Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo  (Read 18295 times)

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 04:59:00 am »

I'd wanted the coal in case there wasn't magma or enough wood to burn, but since there is magma, no problem!
The olivine was because I personally like the green stones and was hoping to make Ruefus' workshop(s) and furniture out of them. More a something for when plain survival is less important, and since Ruefus prefers light blue anyway, I'll say don't worry about it unless there's a microcline cluster (or similarly-colored stone) in the immediate area.
Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 06:06:00 am »

You're in luck; I know I've seen several blue clusters in the area and I think our main stairwell goes right through some.
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 06:18:00 am »

So... when should we be getting the next update?

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 06:54:00 am »

Should be in a few hours. After that updates might be slim (or at least with few game-based details =p) until next tuesday. Updates will be a little slow on this fort as I don't get much time to actually play DF. I'll play during my off-hours, write down some notes, and then fill in the blanks when I'm at work   ;)
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 10:58:00 am »

~~~Diary of Besmar Olonmuzish, Army supply officer, 1058~~~

-16th of Granite

I have completed my preliminary survey of the local landscape, and I know that the king chose wisely. The magma pipe does not breach the surface, so it will be less noticable by goblin eyes, and the surface of the landscape is dotted by ore veins. Gold, Hematite, and Cinnabar, among others, and that's only on the surface! Beneth these hills there must be an even greater treasure...

-19th of Granite

I noticed that "Cookie" was running around attempting to hunt the local wildlife, which consists of Hoary Marmots and Mountain Goats, with his crossbow. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem, except that we ran out of bolts on our journey north. I’m not one to question a Dwarf’s sanity, but I ordered a Craftsdwarf shop built and had Cookie churn out a few wooden bolts. At least he’ll have some distance now…

We don’t have any skilled carpenters with us, so I’ve taken up the task of fashioning beds, bins, and barrels in the carpenter’s shop. I’m getting better. Today I only sawed my thumb a little bit!

-6th Slate
We’ve finally hollowed out a bedroom for each dwarf. I’ve assigned myself the largest bedroom, and the second largest to Nifo, our forge mistress. The other dwarves havn’t complained about the uneven room sizes for two reasons: One, I promised that once our basic survival needs are met the rooms will be enlarged to suit our personal needs. Two, the rooms are larger than anything we had back in the mountainhomes.

Beds are being installed as I write this, but I’m feeling a wee bit tired. All of this digging and surviving might be easier for the younger lads but I think I’ll just take a quick nap in Nifo’s bed… After all, she hasn’t claimed it yet. What’s the worst that can happen?

-15th of Slate
Ahh, Refreshing! As I was waking up from my quick nap, mostly because I was being pestered by an angry Nifo who had to sleep on the floor while I used her bed, I thought about how there are a lot of critical jobs that need to be finished immediately. I’ve assigned certain tasks to be done by multiple dwarves, such as farming, masonry, and carpentry. Gotta get these rooms finished as soon as possible, and we gotta start growing plump helmets before winter hits. We have lots of food and booze stocks right now, but I’d rather have a permanent supply. Besides, Cookie hasn’t brought in any animals yet! All he has been doing is cooking our current meat and turtle stocks into biscuits. I’ll be sure to assign someone else to cook as well so that Cookie can get out on the killing fields.

-20th of Slate
I sent Cookie out with two wardogs to hunt some of the wild animals on the mountain. Nifo protested a little that I sent her wardog with Cookie, but I insisted that the fresh air and exercise would be good for the dog, and that Nifo would be cooped up inside all day anyway as soon as we aquire an anvil. I also swore that Nifo would get TWO wardogs once we raised some puppies. She seemed to take it well but you never know what a Dwarfmaiden is thinking…

~~~~

Events as they happened on the 23rd of slate, 1058.

Cookie peered over toward the brook to the south from behind a large granite stone that jutted from the rocky surface of the mountain. He had been on the hunt for a few days, and had finally tracked down a pair of Hoary Marmots to their nesting site by the brook. With one hand resting on the trigger of his crossbow, the other holding tight the collar of Nifo’s wardog, Cookie waited for the right moment to release both upon the playful, yet delicious, mammal sunning itself on the rocks.

