Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo  (Read 18300 times)

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
Re: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »

I just read through your posts and it sounds like this is going to be a fun fortress, I was hoping I would I be able to have a dwarf from the present immigration wave. I've always wanted to be in a community fortress and this one has a great yarn-spinner leading it, so what the hell, eh?

Name: Nilumoz
Occupation: Hammerdwarf (one of of the recently recruited if possible, the previous career doesn't concern me as much as the future)

If it were possible Id like to get one or two of the following personality traits, but if it is too much of a pain, don't bother. I'm easy either way. If nothing else it flavours the character a little. Thanks in advance!

Is put off by authority and tradition.
Is self-disciplined.
Is slow to trust others.
Is confident under pressure.
Enjoys the company of others.
Is often cheerful.
Is very quick to anger.
Is very active.
Has a calm demeanor.
Is very willing to compare itself/himself/herself favorably with others

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Slinkyfest ]

GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

I'll see what I can do about the personality requests, but right now it's hard enough just finding a spare MALE dwarf =D seems like 2/3 of the fortress is female O.o I just discovered that all 5 militairay dwarves including my sheriff were women.

I've gotten a few months of events written up already, so your charactor will enter in the next immigrant wave.

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DoctrZombie:
<STRONG>I'll see what I can do about the personality requests, but right now it's hard enough just finding a spare MALE dwarf =D seems like 2/3 of the fortress is female O.o I just discovered that all 5 militairay dwarves including my sheriff were women.

I've gotten a few months of events written up already, so your charactor will enter in the next immigrant wave.</STRONG>

Haha oh wow... Alright, well, when one comes up. Just ignore the personality traits then. Wait, is the mayor female as well? Could be the beginning of a true dwarven matriarchy...

GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2008, 08:29:00 am »

Well I've got Besmar set up in all of the current expidition leader roles except sheriff, although I will be changing someone else to do book-keeping soon.

Post later today!

