a small symbol of our loyalty to the crown and to our kind.

I also traded with the merchants, who drove a hard bargain I sold off our stone crafts and a few copper bolts in return for raw resources such as wood and meat. They also had some more picks, gems, and metal bars that we bought off of them... However I should chronicle something that... disturbed me.

The merchants had a guard caravan with them carrying some steel weapons to the north. Apparently the King has, wisely so, not relied solely on our outpost for outfitting the armies. These goods were of human make, but clearly wrought for dwarven bodies. The disturbing thing was that the merchant offered to sell us some, provided we gave him a little more than the king paid for them... He said there were a number of ways a suit of chain mail or steel spear could get lost along the trip... I declined his offer.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2008, 12:44:00 am »

Happy 100th post!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2008, 08:24:49 am »

~~~Diary of Besmar Melbilamal, Army supply officer, 1060~~~

26th of Limestone
This time the goblin snatchers found our home. One tried to sneak in during merchant negotiations and was noticed by our townsfolk who were going about their daily lives. The sheer number of dwarves must have scared her off. One of the merchant guardsman said he recognized the wretch as Ngom Ukuogur, a master thief who has been blamed for several kidnappings in these parts. The military chased her off but didn’t catch her. I will be re-instating active guard duty at the entrance until some guard dogs can be assigned to tethers.

28th of Limestone
Thog emerged from the Leatherworks today with a wondrous suit of leather armor. The whole of the suit is made with giant leopard leather, it is encrusted with Tsavorite,
encircled with bands of pyrite, adorned with hanging rings of groundhog leather, it
menaces with spikes of carp leather and rope reed. He has sewn three images into the front plate in a triangle formation. At the top is an image of a catapult parts in giant leopard leather. To the left is an image of diamonds in alunite. The right point is an image of a diamond in felsite. Since the merchants have not yet left, I asked them to estimate it. Agape with awe, they claimed it was worth more than their entire stock, and valued the craftsdwarfship to be worth 58800. Thog named it "Anvilgallows the Banner of Dips" and tried to explain the name and its imagery to me.

As our fortress is known in the dwarven tongue as “FireAnvil”, “AnvilGallows” represents the failure of our mission, not because we will be horribly slaughtered or anything, but because the quality of leather armor in relation to our steel goods will be superior. I tried to argue this point but then he explained the three images.

The Catapult is a symbol of the strength of our fortress and our race.
The single Diamond in Felsite is a symbol of the strength of body and spirit of a single dwarf.
The group of diamonds together symbolizes the strength of many dwarves together.

I decided to let the name slide, for truly the item was forged in the spirit of dwarfhood, and is further proof that we, the dwarves, are superior craftsmen at all things.

14th of Timber
Ruefus’s behavior is starting to get a little eccentric… Today I witnessed him installing a tin cage trap just behind the door to his room. I’m not sure if he’s afraid of goblins, kobolds, other dwarves, or just the shadows in the dark. I will keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn’t go off the deep end.

Speaking of looking after my fellow dwarves, I stopped to check in on our training militia today. Krash tore the ligaments in his right shoulder, but is healing nicely. He has been well fed and has fresh water to drink. He should be back to practice in a few weeks. Nilumoz no longer has bits of his own bone sticking out of his left forearm. In fact, the cast came off just last week. There’s still a lot of damage to the outer flesh, but Nilumoz is taking things in stride. He actually seems quite happy for the time off. His wife has been taking good care of him as well. It’s good to know that even when accidents happen, our support staff is there to help get us back on our feet.

That reminds me… I should make a trip to the magma pipe to pay my respects…

~~~~~~
Woot new forum with new schnazzy tricks. If anyone has problems with the effects let me know and I won't use them.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2008, 12:02:02 pm »

7th of Moonstone
Our “mayor”, Beryl, has performed her second mayoral act (the first being demanding expensive quarters and forcing dwarves to labor on them instead of other vital tasks). She prohibited the export of items made from groundhog bone, to symbolize how important the groundhogs are to our way of life. Frankly, I think they'd be more useful if sold, hence the whole “Important to our way of life” thing, but she insisted that we keep all of them.

28th of moonstone
Tobul Thobreg, Leatherworker, has withdrawn from society and keeps trying to bite people who wander too close to the Leather crafts workshop. Since this is the second Leatherworker to go completely bonkers this year, I’ve decided there must be something in the air, and have ordered a ventilation shaft dug from the walls nearby.

=Events as they occurred, 20th of Opal, 1060=

“Aye, they say he doesn’t sleep or eat, but keeps drawing pictures of cloth covered with spiders!” Besmar waggled his stubby fingers to emphasize his point to Nifo, who was sharing a plate of Groundhog meat filets, each of which was layered on a Plump Helmet seed bun.

Nifo snorked back a giggle. “Ooh, too bad we used the last silk cloth for a pair of replacement socks.”

Besmar continued to chat casually with Nifo when the hairs on the tip of his beard began to stand on end. In that moment he knew what Nifo saw before it occurred. Something horrible was headed his way. Beryl’s voice confirmed the worst. “Besmar! As mayor of this fortress I have noticed something disturbing! There is a disappointing lack of Lay Pewter around here!”

“Aye lass, there be not tin or lead within the mountain that our miners have so far located!”

“No no, that’s not what I mean! I mean Lay Pewter items! I officially mandate that two items be crafted from the finest Lay Pewter we can find! Make it snappy, Besmar!”

“But…ach…” Besmar sighed his distress as the mayor snatched one of the sandwiches from the table and left in a huff. “Argh! Who would vote for that incompetent woman!?”

Nifo munched innocently without saying a word.

8th of Obsidian
We finished Beryl's order for lay pewter items in time for her to demand groundhog bone items. At least this time we can easily get groundhog bones… the furry menace is everywhere! We were fortunate to have enough Lay Pewter bars from trading with merchants.
I guess my uncle was right. “It never hurts to buy random crap from strangers. You never know when someone will go into a mood and draw pictures of gems or a baron will demand a chair made entirely out of bacon.”

… Bacon Chair… I must speak to Ruefus immediately…

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2008, 03:28:11 am »

“It never hurts to buy random crap from strangers. You never know when someone will go into a mood and draw pictures of gems or a baron will demand a chair made entirely out of bacon.”

… Bacon Chair… I must speak to Ruefus immediately…

HAH! That made me laugh, great work so far, but I do have a request - could you take a few screenshots from around the fortress and just show us the general layout of the place, it sounds like it is becoming quite large.

Keep it up!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19