“GRAAAHHGH!!!” Cookie’s warcry sounded across the empty rock plateau, causing the Hoary Marmot to stand on its hind legs, confused and unaware. The wood bolt struck through the creature’s side and splattered the bank with blood. Stunned, the creature barely had time to react before Nifo’s dog tore out it’s throat. The hunt took days to come to this conclusion, and only seconds to finish. With a frightened squeek, the other marmot took to the brook and swam quickly downstream.

“Doesn’t matter. We’ll get her soon boy.” Cookie stroked the fur of his hunting companion before hauling the corpse of the Marmot back to his room.

“He put the thing in his bedroom?” Besmar looked confused at Boatsmoke, who had come to tell of the hunter’s first success.

“Yeah. You haven’t ordered the construction of a butchery yet. Where the hell was he going to put it?” Boatsmoke folded his arms across his broad dwarven chest, in his typical anti-authoritative manner. Besmar would have been annoyed if he wasn’t completely correct.

“Aye. Have someone dig a room off to the side of the food stockpile then. Have cookie set it up since he’s the best for the job.

“I would, but he’s gone off hunting the other Marmot!” Boatsmoke chuckled slightly.

~~~~

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 03:15:00 pm »

I thought it appropriate to take a moment to talk about the gods.

Kira worships Cenath Crazyfeathers, a male dwarf associated with War and Fortresses.

Boatsmoke worships Aran, a male dwarf associated with the wind.

Ruefus and Besmar worship Baros, a male Pike associated with Nightmares, the night, dreams, oceans, coasts, lakes, fish, and fishing.

Nifo worships Enor Bershin, a female dwarf associated with jewels.

Xombis worships Zizcun ostobmelbil Mithmisdushig, a male dwarf associated with death, disease, inspiration, and art. Appropriate for someone whos parents were murdered by the green filth.

Cookie worships Dastot Zatamezar, a female dwarf associated with revenge. Also appropriate given his background!

Very diverse and very strange group of dieties. I can see this group becoming cold, hardened war vets =P

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »

-24th Felsite
Cookie has returned with the other Marmot, and dropped this one into his room as well. I ordered him to build a butcher workshop in the newly renovated side room and he gleefully went about doing it. I also ordered him to, temporarily, stop hunting. This will give him more time to make biscuits and roasts and such.

Also, while digging space for a freshwater well to be drawn from the brook, we struck native copper! I have ordered it mined out so that once we get an anvil we can start making new picks and axes to speed up the progress of building our fort. Soon the reinforcements from the king will come, and I wish to be ready for them.

-1st of Hematite
Summer has come. I have ordered the construction of a trade depot so that we can get access to the anvil we so desperately need. Also, since the area in which we live is so...cliffy... I have ordered several ramps dug from the stone to give better access from the lower levels to the higher levels. I know this ruins one of our primary means of defense--the natural curvature of the mountain-- but we need an anvil more than we need solitude.

-17th of Hematite
I've ordered all of our bedrooms expanded to something a little more inspiring. Once dug, I will smooth the walls myself. I have drawn up the plans on a scrap of hide that was unused. I will tack it here in the logbook for further reference.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »

I'd like to request that whenever i get my new puppies their names are Dot and Oatey.

also be sure you don't cook all those turtles and lobsters I brought, we may need the shells if somebody starts getting any ideas for an item that just HAS to be made.

[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: Vactor ]

Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 10:45:00 pm »

I always love going to sleep with the sent of freshly killed meat in my nostrils.

Thanks for the quirky character!

Oh, and out of curiosity, how are the relationships?  Any grudges, lovers, or other such interesting things?

[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

All generalizations are false....including this one.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 02:37:00 am »

I was wondering if I could have an immigrant, preferably male and miner. Name: Jonathan

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 06:19:00 am »

Nothing out of the ordinary relationship wise so far. Everyone is either friends or long time aquaintences with everyone else. Right now social contact is basically limited to saying hello as they run past each other in the hallway.