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2008, 11:40:00 am »

~~~Diary of Besmar Olonmuzish, Army supply officer, 1059~~~

-14th of Galena
Today, on my normal rounds of checking on people, I wandered by Kira who was simply giddy over something. When I stopped to ask him what was going on, he just walked right on by me without so much as a how-do-ya-do! I figured he was intentionally leaving me out of some big fun secret so I stormed after him just in time to watch him claim a mason's workshop and kick everyone else out. Kira hurriedly grabbed up some stone and rough gems and set to work on something...

-22nd of Galena
Kira created Zegnokzam "Tattoobattle" an Alunite Coffer worth 6000. It is encrusted with pyrite and encircled with bands of Alunite. On the item is an image of a dwarf in Felsite.
What it has to do with tattoos or battles, I don't know, but I’ve ordered it to be installed in the Sheriff’s new bedroom. I will appoint a Sheriff as soon as the rooms are complete.

-17th of Limestone
The dwarven caravan has arrived again, and this time our tunnel is complete and the wagons have come. There are dwarven goods the likes of which I have never seen, but most importantly, they have Anvils.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2008, 09:46:00 am »

= Events as they occurred, 23rd of Limestone =
Besmar kept his “Joküra Face” as he watched the Dwarven merchant leader rifle through a box of wood, stone, and bone crafts. The trader was equally stern as his fingers rubbed over the smooth work of fine dwarven craftsmanship. Besmar knew the goods in those bins was worth at least three thousand coins back home, but out here… well, Dwarves could do a lot of things with stone, but they couldn’t eat it.

After several minutes, the merchant looked up and smiled slyly. “I’ll give you Twenty Six hundred, if you throw in a barrel of ale.”

Besmar gave his best fake-laugh. “Har Har! The Ale is worth two hundred alone! Make it Thirty Two and we’ve got a deal.”

The merchant’s face turned sour, and he glanced over his shoulders at his apprentices, who were sorting out the steel toys from their kin in the south. After Besmar’s last Tirade about steel toys, he reluctantly decided not to anger the dwarf again.

“Very good. Now, about that Anvil you’ve been looking at…”

-23rd of Limestone
We finally got that anvil, as well as some other useful trinkets from the caravan, including some picks and cloth. I finally feel optimistic about our future as a military supply outpost, and more importantly, there was no letter from the king with the caravan. I suppose he decided to let us be for a year and send further orders next year. Hopefully by then we will have a running steel mill. Nifo tells me that in order to smelt steel we need to find a special kind of rock in the mountains, so I’ll be ordering new mining shafts dug deep into the earth as soon as possible, but for now I’ve ordered the smiths to make use of Copper. It might not be the best metal for dwarven weapons, but it sure beats wood and bone.

-8th of Timber

Another wave of immigrants!
1 armorer
3 stone crafters
1 crafts dwarf
1 puppy
1 donkey foal
2 Peasants
1 Farmer

Having so many stone-crafters sent to us is a mixed blessing. I now have to set up several more shops, but we will be well supplied for the next wagons. I made the decision to draft the two Peasants into our militia, since we will likely need more protection now that the Anvil is in use.

I went down to the barracks to add the new recruits to the rotation when I realized every single dwarf on duty was a woman! I counted twice to be sure, but every dwarf I added to the roster from our first immigration wave was female!

Far be it from me to be sexist, I added a man to the squad. Nilumoz shows great potential and was excited to be trained in the ways of the hammer. The hammer has long been a symbol of justice and prosperity for our clan, so I ordered a few copper ones built while the recruits continue to wrestle.

Additionally I’ve ordered the hollowing out of yet another adjoining room to the Barracks, which now has three rooms total: The main fighting arena, the sleeping quarters (which could use another dozen beds by my account), and the soon-to-be-built Archery range.

-21st of Timber
Ruefus and cookie have long been up and about, but I haven't noticed because of the stresses of having so many new occupants begging for attention.

Kira and Nifo have expressed extreme displeasure about having to share the magma forge. I can't wait to get that second anvil so I can stop hearing their bickering, not to mention doubling the speed at which I can outfit our soldiers with copper weapons and armor.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

I will attempt to add more info about Nilumoz's wife and diety later today or tomorrow.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

Zizcun spittome the gristly gall is a male dwarf associated with death, disease, inspiration and art.

His wife, Meng, is currently acting as a farmer. If you want full bio for her I can grab a screenshot.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »

I'm wondering what you will be using as a flux? The biome you showed on the map on page 1 showed no flux. There was a second biome so there may be some there. Is there a layer of marble in the second biome or are we going to have to import lots and lots of flux?

Also since we weren't able to bring any coal that means that the mountain homes don't have access to any sedimentary layers which means they don't have access to Limestone, dolomite, chalk or calcite. If they don't have access to marble and there is no marble in the neighboring biome we may be steelless. This expedition may of failed before began.

