Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: Zirilzuntīr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo  (Read 18312 times)

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
Re: Zirilzuntīr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2008, 10:10:00 am »

'kay.
EDIT: And, by the way, nice story.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Dwarfaholic ]

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

= Events as they occurred, 9th of Slate 1059=
Cookie idly slid a copper bolt into the notch of his crossbow, as he peered around the corner of the Cliffside at a batch of unknowing enemies. His hunting partner, Kivish, breathed softly behind, similarly prepared for the ambush. Without speaking or breathing, Cookie gave a hand signal and Kivish crossed the green grassy plateau without so much as the snap of a trig. Their quarry remained foolishly unaware of their impending doom.
In a flash and a shout, both dwarves leapt from hiding and littered the sky with copper bolts! Just as quickly as the battle began, it was over, with two dead groundhogs lying twitching in pools of blood, both shot with excellent aim.
Cookie sighed as he picked up the beast in one hand and tucked it under his arm. “Four more and we might have a meal, ‘ey Kivish?”
“Aye… There ain’t enough groundhogs on the mountain to keep us busy and fed.” Kivish seemed lost in his thoughts as he plucked the copper bolt from the ribcage of the small furry sandwich. “I wish something exciting would happen.”
Cookie nodded his approval, at least his hunting partner shared his sentiment. When Cookie came to the outpost, he had hoped to be involved in at least a little killing of Gobbos, but so far the fortress hadn’t contributed to the war effort in any way at all. Hunting small furry animals wasn’t exactly the most exciting of jobs either. Cookie almost longed for the adrenaline rush he got when slaying the giant eagle. Others felt differently. Besmar himself counted it a blessing that the fortress was so unhindered by the forces of evil. Cookie was bored.