I'll take care to make sure some shell survives. There are a few ponds around and a brook so hopefully a steady supply of turtles incase we do run out. (I saw one crawling around already)

Added Jonathan to the list.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 11:00:00 am »

Update to come later today. It's a good one =D

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

Events as they happened on the 18th of Hematite, 1058

The strike of copper pick against rough stone caused a few blue sparks to light the cavern walls. In the otherwise dark cavern, Boatsmoke and Kira repeatedly struck the earth. The two were the finest miners in Zirilzuntîr, and after working so closely day by day, had become an incredible team. The Cavern was nearly two shift-arrows long and three dwarves wide, and the pairing had cleared it out in a matter of days.

“Besmar told us this cavern was of extreme importance to our outpost” Kira grunted, heaving another chunk of microcline from the wall. “I don’t see what could be more important than smoothing out our bedrooms and creating a proper rock craft zone though.”

The next pick broke through the wall and a warm red light filtered in, lighting up the cavern. Both dwarves set their picks down and pushed the remaining rocks out into the open cavern, squinting as the bright red glow of the magma pool illuminated half the hallway behind them.

“I felt it getting warmer.”  Boatsmoke grinned as he folded his arms across his beard. “Let’s go spread the good news with the other dwarves! A round of Dwarven Beer for all!”

-18th of Hematite
Boatsmoke and Kira, our best miners, finally breached the magma pool today! I ordered everyone take a few moments to drink an extra round together as a group. During the “meeting” a few issues came up.

Firstly, the dwarves are a bit weary of doing jobs they were not raised to do. We have some exceptional skill going to waste in our group. I assured everyone that this would be rectified as soon as possible, but that there were a few more critical tasks that needed to be done, such as mining and farming. Most importantly, we need to set up a freshwater well, in case the booze should run low, or if someone became injured.

Another thing that came up was a little more disturbing. Xombis, who had been out for a stroll, surveying the local plant life, discovered the bodies of two Batmen who appeared to have died of ... unnatural causes. I’m very distressed at the thought of a colony of batmen nearby. Fortunately, we have seen nothing dangerous yet.

Lastly, some good news, We have two bins full of rock crafts ready for the first caravan!

Things appear to be going well… too well…

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »

Thanks for the update!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

Events as they occurred, 7th of Malachite, 1058

The hot sun bore down upon Cookie’s back as he trudged across the stone plateau of the mountain highest point. Cookie liked it up here. It was far away from the other dwarves, but the rough wilderness of the mountain reminded him of what it meant to be a hunter. His only companionship was with the dogs, Chomper and Strangler, who had proven extremely useful in bringing down the Hoary Marmots.

A shadow passed over him, and for a moment Cookie felt relief from the hot summer sun, until he gazed down at the shape on the ground. A loud screech confirmed his worst fears. Cookie’s instincts told him to take off running on foot, and duck his head, but instead he fought those urges, loading a bolt into his crossbow, he swiveled around and prepared to meet the Giant Eagle head on. Doing so probabaly saved his life.

Cookie turned in place and screamed back at the giant monster, raising his arms to steady his crossbow for a shot. Unfortunately he was too late, and his arms only served to shield his face from the giant talons bearing down upon him. The eagle tore two giant chunks of dwarf flesh from his right lower arm, as the dogs barked helplessly, running in circles on the mountaintop.

The eagle kept moving, and through the pain, Cookie grimaced and raised his crossbow with his good arm. He knelt on the ground and waited, blood running down his limp arm, as the Eagle circled around again.

The eagle screamed its anger and hunger down at the mountain as it soared back in line with the dwarf. Clearly the tiny warrior was hurt, as it was kneeling on the ground with blood all around it. The eagle swooped in for an easy meal.

Cookie waited with sweat rolling down his brow, armed with only wooden bolts to protect him, he leveled the crossbow’s plain copper sights on the Eagle’s head.

And walked away when the deed was done.

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: DoctrZombie ]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19