Even if we can import it and don't have it immediately available we would need to import 1 piece for every bar of steel we will use. A full suit of armor will take 7? pieces of steel. Add a weapon and a shield and that brings us to 9 pieces. We needed to export 50 full sets of armor and weapons. that means we will need 450 steel bars and to obtain that we will need 450 pieces of flux. Minimum.

[ June 03, 2008: Message edited by: THLawrence ]

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

I have noticed that as being a possible problem... I'm exploring both biomes quickly, and If it winds up being the case that this plot of land doesn't have any feasable way to produce steel then I might have to add a good plot twist.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

to be honest, I'm more concerned about the fact that there hasn't been a single goblin or kobold yet.... I hope I didn't pick an immune place.. O.o

EDIT: Just discovered marble, that should suffice for flux =D still no gobbos but I'm 90% certain they can reach me....

[ June 03, 2008: Message edited by: DoctrZombie ]

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DoctrZombie:
<STRONG>Zizcun spittome the gristly gall is a male dwarf associated with death, disease, inspiration and art.

His wife, Meng, is currently acting as a farmer. If you want full bio for her I can grab a screenshot.</STRONG>

Haha oh man this guy is going to be the downfall of the fort... He doesnt like to compromise, he is immodest, his god is a god of death, disease, inspiration and art... All of which (except for disease, perhaps) regularly kill dwarves. He sounds like the god of Dwarvish Moods! THis is going to be great, though I cant say I expected to be married. Ah well, ought to be interesting, unless I'm killed in the first raid  :D

GENERATION 25:

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2008, 08:28:00 am »

-19th of Moonstone
The miners, who were ordered to search for a flux material for our steel mills, have breached a great crack in the earth. It is a pit that they claim has no end.

-9th of Opal

Today during my normal administrative rounds, I stopped by the barracks to check on the status of our hardened warriors. Each of our recruits is progressing well, although they could do with some better equipment. I did however learn the name of the all female squad that has been training since the beginning. You can't make this shit up.

I may have made a grave error when assigning five women to spar together.

-14th of Opal

Today Boatsmoke was busy in the kitchen cooking when he suddenly had the urge to confiscate a mason’s workshop. Apparently he saw something swirling in the stew and decided it was a vision of a great artifact. He drug some of the biggest Felsite boulders he could find and a rough Pyrite gem and started working feverously.

I ‘avn’t heard a dwarf curse so much when he wasn’t even injured.

-19th of Opal

Another coffer. Ifinbelal "The Hardy Fame" a Felsite coffer. It menaces with spikes of Felsite and Pyrite.
It's worth a cool 4800, which isn't much but it sure does look nice. I've ordered it placed in Boatsmoke's room for all to admire, mainly because I feel if I ordered it set in anyone else’s room Boatsmoke would kick me in the yarbles.

With two coffers having been built, I can't help but feel my fellow dwarves are trying to tell me something… We do have access to gold and copper, perhaps I should order a few coins smelted.

-19th of Obsidian

The air around the mountain is cooler, but winter never comes here, for the magma warms all the stone. Winter is nearly over with nothing special to report. Food stocks are green, Booze is running low but that can be easily amended by adding a few dwarves to the planting and brewing rosters. Cookie and Kivish, our two hunters, are easily clearing out the wildlife. So far no signs of goblin or kobold filth. I’m beginning to think our new home is a blessing.

-23rd of Obsidian

Bats! In the Chasm! At least one scout saw a batman and killed it, but more evil lurks in the dark... I blame myself for tempting fate in my last entry! So far we have had no accidents, but one of our marksdwarves did slay one of the foul abominations with some copper bolts.

-13th of Granite

The forest folk have arrived. I prefer batmen. I will go and deal with them for whatever all natural organic crap they’ve managed to coax into self-suicide, but first I must find a way to keep the stench of unwashed flower children from my nostrils!

-1st of Slate

This month marks the second successful barter between our people and the Elvenkind. Amazingly I’ve managed to keep any knowledge of the Hoary Marmot totems or idols decorated with groundhog bone a complete secret from them. All they brought was a few plants and some logs and bins of cloth. I bought nearly everything with a few dozen stone crafts. Frankly I’m just glad to be rid of the excess stone from our halls. The miners have still not found a flux material and I’m becoming concerned that we won’t be able to fulfill our quota of steel…

edit:spacing

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: DoctrZombie ]

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2008, 09:45:00 am »

What? Boatsmoke? COOKING? Heresy!

So, you have two legendary masons now. Nice.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2008, 10:02:00 am »

I believe so, yes. And one legendary woodcrafter which is basically useless.

I will be re-assigning everyone's jobs again next time I play, although the task of splitting up 50 dwarves into work units is daunting enough that I have so far put it off. Boatsmoke has spent the majority of his time mining or slaying trees, but he just happened to be making food when he went into a mood.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19