= Events as they occurred, 25th of Slate 1059=
Freshly forged hammers clanged against old dented wooden shields while the sparring partners grunted and called out their challenges, occasionally broken by the cheers or laughter of on-looking dwarves. Nilumoz brought his hammer down hard upon Sibrek’s shield, and it made a welcoming thud , knocking his opponent off balance.
Nilumoz taunted the she-dwarf with a bellowing laugh: Hah! Knocked you down again, lass! If I were a goblin ye’d be dead by now, The Gristly Gall would take ye!
Cheers and jeers from the sidelines, as Sibrek rolled back to her feet, raising her hammer and shield high again. “You underestimate me, Nilumoz! I’ve still got fight left in me! Perhaps ye would be better sparring with your wife!”
Nilumoz was not phased by the taunting, being slow to anger, he darted to the side and then charged forward at a calculated pace. By now, however, Sibrek had seen this move too many times, and she was ready, she brought her shield up into Nilumoz’s face and swung her hammer hard sideways, crushing his exposed lower arm. The laughter and cheering stopped immediately as the barracks was filled with the sound of breaking bone.
Had Nilumoz not been knocked unconscious by the shield, the whole fortress would have heard him screaming in pain.

~~~Diary of Besmar Olonmuzish, Army supply officer, 1059~~~
-16th of Slate

The elves have finally taken leave of our magnificent fortress. With them goes the stench of wildflowers and pompousness. I feel cleaner already.
-25th of Slate
Our first major sparring accident has occurred… Nilumoz has taken a serious blow to the lower arm, however we have enough dwarves now that I don’t feel this will hinder our daily productions.

-8th Felsite, 1069
Migrants have arrived.
Still no goblins. Still no flux for making Steel.
Need to keep this entry short, have a lot of people to manage…
Our new arrivals:
1 tanner
1 blacksmith
1 gem cutter
1 pump operator
6 peasants
1 carpenter
1 butcher
1 bowyer
1 engraver
1 fishery worker
1 wood burner
1 metal crafter
1 Donkey Foal
1 Cow Calf
1 hunter
1 miller
1 bone carver
1 fish cleaner
21 dwarves and 2 pets in all. It brings our total population to 53 dwarves.
-6th of Hematite
Praise the miners! They've hit 4-floors worth of Marble! Now we have the flux materials needed to temper steel! I’ve set a production schedule and we will slowly strip-mine all the marble in this area of the mountain, since it is a good distance from our living and working quarters it will not interfere with our current setup, however it may take a long time to haul without extra assistance.

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »

Nice post, but may I ask one thing:
About the groundhogs, you do know they're fairly large animals, right?
Or do your dwarves just eat so much that they don't provide a decent meal?

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

mostly I'm just using them as a metaphor for how boring the hunters lives are right now..the groundhogs provide no threat to them, but yeah the food thing too =P right now most of the fort lives on plump helmets or plump helmet spore meals (have tons of spores so no danger of running out, might as well bake 'em!)
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2008, 11:46:00 pm »

Ohhhh.... Thats what I get for being cocky... oww... Its unfortunate that I had my arm shattered... I'll be useless for the next long while... I liked how you threw in the personality trait, and taunted her with mention of my god... I likes it! (Even if I did get seriously injured) So, how am I? Will I live??
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2008, 06:09:00 am »

Well, it's a red lower left arm injury, so it isn't life threatening, but you know the accidents that happen when healthcare is sacrificed.
I plan to assign all of the non-player dwarves into squads to do important fortress tasks like engraving and farming, so I will definately leave at least two doing nothing but healthcare and hauling. I'm also working on expanding the dining hall into somthing a little more spectacular without damaging the current artworks.
New post probabally won't occur until the weekend or even monday.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2008, 07:33:00 pm »

Very good storytelling so far. Really love the attention to detail.

I'd like to join as a male warrior of some kind, preferably a reckless one.  A macedwarf or somesuch, trained in both unarmed and his beloved goblin-crusher would be great.  Just call him Krash, sounds dwarven enough.

Looking forward to the next update!

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »

Note: I’ve been using Besmar’s first last name instead of the one I finally decided upon all these posts and nobody noticed =P Ruefus’s character was originally Besmar until I wound up realizing it was female and swapped. I’ll fix the mistake in all future posts but I don’t feel like going back through 4 pages and editing them all   :roll:

= Events as they occurred, 10th of Hematite, 1059 =
Crumbs of the plump helmet spore crumpet fell into Besmar's beard as he noisily chewed at his private office desk, peering down at a stack of digging plans and work orders. He set down the remainder of the crumpet next to a finely crafted stone mug filled with cold dwarven ale. “Fifty two, other than myself. That’s how many lives I am now accountable for…”

Besmar shook out his beard and set to work upon the work orders for the future of the outpost, and first up was the duty roster.

Of the original six that remain, the following tasks shall be re-instated.
Besmar – Train as Axedwarf, be Mayor until a new one is elected.
Nifo – Smith weapons and smelt bars
Kira – Smith armor
Boatsmoke – Cut trees
Ruefus – Lead the mining tasks in the marble deposit in the northeast, build mechanisms
Cookie – Hunt, Cook.

Of those dwarves who have joined us and exhibit great promise...
Jonathan – Assist with the excavation of the marble deposit
Kornash – Smith Armor and Metal objects
Nilumoz – Lead the Hammerdwarves
Krash – Train as a Macedwarf  (Profile to come asap)

Six of the current military dwarves will continue to train thusly:
3 marksdwarves
3 in melee battle

Of the remaining 36 dwarves, the workload should be broken down thusly, with the most experienced dwarves filling the slots first and dwarves without any useful skills filling the remaining spots:
3 shall till the soil and work the fruit of the earth into useful goods,
1 shall brew fine drink,
2 shall craft fine wooden furniture,
3 shall become masons,
2 shall become stonecrafters
2 shall craft bone shell and wood
3 shall dig into the earth
1 shall prepare meat
1 shall prepare fish
1 shall cook meals as Cookie’s apprentice
1 shall hunt as Cookie’s wingman.
3 shall smooth and engrave our halls
1 shall pull fish and turtle from the ponds and brook
1 shall train our dogs into fierce animals of war
1 shall build siege engines to defend our fortress
1 shall cut jewels to adorn our goods
1 shall fashion leather clothing
1 shall tan leather hides
1 shall spin thread into cloth
1 shall knit cloth into clothing
1 shall fashion Crossbows of bone and wood, as well as craft trinkets of such items
1 shall be available entirely for healthcare of the wounded.
3 shall perform odd jobs that are not explicitly listed above.

All dwarves except Besmar will be expected to haul items, bury the dead, and tend to the healthcare of other dwarves.

Besmar set down the quill pen in which he had inked this mandate, and rolled the scroll up, melting the official royal seal into the side with wax. He would bring it up to the assembly tomorrow night, and ask for improvements or suggestions.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

Woo hoo! Cookie's got an apprentice and a wingman and he's not dead yet!  I'm happy, and yet sad at the same time.  No bloodshed   :( .
All generalizations are false....including this one.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

Krash's profile.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2008, 08:56:00 pm »

Hey, looks like its all going well so far. But I have a question:

How good is your FPS? and related, what's the population cap set at? It looks as though the fortress is going to get really crowded soon and I'd hate if we had to start drowning the migrants etc.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2008, 11:36:00 pm »

so far things are running very smoothly. The laptop I'm running the game on has 3gb of ram, but there is a large amount of constant fluid motion going on. I don' see a problem at 50, and hope that things are still progressing at 100 without major issues, but yes framerate is a hurdle I will cross when we get there..

btw, how can I check fps in game?

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

It's an init setting, right after the block of graphics options.

[FPS:YES]

All generalizations are false....including this one.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2008, 12:02:00 am »

Ok, I've assigned the dwarven workforce as is stated above--if anyone has advice or recommendations for changes, please let me know as I can easily accomidate most things. Only change listed above is instead of 3 designated "odd jobs" people I drafted 1 into militairy to spar against Krash and 2 into the guard.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2008, 12:18:00 am »

Current FPS is hovering around 45-50, is that good for 50 dwarves?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19